Tough Mudder 5K - 5/19/2019 - west of Philly

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hey All - my kid is turning 16 and wants to do a mud run with a few of his friends. I was going to put together
a team, and maybe even get out and train a bit (trail run, some tree climbing, etc)
Adults can chaperone 2 16/17 year old kids. 16 is the minimum age.

Maybe around 11am start time?

Anyone want to jump in with or without kids?

Last edited:
What kind of 5k times are the kids running?

5k obstacle courses take 90 minutes to two hours. usually an easy jog between obstacles - many have a wait time, esp as the day drags on.

unless you wanted to know:
i just officiated the warren/sussex/hunterdon county XC meet yesterday. was around 18 minutes at the pointy end, 25 at the tail.
It was at the p'burg athletic facility, so a hilly course and wet. doing the somerset county meet today.
My kid has been consistently below 30 minutes for the last 3 years.

I have an 11yr old that always wanted to do this, was running 19’s at a couple of random races during the summer, now that it’s the season though he’s faster. I’ll have to look at the schedule for next year, as late May is usually championship time for spring track, leagues and states. If it’s between race weekends though, may be doable and a something fun.

I have an 11yr old that always wanted to do this, was running 19’s at a couple of random races during the summer, now that it’s the season though he’s faster. I’ll have to look at the schedule for next year, as late May is usually championship time for spring track, leagues and states. If it’s between race weekends though, may be doable and a something fun.

They have a 16 yo minimum age. I should have put that in.

Dang, kid is fast!

nobody told them it is difficult to be that quick! i picked a sunday to make sure it doesn't conflict with one of my meets.
That is probably state championship weekend. I don't have the service time to work the bigger ones.

Kid from Gill was throwing the shotput over 60' last year. it had some hang time. awesome to watch.
Kid from franklin is knocking on 45 second 400m - it is amazing

They have a 16 yo minimum age. I should have put that in.

Dang, kid is fast!

nobody told them it is difficult to be that quick! i picked a sunday to make sure it doesn't conflict with one of my meets.
That is probably state championship weekend. I don't have the service time to work the bigger ones.

Kid from Gill was throwing the shotput over 60' last year. it had some hang time. awesome to watch.
Kid from franklin is knocking on 45 second 400m - it is amazing

The kid likes to run, the whole running thing was his idea. We're careful with his training, some of the other track parents are nuts. Don't want him to burn out, rather have him slowly build towards high school. Could sneak him in as a 16yr old, but he still looks like a little kid. Maybe throw on a hat and some glasses and he can pass.

The times some of these older kids are hitting these days are nuts. A 60' throw is pretty crazy, and a 45-400 is blazing fast. Some of these kids are in full-on sprint mechanics for the whole 400, which is form you usually see at a world class level.

The kid likes to run, the whole running thing was his idea. We're careful with his training, some of the other track parents are nuts. Don't want him to burn out, rather have him slowly build towards high school. Could sneak him in as a 16yr old, but he still looks like a little kid. Maybe throw on a hat and some glasses and he can pass.

The times some of these older kids are hitting these days are nuts. A 60' throw is pretty crazy, and a 45-400 is blazing fast. Some of these kids are in full-on sprint mechanics for the whole 400, which is form you usually see at a world class level.

Tough mudders aren't races, like Pat said you can fly between obstacles (well you can't fly through the mud mile, but I doubt they have one on something this short, tough mudders are usually 10 miles), but will wait in big lines for the obstacles.

This is happening tomorrow, south jerz. Ages 10 and up I think. Same venue as Caffeinated CX.
Goliathon
Some of the ANW type folks will be there.

Back
Top Bottom