Too good for a helmet..

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Being a baseball dad, i'm at the local park quite a bit. the kids are turning 13, or whatever age it is that doesn't legally require a helmet.
i see my kid's friends riding, w/o and it makes me nuts! mostly bmx, or 29ers - they aren't doing anything crazy, but it isn't about
the predictable....

then i saw a younger sister, riding with her helmet on the handlebars. cause her brother wasn't wearing his.
wanted to lose it.

more details on that title 39 helmet thing:

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

JoeLee

I am in now way arguing for not wearing a helment. BUT, the law for helmets does NOT require them if the bike is ridden on a path set aside for use only by bicycles. Specifically - if they cannot enter a roadway without crossing a barrier basically. (So sidewalks are still helmet-mandated)

PS: Not sure an argument boiling down to a whiney "why don't they have to wear one?!" has any real merit but I found it an interesting perspective. http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
That first clip kills me as the guy has a pretty good bike, and a $75+ camelback but no helmet. This will be the guy who gets mtbing banned in this park.

It only takes one person for this to happen...
As for boom boxes on handle bars we had a ride 2 years ago were stopped and started hearing music and it was getting louder it took a good 5 minutes for them to be seen but here come 3 people in jeans t-shirts with no helmets and the last person had a boombox on the rear rack of his beach cruiser. This was at the top of the switchbacks at Allaire.... both random and weird at the same time..

Chris Nordt

I actually picked a pouch to carry my Beats Pill that attaches on to my camelback.. I don't mind rocking some tunes through the hills, but don't need anything loud enough to hear me for the other side of the park haha.

Deamon59

I don't mind people playing music, it does help me know when someone is nearby. I would not like to be riding near that person for my whole ride though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions