Trail Closed

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
went for a ride on patriot's path today and hopped over into lewis morris... was going to do the start of the new race loop and then hang a right and make my way to the roller coaster hill and back out to PP... but the start of the new race loop was closed... assuming it's permanent? apologies if this was addressed somewhere else and i missed it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_120333.jpg
    IMG_20160709_120333.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 508

stilluf

This may be the section of the yellow trail by the big log technical that was closed in favor of the new re-route?

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This may be the section of the yellow trail by the big log technical that was closed in favor of the new re-route?
No... That's like half way thru the race course. This is literally the beginning of the race loop from this year... Where all the registration was and that horrible short but steep hill is... It's the trail that caused the strava segment name headache.

I don't know. Just caught me by surprise since I knew about the reroute area but not this one.

Screenshot_20160711-203716.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This trail has never been on the park map. When the park officials came out the Friday before the LMC they didn't know it existed. At that stage it was too late to say no so they let the race use it. I think after the race was over they closed it down. That last bit is my best guess based on what I've heard.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This trail has never been on the park map. When the park officials came out the Friday before the LMC they didn't know it existed. At that stage it was too late to say no so they let the race use it. I think after the race was over they closed it down. That last bit is my best guess based on what I've heard.

Hmmmm... Well I guess that makes sense... I didn't even realize it was there before the race too. It just seemed so well worn for it to be a rogue trail. I just assumed the maps hadn't been updated in a while.

stilluf

OK, I know what you mean now. Too bad. I thought that it was just an unmarked connector to Orange.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I was not aware of this closure but do know that MCPC had had issues with these non sanctioned trails. There is another one a bit further east that was once a legit trail but was closed in early 2000's as it was a straight shot down to the lake (busy area and prone to fast descents and conflicts with beach area park goers). MCPC wants us to re-close this section, which I agree with. However, I had lobbied that the one that was actually closed (which was not done by our volunteers...likely MCPC themselves) was sustainable and should be kept for easy exit from the park. I'll take it up with them. How dense is the closure? I haven't been to the park in a while and likely won't for a few more weeks. Any Intel appreciated.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@icebiker the picture i posted at the top is taken at that spot and the screen shot of my strava from that day. it's pretty thick.

and weather permitting, i'm hoping to get over to lew mo again tonight... i can take more pics if you want

roc

@icebiker the picture i posted at the top is taken at that spot and the screen shot of my strava from that day. it's pretty thick.

and weather permitting, i'm hoping to get over to lew mo again tonight... i can take more pics if you want
went for a ride on patriot's path today and hopped over into lewis morris... was going to do the start of the new race loop and then hang a right and make my way to the roller coaster hill and back out to PP... but the start of the new race loop was closed... assuming it's permanent? apologies if this was addressed somewhere else and i missed it.
Is that the trail past the pavilion with the little pond at the right as you leave the pavilion?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is that the trail past the pavilion with the little pond at the right as you leave the pavilion?

No. If you finish up yellow in the clockwise direction, after you do the little whoop and then come down to the gravel road by the lake, you make a right to head toward the pavilion. Then there is a fork in the road where you normally go left to get to the pavilion. If you make a right there instead, it brings you to a little piece of singletrack that heads up to orange. I think most people didn't know it was there or weren't riding it prior to the race this year.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's

if you come up from patriot's path, cross over mendham road... just keep going straight and you'll hit a T intersection. To the left, you'll be following the trail towards the baseball field and eventually the pavilion. To the right, you go up this double track which eventually turns into a steep single track hill. The trail closure is to the right at that T intersection.

ETA: i don't think the trail is actually on the map... which might be confusing people

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
yeah, that trail was pretty blown out before the race. Pretty sure there was a sign at the top where it connects to orange that actually said 'No Bikes.'

It would really be great to build in a bench cut connector that bypassed the pavilion area to connect to green. Something kinda like this maybe:
upload_2016-7-27_13-11-29.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
yeah, that trail was pretty blown out before the race. Pretty sure there was a sign at the top where it connects to orange that actually said 'No Bikes.'

It would really be great to build in a bench cut connector that bypassed the pavilion area to connect to green. Something kinda like this maybe:
View attachment 38338

that is not bad at all - i like where you come back to the "road" before the bridge crossing near the pavilion, then go back up.
'just here for the ST'....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions