Trail Sissyfication (White Trail)

goldsbar

Why not just pave the thing? Everytime I go on the white trail (the really technical section between yellows), there's another rock placed somewhere to make it easier. It was nice at first and maybe even necessary. Now there's a rock step on one of the roll downs that I've always been able to do on a full rigid no problem. There's been some great work in the park recently (Cascade). Not everything has to be made easy.

Since I'm in rant mode, who had the bright idea to close off a dirt road with hideous orange fencing and reroute to a obvious non-biking trail? Hint to the trail conference or park management, building the trail is 99% of the damage.

bill-now

Doomed
Since I'm in rant mode, who had the bright idea to close off a dirt road with hideous orange fencing and reroute to a obvious non-biking trail? Hint to the trail conference or park management, building the trail is 99% of the damage.

The dirt road, AKA the Ogden Mine Railroad Path, is closed because they are going to drain Saffin Pond and rebuild the dam. The path will be used by the construction company. The entrance to the new path is well marked if you are going North on the rail trail from the Rock Rill parking lot; the marking going South from the Saffin pond route do leave something to be desired.

I rode that trail today and it does have sections that makes Anrothar's Alley seem easy.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Why not just pave the thing? Everytime I go on the white trail (the really technical section between yellows), there's another rock placed somewhere to make it easier. It was nice at first and maybe even necessary. Now there's a rock step on one of the roll downs that I've always been able to do on a full rigid no problem. There's been some great work in the park recently (Cascade). Not everything has to be made easy.

Are you talking about the white section south of Weldon? AKA Beaver Brook? Dunno' who has been doing any work up there...no official stuff I know of.

Yes, the fencing is lovely isn't it?

Stocky

Just stay on the North side ... plenty of rocks and features to keep ya on your toes ... or off .....

gtluke

The Moped
See if you can make it around Saffron pond without putting a foot down. I can get within the last like 15 feet and somehow blow it every time.

goldsbar

I can't make it around anything without putting a foot down! I've made every section of the hard trails I know of at Mahlon (white, anrothar's, ?) just not at the same time.

Don't know North or South.:( White trail meaning you end yellow/black (very nice) at the top, make a right, left and then a left by the big trail sign. Techy singletrack heaven. Essentially shortcuts - distance wise - the yellow trail to near the base of the wall reroute.

Stocky

Just to give ya an idea of what on which side.
Using Weldon Road as the break for N/S .

South Side
Main Lot /Saffin Pond
Headley Overlook
The Wall
Stone gate
Devil's Staircase

North Side
Highest Point in Morris County
3 - Stone
" The Turtle "
Cascade
Anrothar's Alley
The Pine Swamp
Wildlife management Area / Beaver Dam

jpn

rode today 5/2

got in a nice ride this afternoon. love the orange fencing by the pond. went north on rail bed until second right and saw a nice big black bear shortly before i went right to go to highest point. The sound big bears make when they are moving through the woods is something else! Made my way over to cascade and went back and forth on that. very nice reroute by the school overlook. nicely done and a big thank you for the TLC to Cascade. went back to pond mostly via road so I wouldn't be too late getting home for supper. next time i will hit stonegate and the wall for the first time this year.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions