Too good for a helmet..

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
image.jpeg

"It was only a theory" ~ Charles Darwin

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Six Mile has the most awesome groups of people on the weekends. On any given Saturday/Sunday you'll find:

2-3 guys in cheap bikes with no helmets. Action cam going during each jump. (As seen as above video).
Group of 15 guys in downhill gear on a 5-6 hour ride on long travel bikes. Usually from NYC.
1 old guy on 25 year old bike flying through the place
1 old guy on 25 year old guy barely able to pedal. Usually seen in the middle of the park and you have to wonder how he got in and how he'll get out.
Father and Son. Completely lost, asking for directions back to the parking lot. Can't describe their parking lot outside of "it had cars in it".
Male/Female couple out biking that are well known on MTBNJ.
Jay doing trail maintenance.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Six Mile has the most awesome groups of people on the weekends. On any given Saturday/Sunday you'll find:

2-3 guys in cheap bikes with no helmets. Action cam going during each jump. (As seen as above video).
Group of 15 guys in downhill gear on a 5-6 hour ride on long travel bikes. Usually from NYC.
1 old guy on 25 year old guy barely able to pedal. Usually seen in the middle of the park and you have to wonder how he got in and how he'll get out.
Father and Son. Completely lost, asking for directions back to the parking lot. Can't describe their parking lot outside of "it had cars in it".

add to that a group of 100 meeting for a group ride at the canal lot. that are getting their stuff together before you leave, and when you get back, are still there getting their stuff together.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

How could you forget the crew with the radio bolted to the bars?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

That guy is usually in the one of the first two groups.

I was actually meaning to start a thread on the radio thing. I actually don't care hearing someone's radio for 30 seconds but it's quite obnoxious to show up to a group ride with speaker blasting. And it's always 90s douchebag rock.

ilnadi

1 old guy on 25 year old bike
I got two almost covered. I rode on a 1996 Klein converted to SS with my son on a 20" bike (BTW he cleared those bumps on a tiny bike so ...).

we forgot to get lost.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My favorite is the 30+ people in one group. As those guys go past they go from very fit, to not so much, to really not fit. Usually they have a lot of pads and some full faced helmets in the mix. Typically the first guy has a really nice, new bike and the quality gets worse as the group goes on. More often the newest bikes are in the front as well.

I often wonder how many people in this group have ridden the same bike.

I try to avoid digging on weekends, but the looks I get are all over the map.

Some are very thankful, some offer to help next time, some are super rude and basically run me over, and just a few will actually stop and lend a hand.

I will never ask for help, but I rarely will turn in down.

That first clip kills me as the guy has a pretty good bike, and a $75+ camelback but no helmet. This will be the guy who gets mtbing banned in this park.

jdog

Shop Keep

This is more common than you might expect. Usually the music is so bad that I almost feel they are being ironic. One guy was blaring Lionel Ritchey. For real.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Being a baseball dad, i'm at the local park quite a bit. the kids are turning 13, or whatever age it is that doesn't legally require a helmet.
i see my kid's friends riding, w/o and it makes me nuts! mostly bmx, or 29ers - they aren't doing anything crazy, but it isn't about
the predictable....

then i saw a younger sister, riding with her helmet on the handlebars. cause her brother wasn't wearing his.
wanted to lose it.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
Being a baseball dad, i'm at the local park quite a bit. the kis are turning 13, or whatever age it is that doesn't legally require a helmet.
i see my kid's friends riding, w/o and it makes me nuts! mostly bmx, or 29ers - they aren't doing anything crazy, but it isn't about
the predictable....

then i saw a younger sister, riding with her helmet on the handlebars. cause her brother wasn't wearing his.
wanted to lose it.

http://njbikeped.org/whats-the-law-...-new-jersey-bicycle-and-pedestrian-laws-2012/

The law is 17

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions