Torque Wrenches

choop

Looking for a torque wrench and was considering the CDI adjustable T handle wrench for quick stuff like bars, seat posts, etc. Its made by Snap-On so I have a bit of faith in it. Anyone have one? Got a different one to recommend?

http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.c...t/PDF/Snap-on Industrial Brands - CAT3 89.pdf
mn1_008513.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Got this for my car but I assume should be ok a bike as along as you have the alley key socket set
hqdefault.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the car version may not go low enough for the bike - 4nm isn't much.
i have a couple of fixed torque t-wrenches. after a few times, you get the feel for it.

Karate Monkey

CDI makes good stuff. For the amount of times I use it at home, though, I prefer a small beam wrench, though. Knowing momentary torque vs. a slipping clutch is more useful to me, anyway.

When I was working, I preferred the separate 4/5/6Nm torqkeys. They were faster to work with, since you didn't have to adjust the setting for different components. I could see how one adjustable one would be desirable at home...but my personal opinion is above.

choop

CDI makes good stuff. For the amount of times I use it at home, though, I prefer a small beam wrench, though. Knowing momentary torque vs. a slipping clutch is more useful to me, anyway.

When I was working, I preferred the separate 4/5/6Nm torqkeys. They were faster to work with, since you didn't have to adjust the setting for different components. I could see how one adjustable one would be desirable at home...but my personal opinion is above.

I have been going back and forth on what to get. Once day a ratcheting wrench, the next the preset. Today the adjustable. Since I an indecisive I thought I would check in here. Thanks for the post. Ill check out some beam wrenches.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a couple of fixed torque t-wrenches. after a few times, you get the feel for it.
This ^.

Foot pounds vs. inch pounds. Huge difference. Most bike stuff is in Nm, but you can easily convert those values to inch pounds as well since they should be close enough on the scale for bike use.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I guess for carbon stuff it may be too much but for BB and etc, 3/8 drive measures from 5 ft/lb and up.

Mildly Wild

Bear in mind, per the mfgr torque tools are only accurate in the upper 80% of there range, i.e.: 0 - 30 in/lb tool is accurate from 6 in/lb to 30 in/lb. Under that, accuracy is not assured.

Snap On makes very good torque tools, 1 % accuracy if ordered as such . I worked in a place for many years where we used them for testing our products. However, a) expensive, and b) if you over-torque (exceed upper limit of tool's range) the bar inside the tool bends and there is no repair for this.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I have the Park in my toolbox and the set Bonty T-handle that comes with the bikes in my pack. Love them both...

jumpa

just started using the parktools TW-5. prior to this turns out all my bolts that interfaced with anything carbon where under torqued by me from fear of cracking the carbon. works well, now my handle bars don't slip on the rough stuff on the cross bike.

make sure to set your wrenches back to zero when done using.

goodvibe

I have several of the Park ones and I like them all. I have the ATD-1, the t-handled torque wrench that is adjustable. I also have the TW-5 and the TW-6. I try not to tighten any bolts on my carbon bikes without a torque wrench. All of these are awesome.

Top Bottom