Trail runners - shoes reco?

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
A few ppl have mentioned it but I have been running in the Salomons for over 4 years now. I've heard the complaints that they're on the heavier side but when you're already running at 250-260 lbs, I'll take the extra weight for extra support. They've never let me down for traction even in the muddiest of obstacle courses. One of my favorite aspects is the no-tie cinch system on their laces. Just pull it tight, tuck the excess into the little flap under the tongue and you're good to go. That being said I've never used any other shoe for trails, nor felt the need.
The S-Labs are a zero drop shoe if you want to have more of a minimalist feel. Same great traction; I would compare them to wearing a slipper with a rubber tire attached for tread.

rick81721

Lothar
A few ppl have mentioned it but I have been running in the Salomons for over 4 years now. I've heard the complaints that they're on the heavier side but when you're already running at 250-260 lbs, I'll take the extra weight for extra support. They've never let me down for traction even in the muddiest of obstacle courses. One of my favorite aspects is the no-tie cinch system on their laces. Just pull it tight, tuck the excess into the little flap under the tongue and you're good to go. That being said I've never used any other shoe for trails, nor felt the need.
The S-Labs are a zero drop shoe if you want to have more of a minimalist feel. Same great traction; I would compare them to wearing a slipper with a rubber tire attached for tread.

I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s but I'm not crazy about the traction on rocks. Most of my trail running is at the sourlands so lots of running up, on and over rocks/boulders is necessary. So especially when it's colder, the tread feels like it's not gripping securely.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I have a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s but I'm not crazy about the traction on rocks. Most of my trail running is at the sourlands so lots of running up, on and over rocks/boulders is necessary. So especially when it's colder, the tread feels like it's not gripping securely.
Interesting, I've never had a problem with them on rocks, those soft lugs always gripped really well. I have an unused pair of the 4's in a box, they were on sale so I'm waiting for my 3's to wear out. I may have to actually run in them again to wear them out though.

rick81721

Lothar
Interesting, I've never had a problem with them on rocks, those soft lugs always gripped really well. I have an unused pair of the 4's in a box, they were on sale so I'm waiting for my 3's to wear out. I may have to actually run in them again to wear them out though.

Maybe it's a temp issue, like they use a rubber compound that grips better when it's warmer? The lugs feel harder than the ones on my Pearl Izumi's

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Maybe it's a temp issue, like they use a rubber compound that grips better when it's warmer? The lugs feel harder than the ones on my Pearl Izumi's
Yeah I'm not sure and I was on some serious rocks during the Mountain Creek Spartans. How are the Pearls?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My favorite for hiking without a doubt. I run barefoot or in five fingers.

haven't used my 5 fingers in awhile. might have to break them out - they are always a conversation starter.

Top Bottom