Tourne County Park Conditions

FitmanNJ

I rode The Tourne on Thursday. Most of the bigger trails had been tromped-down by hikers, dog walkers, and snoeshoers, making for a fairly lumpy ride; other trails hadn't been broken-in at that time, and you faced snow 6-8" deep. By airing my fatbike tires WAY down, these sections demanded a lot of watts, but I was only sinking about 3" of the 7" snow depth, so they were totally rideable. I would imagine that narrow-tired bikes would have had a much tougher time.

With temps in the 40's, the snow was really moist, making traction especially good; on a negative note, I retraced a few trails and the tracks I had made in the areas prone to pooling of water were already turning to slush. I'm not sure how much more these trails may have degraded in the last two days.

1521926673614.png1521927022118.png1521927105952.png

rick81721

Lothar
Park is in great shape. Some mud in low lying areas but nothing out of the ordinary. Cleared some downfall on Orange which is now good to go.

Thinking of hitting this tomorrow. Anyone have a recent strava? I was here once before and hit most of it (I think) but remember crossing a swamp at one point.

notcho

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thinking of hitting this tomorrow. Anyone have a recent strava? I was here once before and hit most of it (I think) but remember crossing a swamp at one point.

Im not free today, but if you want a tour we could figure something out at some point. LMK

(or take the friday crew here for a ride if you want company)

rick81721

Lothar
@rick81721 This is just about everything. The white trail is flat and connects park end to end and the blue line is the trail across the swamp, tho might be submerged this time of year. It’s between the light blue on the mt lakes side and the white on the denville side. As you can see I ride in from home but plenty of parking on either side of the park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1459626241/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1521391953
View attachment 67014

Thanks, I rode there early may a few years ago and yeah that swamp was a mess. But the trail on the other side was great, the most tech I found.

rick81721

Lothar
Almost perfect conditions - only trail with mud was high tech blue (which btw I should have waited to hit it until later in the ride: having not ridden rocks in months + rear shock locked out = OTB). I think I rode pretty much every trail

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions