Tourne Dog bite

Blair

I have been bitten, so I try to put the bike between me and the dog. I do not care if your dog is friendly and does not bite.

If it is a larger dog I look for a big stick.

Next dog that bites me better be faster than me.
Part of the problem is that it was from behind so I didn't even see the thing until it was too late. I guess this is a good case for flat pedals.

Fat Trout

I've been Bit riding the rail trail and chased riding the road so I carry a small can of mace on my shoulder strap just in case. The time I was bit....oddly enough I slowed down too much, it was a dog on a leash the owner couldn't control and dragged her to me as I tried to go by really slow. Now I slow but keep a moderate pace riding by as wide as possible for my own safety.

I have 4 dogs which we hike off leash. Echoing @Arwen's Mom you need to be responsible. My wife and I only hike all 4 in lesser used locations, all 4 only when we are both together. In any quantity, the dogs are never left to go out of sight or up to a blind blind turns or hills. Radio collars are on the 3 most likely to go a little too far. We have them come back for treats 3 or 4 times per hike to positively enforce the come back command. The radio collar enforces as a backup with the vibration mode. Zap mode not needed anymore, they know better. When ANY other people are spotted at any distance, dogs go back on leash. If there are too many people, leash the whole way. None of our dogs are aggressive or interested in people. If they were, off leash in the woods wouldn't be an option. Funny that this is a difficult concept for owners.

BTW, saw a guy once (while riding) who had 2 collies. He saw me coming, said something and those dogs ran right up to his feet and sat down side by side until I rode by. Best control I've ever seen and I told him that.

The Tourne is NO PLACE for off leash IMO. Too many users.

Xler8

I can count on one hand the amount of dogs I've seen on a leash this year. It's very common to see people let their dogs run around. That's all well and good, but I don't think the owners understand the consequences.

I'll give a dog all the room they need to pass safely, but if a bite or attack is a concern then game on... owner beware...

I Ride Bikes

When ANY other people are spotted at any distance, dogs go back on leash. If there are too many people, leash the whole way. None of our dogs are aggressive or interested in people. If they were, off leash in the woods wouldn't be an option. Funny that this is a difficult concept for owners.
This is it in a nutshell. And e collars really should be used if off leash just in case. I believe that if a e collar can be used for containment in a yard then it can be used effectively as an invisible leash.

Mildly Wild

Me: former dog owner and still dog lover.
FWIW, I met a Conservation Officer at KVSP a few years back while on a group ride. Not quite sure how the subject came up but he did say if a dog gets into it with a bear, or if a dog is running a deer, they will shoot the dog. (yikes!!).

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't sweat the small stuff, and don't want to burn any bridges from the park community standpoint but I will be calling the office tomorrow.

It sucks that being a mountain biker makes it's participants feel they are not entitled to legal protection. Imagine if you'd been hiking instead.

I ride the Tourne frequently and off-leash dogs are common. Many of them are quite good but this idiot deserved to have the police called on him. Nothing against the dog but the owner needs to learn a lesson pronto. Absolutely unacceptable you should be injured because of someone thinks it's cool to be completely irresponsible.

Trying to recall, but a while back I might have had a run-in with the same dog. Kinda a while ago but sorta ringing a bell.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I can count on one hand the amount of dogs I've seen on a leash this year. It's very common to see people let their dogs run around. That's all well and good, but I don't think the owners understand the consequences

Reading through this thread, it sounds like there are no consequences. People are too busy being "nice". No one bothers calling the cops, or holding the owners accountable. So you should all stop bitching when you get bit, go back to your cars weep quietly, and hope for this all to go away by itself.

Blair

Reading through this thread, it sounds like there are no consequences. People are too busy being "nice". No one bothers calling the cops, or holding the owners accountable. So you should all stop bitching when you get bit, go back to your cars weep quietly, and hope for this all to go away by itself.
the report is being filed and going out of my way to do it with mcpc police. So we'll see if anything happens. Black poodle won't fool me twice if there is another chance encounter.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
the report is being filed and going out of my way to do it with mcpc police. So we'll see if anything happens. Black poodle won't fool me twice if there is another chance encounter.
My friend has a brown poodle... that summabich is a mean one.

gtluke

The Moped
My dog is always off leash, but always on an e-collar. I used to think they were terrible, then I read about how they work. Mine has never been off level 2 out of 10 on the low power version. I've "had" to use it twice and it worked perfect.
My dog however doesn't bite people. She does act like a compile maniac asshole to other dogs and barks and freaks out in their face but doesn't bite. If another dog reacts to her jerkness and bites her it's my fault and I know it.

wonderturtle

fwiw - in my experience, MOST dog owners that I encounter have their dogs under control. I havent had an encounter in years. [knock on wood!!!!]

now the dog shit in plastic bags left along the trail....WTF!?!!?....it's a friggin epidemic!!! in Huber there are a number of dogshit filled bags hanging from tree branches. its everywhere.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
those shit laws are for paved walking paths in urban areas - just kick it in the woods - jeez.

pibbles

I encountered an Australian Shepard at Ceres last year and I was going up a steep section that went to the left and when the dog (which was off leash) peeked over the hill I was climbing, it took me by surprise and I stalled just long enough to lose my balance and started tipping over when the dog came down and gave me a nudge that kept me upright! The lady wouldn't sell me the dog...

Top Bottom