Trail/xc rear tire

oobaa47

Can anyone recommend a decent rear tire for the rocky stuff here in NJ? I currently have an ardent race on the rear, but the sidewalls are shredded down to the threads. The rim is a 27.5 stans ztr crest but I'm still running tubes. Thanks!!

gtluke

The Moped
I've had really good luck with Shwalbe tires with the nice sidewalls. But they are a bit pricey(unless you buy them on ebay). They also have THREE different rubber compounds and nobody seems to pay attention to that when giving their opinion on them. It's like 3 different tires with the same tread pattern. So do some homework. I run pacestar in the back and trailstar in the front. That's the compound. I run Hans Dampf tread pattern in the front, and Nobby Nic in the rear. These might be a bit too "trail" for XC racing though
Also, ditch the tubes.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You have Crests, which set up tubeless like a dream, and you run tubes?:confused:

jackx

I have had good luck running Maxxis Ignitors 2.1 on rear, tubeless. A lot of others would recommend Ignitors too.
But in my experience, after a while, the Stan's sealant eats thru the tread. Ignitors are a good tread pattern for around here, and you should have better luck with tubes.

I Recently installed a WTB Bronson TCS Light 2.2, but after 135 miles, shows considerable tread wear.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
im a maxxis fanboy so minnion ss or tomahawk rear paired with minnion dhf or highroller 2 front , exo casing of course , and its 2016 run tubeless

oobaa47

I know, I know......I need to ditch the tubes. I bought the bike over the winter and just have been too lazy to convert. I've also had a lot of luck running tubes on my dh bike so I'm just a creature of habit I guess............thx for the tire recommendations......

DargSide

im a maxxis fanboy so minnion ss or tomahawk rear paired with minnion dhf or highroller 2 front , exo casing of course , and its 2016 run tubeless

Maxxis fanboy as well, go with the minion ss, that's my next rear tire

oobaa47

ok, so I went with the maxxis tomahawk EXO for my rear and alas, a maxxis tomahawk DD arrived. The DD looks like it has thicker sidewalls and is about 100 grams heavier based on my limited research. DD appears to be more of an enduro type tire. So my questions is, is this complete overkill of a tire for the rocky terrain around here? It will be used for mostly xc around the usual trails up here (jh, ringwood, etc). I tip the scales at 220lbs, and I'm not much of a weight weenie where shaving grams off the bike is important, I'd rather have less of a chance of flatting then a slighter lighter ride. But, (knock on wood) I currently have a maxxis ardent on the rear (with tubes...I know, I know) that has paper thin sidewalls with threads exposed everywhere and I haven't flatted yet on it.......just not sure what to do....

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you haven't flatted riding those areas tell me your running a vet high PSI. That there makes riding those area very sketchy as you must be getting bounced all around.

It's a must to go tubeless to benefit the lower PSI, it will make your bike riding experience feel like your on a totally different bike.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Late to the party here, but I'll +1 maxxises.

I'm currently running schwalbes which are nice, but my favorite combo so far has been ardent rear/high roller II up front. Exo casing, tubeless, and I weigh in about the same.
I'd also like to give ignitor rear a shot, or even as front and rear. Had that on my bike for a hot second, and was pretty impressed.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ardent Race isn't the best rock crawler. I'm Maxxis for life. I've had Ignitors in a 2.1" front and rear for a few months now. I feel they're pretty much good for everything out there and love them so far. For more rock protection, you could go with the 2.3" version. If weight isn't a factor then Minion DHF 3c front, Minion DHR dual-compound rear was awesome too. You can ride these in any rocks ever and they don't give a shit. You can't destroy a Minion.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, so I went with the maxxis tomahawk EXO for my rear and alas, a maxxis tomahawk DD arrived. The DD looks like it has thicker sidewalls and is about 100 grams heavier based on my limited research. DD appears to be more of an enduro type tire. So my questions is, is this complete overkill of a tire for the rocky terrain around here? It will be used for mostly xc around the usual trails up here (jh, ringwood, etc). I tip the scales at 220lbs, and I'm not much of a weight weenie where shaving grams off the bike is important, I'd rather have less of a chance of flatting then a slighter lighter ride. But, (knock on wood) I currently have a maxxis ardent on the rear (with tubes...I know, I know) that has paper thin sidewalls with threads exposed everywhere and I haven't flatted yet on it.......just not sure what to do....
run that tire you will love it , and if you don't you can give it to me

Top Bottom