Training for a race tips??

Dajerseyrat

I want to do a race this spring, the Mayhem MTB Race on March 23rd and don't really know what to expect. From what I understand it was described as 18 miles of "mostly flat with singletrack and dirt roads, some roots and log overs, a gravel railroad tie descent and a short pitched climb and descent" Im gonna run the over 200lbs class which I feel I will be most competitive in and be less discouraged for my first event.
My question is, how do I train for this?? I have ridden 19 and 20 miles on a few occasions, but most of my rides are 10 to 14 miles with 1500 to 1800 feet of elevation. What should I be doing to prepare physically and mentally to just finish this race. Any tips??

RobW

IMHO....just do a cat 3 race which is more of a first timer race...but just show up and have fun....and take it all in.

Dajerseyrat

IMHO....just do a cat 3 race which is more of a first timer race...but just show up and have fun....and take it all in.
Here is the double edged sword, I can run the 45 year old Cat 3 race, but have to race against guys that are light and fast, Im 225lbs. I think trying to keep the pace of a 155lb guy regardless of age would kill me. Then I could be in a class with a 225lb 20 year old who I also cant keep up with...What to do, what to do...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For where you are in your riding life, you seem to be in the area of riding as much as you can is your training. You probably dont have the base fitness to make intervals worth much of anything. Just ride alot and ride hard, then worry about training next year.

Dajerseyrat

For where you are in your riding life, you seem to be in the area of riding as much as you can is your training. You probably dont have the base fitness to make intervals worth much of anything. Just ride alot and ride hard, then worry about training next year.
intervals? Please expound on these bad boys?? I am in a weird riding spot actually...I am kind of in between levels,as in Im in pretty good shape for 225 and am faster than some of the guys my age and can keep up with some 20 to 30 year olds, but then there is that certain group of riders I just cant hang with, like at all... I kinda just want to do this to see how I do as an experience, Im just looking for the LEAST discouraging option in this event.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
intervals? Please expound on these bad boys?? I am in a weird riding spot actually...I am kind of in between levels,as in Im in pretty good shape for 225 and am faster than some of the guys my age and can keep up with some 20 to 30 year olds, but then there is that certain group of riders I just cant hang with, like at all... I kinda just want to do this to see how I do as an experience, Im just looking for the LEAST discouraging option in this event.
Not explaining because you don't need them. Fast is relative to who you are riding with, as you mention. Note that I have done a total of 4 races in my lifetime, but race training doesn't really apply to cat 3. Don't over think it, just ride a lot.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
just race - cat 3 45+ - you'll be fine.
if you want to compete for podium, just stay up with the front group. if you can't hold on, just race everyone else in the race.
you'll find plenty of people to test fitness and bike handling (not so much tech down there i guess) against.
Laugh when done, heckle cheer other races.

there are going to be other categories on the course at the same time, the juniors are going to blow you up,
the younger people just starting to race are going to go flying by.

Enjoy it. got to get a race in before you can understand it.
And do a short track race - good workout, cause 40minutes non-stop, and you'll get the feeling for passing and being passed.

Dajerseyrat

Don't over think it, just ride a lot.
Ill do this. lol but if Im racing 18 miles should I be riding 20 to 25 on a regular?? Where you ride has a lot to do with it also. As someone said the coarse is flat and fast, Im used to riding Hartshorn for 10 to 14 miles with all the elevation and climbs..

Dajerseyrat

just race - cat 3 45+ - you'll be fine.
if you want to compete for podium, just stay up with the front group. if you can't hold on, just race everyone else in the race.
you'll find plenty of people to test fitness and bike handling (not so much tech down there i guess) against.
Laugh when done, heckle cheer other races.

there are going to be other categories on the course at the same time, the juniors are going to blow you up,
the younger people just starting to race are going to go flying by.

Enjoy it. got to get a race in before you can understand it.
And do a short track race - good workout, cause 40 minutes non-stop, and you'll get the feeling for passing and being passed.
Cat 3 is 2 laps for 12 miles...I kind of want to push myself for the 18 miles in the 200lbs + class...But I also kind of dont want to gas out and not finish...Such a dilemma. uggggg..

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ill do this. lol but if Im racing 18 miles should I be riding 20 to 25 on a regular?? Where you ride has a lot to do with it also. As someone said the coarse is flat and fast, Im used to riding Hartshorn for 10 to 14 miles with all the elevation and climbs..
In general, if you are consistently riding 1/2-3/4 of the event distance, you can do the other distance at a similar pace. So your 14 miles is in that range. Try and not stop and maintain a constant effort.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
^ This - then just do the race and you’ll know where you need to improve.
Agree..

I kinda just want to do this to see how I do as an experience, Im just looking for the LEAST discouraging option in this event.

Cat 3 is two laps, Clydesdale is three laps. Choose whichever distance you think you can go 100% gas for.

Flatter that Harts. Like 350-400 feet over 12 miled type flat.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to do a race this spring, the Mayhem MTB Race on March 23rd and don't really know what to expect.

Step 1 - register. Just sign up and commit. Whatever category you want, doesn't matter.
Then show up with zero expectations of anything.
That course is as easy as it gets so no need to pre ride. Have fun. Write about it. Then register for Ringwood which is the polar opposite and has actual trails and rocks and is a much better representation of mountain biking.

Mountain Bike Mike

Focus on time vs mileage... NON stop time / Moving time..

Lets say your CAT 3 race is 50 minutes.. you’re going to go as hard as you can for 50 minutes.. how do you think you’ll be ready to hammer for 50 minutes?

The course is comparable to Allaire.. Can you hammer nonstop at Allaire for 50 minutes? If not, ride more and work up to that...

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just race and don't think too hard about miles and training and all that. Just do it for the experience. Maybe you'll be DFL. Someone has to be. Do it for the experience and worry about training later.

RobW

Not comparable.. but one would think. Hartshorne gives you areas to recover. Flat and fast mtb mayhem has no recovery zone so just keep that in mind- full gas

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
By the end of the week I'll have the Short Track series up. This is a series of 3, short format races, that are reasonably priced. You won't have to worry about what class to run, because we have pretty much expert and non-expert. Jump in the non-expert and see how it goes. You can do 3 of these then see where you think you are for the following weekend, which is Mayhem or Madness or whatever it's called now.

If you want to test the waters this is a good start.

Keep in mind that the guys you ride with and the guys you race with are probably a totally different set of people. The first race day is a bit of a shock to some people.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Cat 3 is 2 laps for 12 miles...I kind of want to push myself for the 18 miles in the 200lbs + class...But I also kind of dont want to gas out and not finish...Such a dilemma. uggggg..

you'll be on the course with the cat 2 racers in the clydes class. i'm thinking that you may not end up "racing" anyone there.

think of it as you'll be able to go harder for the 12 miles, rather than saving up for the last lap. i can guarantee you will be mixing it up
in cat 3 - either catching people, or holding them off.

Top Bottom