Trail News

chrisbr66

So I was riding one of my usual lunch time loops which consists of the blue trail out of the back parking lot to the red trail and then the white trail off of the red. So I get ready to turn on to the white trail when I see the entrance is blocked by logs. I walked up the trail some more and see logs placed all over the length of the trail. On my way out I noticed other trails blocked like this and some where hidden with leaves raked over them. There were no official trail closed signs or any thing else of the sort. I stopped by the visitors center to ask about it and was informed that these were illegal trails and park volunteers were doing this work. I'm kind of bummed because these trails were part of my usual loops and it's not like there is an over-abundance of trails in this park. Any thoughts or ideas to get these trails made legal?

njkayaker

I saw that today. Such bs. Why illegal? Been there for years and they are painted marked trail. They are turning what use to be a good close to home weeknight option in to crap. Not to mention the white had trees across it that the park cleared out after some storms.

jpn

what trail are you talking about?

I am in KVSP quite a bit. what white trail are you referring to? is it the white down near the dirt parking lot off of 206? that white was marked with a white vertical rectangular trail marker with a round black circle inside the rectangle. the other white I am familiar with is the white going from the main parking lot by the bathroom that winds around by the lake - the one with the new switchbacks 2/3s of way up the climb from the bathroom.

Rider X would know what is going on in here.

jdgang

JPN i think your are correct about this being the white off of 206, but if you are coming from the 206 lot going towards the lake, maybe the one of the left hand side? I couldnt see them closing the one on the right, that was used for the Bulldog rump and its also used for the Hot chilli run in October. Was it the forest fire guys that did it? They do alot of training back there.

njkayaker

It is the white coming from Rt 206. They closed both sides. right and left. no signs saying it is closed. They just hide the entrance and exit where it no longer looks like a trail.

ryderX

I'd contact the park headquarters and get the official story from them. It's my understanding that the park will be closing off ALL unauthorized-illegal trails over the next few months. The white trail was never an official trail or approved by the park.

njkayaker

so the park didn't paint markers or maintain it? I know a few times someone with a chain saw went back there and cleared out trees. so what if it was illegal built initially. It has been treated as legal and used for some years now. Need to speak to a friend of mine who is the superintendent at Jenny Jump and Worthington.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to be 100% honest 99% of the trails that exists were illegally built at kvsp aside from the moto poached recovery. Ask me someday how I know...

kidzach

I remember when that white trail first appeared a few years ago. Somewhere there is a thread here stating that it was indeed a poached new trail and rangers were not too happy about it. I also believe it was stated that if these trails kept popping up the park would consider banning mountain bikers. Be aware there is a ranger building in the middle of this place. Of all the parks in NJ I have run into more rangers here than anywhere. It is a shame because that's one of the trail's I always take the few times I get there. Remember to honor any closed trails.

njkayaker

I started riding KVSp early 90's. At that time the trails and park was pretty new. The Ranger told me they wanted to get a bike club in there like JORBA to build trails. they were very bike friendly and wanted to promote it. There were a bunch of trails over that time that have disappeared. I never see rangers riding.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I remember when that white trail first appeared a few years ago. Somewhere there is a thread here stating that it was indeed a poached new trail and rangers were not too happy about it. I also believe it was stated that if these trails kept popping up the park would consider banning mountain bikers. Be aware there is a ranger building in the middle of this place. Of all the parks in NJ I have run into more rangers here than anywhere. It is a shame because that's one of the trail's I always take the few times I get there. Remember to honor any closed trails.

I remember this thread also.
I think that because the north side of the white was part of the H2H racecourse 2 years ago I assumed it was an authorized trail.

pinkshirtphotos

Wow hard core news. I sentenced myself into riding daily on KVSP, unknown to me this is mostly off legal trails. I noticed the race loop has added stumps closing off parting the red blaze, the side of the park closer by the bike shack on the highway I think is what I noticed. This park has been illegal though how can the IMBA and JORBA hold hands and dance around the ranger. I am good dancing if I have another who'll hold me I'll learn everything about trail building so my mountain bicycle can ride Kittatinny Valley State Park. There is no reason we cannot have legalized the trails post now if we prove it is sustainable. Rearrange some stuff and make it better, very silly if there is trouble.

ryderX

Wow hard core news. I sentenced myself into riding daily on KVSP, unknown to me this is mostly off legal trails. I noticed the race loop has added stumps closing off parting the red blaze, the side of the park closer by the bike shack on the highway I think is what I noticed. This park has been illegal though how can the IMBA and JORBA hold hands and dance around the ranger. I am good dancing if I have another who'll hold me I'll learn everything about trail building so my mountain bicycle can ride Kittatinny Valley State Park. There is no reason we cannot have legalized the trails post now if we prove it is sustainable. Rearrange some stuff and make it better, very silly if there is trouble.
I suggest you contact the park directly and ask them your questions and offer to lead the dance.
(973) 786-6445

njkayaker

I think it would be nice if the park spent time clearing trails VS closing them. There are several trees down there now not touched. The tree on the green trail has been down for weeks.

Top Bottom