Trail Maintenance Near Allaire

bydabeach

Does anyone maintain the trail connecting Brice Park to Hospital Road that goes under the Garden State Parkway bridges?
Riding today, someone ripped out one of the bridges that goes over the stream. The bridge had been screwed to metal posts on each side, but someone decided to rip it out and drag it across the woods.

I put it back in place, but perhaps it should be refastened to the metal posts.

GLawn

Those trails are all maintained by a few dedicated locals. If it was vandalized, its most likely from a disgruntled hiker or hunter. Trust me, it will be put back in place asap. Thanks for the heads up

bydabeach

It's back in place, but loosely. Would not mind linking up with a dedicated local to help. If you have contact info, please post, or I can post my e-mail.

Anyone have familiarity with the trails that connect the wildlife management area off of Ramshorn to Birch Place?

Is it safe to bike through there during hunting season? I asked a hunter, and he advised that I should be careful during hunting season. Lots of shotgun shells along and off the trails.

Gnick

It's back in place, but loosely. Would not mind linking up with a dedicated local to help. If you have contact info, please post, or I can post my e-mail.

Anyone have familiarity with the trails that connect the wildlife management area off of Ramshorn to Birch Place?

Is it safe to bike through there during hunting season? I asked a hunter, and he advised that I should be careful during hunting season. Lots of shotgun shells along and off the trails.
yea i noticed all the shells in there - wondering if people are actually hunting or just doing target practice

bydabeach

They are hunting duck and deer. Ran across some decoys on the cut through to Brice Park. I'm wearing bright red or orange until hunting season is over. Will take off the reindeer antlers from my bike helmet. :rolleyes:

Rogers

If you are looking for the official rules. This time of year you're only allowed to mountain bike in WMA's on Sunday. Everyone does what they want anyway but please keep in mind that JORBA works hard to keep access open for all of us, in addition to getting new access, but it makes it more difficult for them when mountain bikers don't follow the rules. In my opinion Allaire and the surrounding area is becoming a victim of it's own success. I partly blame Strava. Sorry but not sorry for the short rant.

Per http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wmaregs.htm

Mountain Biking

Mountain bicycles (non-motorized) are allowed on all roads open to motor vehicle use year-round. Bikes are allowed on existing trails and secondary (woods) roads on Wildlife Management Areas from March 1 to April 15 and June 1 to September 15, as well as on Sundays throughout the year (see Assunpink exception in policy linked below). Use of mountain bikes is permitted year round if engaged in legal hunting and fishing activities.

Bikes are not permitted on the Highlands Trail which passes through Berkshire Valley and Wildcat Ridge WMAs. Riding over any dam, wildlife food area, cultivated fields, lawns, gardens and fire break plow-lines is prohibited. Bikers are also prohibited from establishing any new trails through the destruction of existing vegetation. For more information, see the Mountain Bike Policy linked below.
Mountain Bike Policy (pdf, 110kb)

Last edited:

w_b

WMAs , unlike most other public lands , are managed for hunters above all. Wear orange and pedal fast.

and not packin out your shells is a real dick move...

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
If you are looking for the official rules. This time of year you're only allowed to mountain bike in WMA's on Sunday. Everyone does what they want anyway but please keep that JORBA works hard to keep access open for all of us, in addition to getting new access, but it makes it more difficult for them when mountain bikers don't follow the rules. In my opinion Allaire and the surrounding area is becoming a victim of it's own success. I partly blame Strava. Sorry but not sorry for the short rant.

Per http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wmaregs.htm

Mountain Biking

Mountain bicycles (non-motorized) are allowed on all roads open to motor vehicle use year-round. Bikes are allowed on existing trails and secondary (woods) roads on Wildlife Management Areas from March 1 to April 15 and June 1 to September 15, as well as on Sundays throughout the year (see Assunpink exception in policy linked below). Use of mountain bikes is permitted year round if engaged in legal hunting and fishing activities.

Bikes are not permitted on the Highlands Trail which passes through Berkshire Valley and Wildcat Ridge WMAs. Riding over any dam, wildlife food area, cultivated fields, lawns, gardens and fire break plow-lines is prohibited. Bikers are also prohibited from establishing any new trails through the destruction of existing vegetation. For more information, see the Mountain Bike Policy linked below.
Mountain Bike Policy (pdf, 110kb)

Thanks Chris.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bridge was removed by hunters the other night. They were spotted removing it by some friend's of mine and then dropped it back. After some back and 4th words they removed it again and told them to f off. 4 guys with guns, 2 guys on bikes, guns win every time.
Also it's not WMA area behind Bryce park and the Parkway.

Thanks for putting it back.

Rogers

@Mitch is correct. It all isn't WMA. Some of the area is Bryce Park and some I believe is Monmouth County property but not much. I'm not sure where the confrontation took place or what actually happened but it doesn't sound like either party thought they were in the wrong.

I keep seeing a recurring theme in NJ that mountain bikers feel entitled to ride wherever and whenever they want. Some also feel like they can build trails anywhere they want. This doesn't help build good relationships with the land managers.

Here is some clarification.

Here is a map of Allaire State Park and you can see that west of the parkway there is a small strip of land north of the campground that I believe is Monmouth County property. I have no idea what rules apply here. You can also see Bryce Park and section of the WMA.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/AllaireFinalDraft4_reduced.pdf

Here is a map of the WMA.
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/wmaroadmaps/manasquan_river_rd.pdf

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not sure where the confrontation took place or what actually happened but it doesn't sound like either party thought they were in the wrong.
This happened at the bridge under the parkway in Bryce park, Non WMA area as shown on your map, non hunting area as well , I believe. I believe that bridge is used by the fisherman for access near the parkway.
I keep seeing a recurring theme in NJ that mountain bikers feel entitled to ride wherever and whenever they want. Some also feel like they can build trails anywhere they want. This doesn't help build good relationships with the land managers.
Agreed.

bydabeach

The Bridge is missing again. I think this time it floated away in the high tides after the heavy rains last week.
Where's the confounded bridge?

bydabeach

The Bridge is missing again. I think this time it floated away in the high tides after the heavy rains last week.
Where's the confounded bridge?

The bridge is back! It's either brand new, or someone was smart enough to take it out during the extremely high waters.

Johnny Utah

The bridge is back! It's either brand new, or someone was smart enough to take it out during the extremely high waters.
As someone who knows about this bridge and the surrounding areas I can assure you the situation is well taken care of year round. The best thing you can do to keep it that way is not post about these areas. There is more than enough reason as stated above, Thank you.

Mr. Johnny Utah

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions