Tourne County Park Conditions

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We seem to be at mid-winter conditions. Frozen solid in the AM, so get some early. For those who loves thems some KOM, Sled Hill is 100% clear, can't imagine how much work it took. That was a war zone. Anyway.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I got out last night and did a loop on the mountain bike. Conditions were actually pretty good. The hikers/dog walkers/skiers have packed down a path through most of the trails and I was able to ride pretty much everywhere with no issues. The untracked snow was a bit too soft in the afternoon to ride on, but just about all of the main trails had a nice smooth track to ride in.

20140305_172756.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It can be ridden. Very little snow or ice left, a few patches.
I'd recommend taking red from the Denville side lot, take the switchback climb, stay right to the lake, then sled hill and back up to red and basically repeat. Purple was wet lower down but if you do the "lot to lake" route (turn left on purple before the uphill) that's ok too.

The lower gravel path along the swamp is very soft, and the red from the Boonton side is also bad. Horses have churned the trails up quite a bit too. But the rideable sections are quite good aside from a few navigable soft spots. Lots of riders, hikers, dogs, etc out.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Meanwhile, over in Johnathan woods....Looks like they have gotten around to clearing all the trees that were knocked down during the hurricane

IMG_20140324_173152.jpg

IMG_20140324_173354.jpg

IMG_20140324_173402.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There was a short trail that winds through (what was left of) the pines, still there?
Hope they didn't tear up all the new saplings, made me happy to see them growing back.

How was it overall? Worth a ride?
Thanks.

BAIN

Heading there today. Will give a full report tomorrow. Expecting a lot of slop and soft spots. They really do have to ban horses. There is absolutely nothing worse for the trails, nothing!!!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was there on Tuesday night. Most of the trails were fine, the teal trail was still water logged in the lower area. I stayed off the rail trail that runs across the park. Everything else was ok.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There was a short trail that winds through (what was left of) the pines, still there?
Hope they didn't tear up all the new saplings, made me happy to see them growing back.

How was it overall? Worth a ride?
Thanks.

Sorry Dave, I missed this. The short trail on the backside is still there. they didnt cut that far back, as of these pictures anyway.

smackey

The Tourne is dry. We covered most of it and no mud. The good weather brought out a lot of people so the trails were crowded.

smackey

Light blue and purple near the junction with red are very wet. The other trails were fine. The cool weather made it a good morning to be out.

Mildly Wild

Tourne good to go today

Trails at the Tourne were rideable today. Must have been an army of hikers thru on T-Day that forged a 12" wide beat down on most every trail. Stay on that and you're fine. Don't know how much longer it will stay like this so get it while its good.

Many, many thanks to the trail crew for putting in the new re-routes - especially for the switchback going up to the park bench on Red. Now I can ride up that, and then down the evil gnarly hill that always had me cursin' coming up :p.
Fantastic work.

SSmtbr

The Tourne is in great shape. Rode this afternoon and lots of people out enjoying the sun today. The re-route is awesome. Thanks for all the hard work (and for reminding me that I need to put in more hours of trail work).

Thin Diesel

Trails are hard packed with spots of snow drift here and there. Good fat biking conditions. Also rideable on skinny tires. No ice to speak of. Unfortunately, there is an abominable amount of dog poop on the trails. I had to clean off my tires post-ride. I guess cleaning up after your pet is not so popular when it gets this cold.:mad:

Mildly Wild

Conditions were good Saturday and almost as good late yesterday. Nice firm 15"-20" wide track laid down on most all trails. Fat bike or skinny will work.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Almost 100% rideable except the newest switchback. Packed and hard, but be careful. Going off track will turn you into the abominable snowman. :D
Oh yeah the horse poo factor is off the scale.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I cut through last night on my way to do some silly hill repeats up and down the mountain...I would stay off anything that isnt a gravel fire road for now...Most of the snow is now gone on the denville side, on the other side (red trail), it was super icy.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions