Toe Overlap...experience/opinions

scotth

Hi All, What is your experience with toe overlap? I have a 2018 Trek Emonda in 58 and I'm 6ft tall. According to size charts and a conversation with a Trek person I'm on the right size bike, but I still get overlap. My cross bike is a perfect fit/feel and I don't have this problem, I know it's a totally different bike and geometry. I was thinking after a while of riding I'd get over it...I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks,
Scott

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
were you fitted to the bike when you bought it? if not, maybe your cleats are too far back?

it's kind of the same learning curve as clipless pedals, you need to learn that at a certain degree, your foots going to hit your wheel. how often do you run into this problem?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Never really happens in the wild... if my wheel is turned that much my outside foot is weighed or my inside foot is forward.

im thinking this is the case, iv never actually hit my toe with the front wheel of my bike idk if its just me but if im turning that sharply, chances are im NOT pedaling

rick81721

Lothar
Ah so it's toes hitting the front wheel - happens to me occasionally on the mtb as I use platforms - tells me my foot is too far forward so I re-position

jackx

Yeah, I think this only happens on my road bike if /when I switch to MTB SPD pedals and 45N boots for the winter. Don't recall ever having a toe overlap problem with road shoes, for which I had a proper bike fit.

Karate Monkey

It happens with some short front-center bikes, or bikes with [big tires and] fenders. You learn very quickly not to pedal circles if you have to turn the handlebars that far.

Not an issue with road bikes ridden on the road, imo, only for slow speed handling. Others raise a good point that you should check your fit if concerned about it.

Robin

I thought that only happens to little people...like me. I have it on my road bike (48), my CX bike (44) with fenders, and when I had a small mtb frame with 29" wheels.

It never caused me to crash. I just sort of accept it for what it is.

wonderturtle

Never really happens in the wild... if my wheel is turned that much my outside foot is weighed or my inside foot is forward.

^ this^

I think cause when you're turning sharply the opposite pedal goes forward and pedal on the "wheel side" is back. this is done to maintain balance. if your pedal is forward on the same side of the wheel your balance is gonna be off. Think that's why the toe strike thing doesn't happen in the wild (even if there is overlap)

Ironjunk

When I grinded my sole to put my SPD's further back from max I got overlap but prefer the mid sole position...it feels great and my achilles doesn't get strained anymore.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am 5’9” and have an 11.5 foot. I have/had toe overlap on a lot of bikes.

1. You get use to 1/4 cranking as need when you need to turn the wheel dramatically

2. Don’t turn the wheel dramatically

The only time I really catch it is when I use fenders and the fender but it really isn’t much of an issue.

Top Bottom