Today is like Xmas only much better ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So today is my favorite day at work all year because it's flu shot day!!!!!

I'll leave the fact that the best day I have at work all year is a day on which I am injected with a weakened pathogen for the psychologists to grapple with. The truth is, I'm not even close to joking about this being my favorite day at work all year.

You see, before I started working at my current behemoth of a company, I worked for a very small research outfit in Doylestown, PA for three years. And you know how the real way Europeans were able to conquer so much of the world over time had nothing to do with superior warfare skills or any of that nonsense but rather was almost entirely due to the fact that Europeans had lived in cities for a long time already and carried the exotic smorgasbord of germs to foreign lands thereby decimating entire populations that had lived in blissful isolation without the need for the necessary antibodies and immune responses required to survive the germ-soaked European "visits"? Well, going from a small isolated company to a massive one with lots of people packed together in small areas kind of made me like those blissful ignorant natives - I was single and coming from an isolated environment, basically I checked all the boxes for "worst case scenario". The first year I worked here, I started about a month after flu shots were given and I have never had a year when I was as sick as I was that year. Suddenly all these people were coming into the office wearing invisible suits made of the finest germs they could pick up from their kids, germs they were happily spreading around the office. I may as well have been licking bedpans. I got everything that first year. I'm pretty sure I had smallpox for a couple days there in February. But the next year rolled around and I had developed a little bit of immunity having pretty much caught everything there was to catch already. And then those sweet, sweet words popped into my daily update inbox: "Flu Shot Day in October". I signed up, got my free shot, and never got the tiniest bit sick all season. I thought that might be a coincidence, but still got one each year thereafter, until around 2006 or so when a shortage limited the number of folks who could qualify. Being an (allegedly) healthy male in my 30's, I wasn't on the qualify list, so I couldn't get one. What I did get, though, was a brutal case of the flu. Coincidence? I think not. So ever since then, I look forward to Flu Shot Day like some people look forward to vacation or Xmas or the birth of a child or other less important trivialities. Long live Flu Shot Day!

I thought this was going anti-vaxxer route by the wall of text but you went the other way! The old switcheroo.

I got one once or twice but rarely get sick regardless. Flu shot didn't seem to make a difference: standard one fall and one spring cold per year, flu shot or not.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've never got sick since stopping getting the yearly flu shot in work.

You're not bursting my bubble. I continue on secure in the knowledge that the liquid armor flowing in my veins allows me to celebrate Flushotmas in the manner in which it is intended to be fested, such as rolling around in medical waste and other high-risk behaviors in a consequence free environment.

You're not bursting my bubble. I continue on secure in the knowledge that the liquid armor flowing in my veins allows me to celebrate Flushotmas in the manner in which it is intended to be fested, such as rolling around in medical waste and other high-risk behaviors in a consequence free environment.
Whatever floats your germ infested boat !

I continue on secure in the knowledge that the liquid armor flowing in my veins allows me to celebrate Flushotmas in the manner in which it is intended to be fested,
You actually got a placebo. Your large company could not afford flu shots for everyone so the younger employees and more useless workers got the sugar water. However the placebo-effect is working well and saving the company additional costs in providing flu shots and at the same time reducing sick leave due to healthy employees. Carry on.

I came to this thread hoping to see a photo of your Moots, since I missed the Schilling ride.

I've been a high school teacher my entire adult life and have yet to get a flu shot, but I'm not making any statements about what that might mean for me.

You actually got a placebo. Your large company could not afford flu shots for everyone so the younger employees and more useless workers got the sugar water. However the placebo-effect is working well and saving the company additional costs in providing flu shots and at the same time reducing sick leave due to healthy employees. Carry on.

Sooooo ... since I'm not young, that means ...

And you know how the real way Europeans were able to conquer so much of the world over time had nothing to do with superior warfare skills or any of that nonsense but rather was almost entirely due to the fact that Europeans had lived in cities for a long time already and carried the exotic smorgasbord of germs to foreign lands thereby decimating entire populations that had lived in blissful isolation without the need for the necessary antibodies and immune responses required to survive the germ-soaked European "visits"?

First of all Marty, WTF with this paragraph size run-on sentence ?!? lol What school did you go to? HaHa (wait, I know that)

Oh, BTW, got my Flu shot last week...my mega-corp sends me an email that I print out and present to local duane read or walgreens for said flu shot...get it every year. But I actually may be in the worst infested offices ever, so I ll go for it...

Getting mine late October but still expect to get the flu at least once with germy kids at home. Last year had it in Sept and caught the bug twice. Close to recommended age for Prevnar soon as well, and my company gives them out free also

First of all Marty, WTF with this paragraph size run-on sentence ?!? lol What school did you go to? HaHa (wait, I know that)

Oh, BTW, got my Flu shot last week...my mega-corp sends me an email that I print out and present to local duane read or walgreens for said flu shot...get it every year. But I actually may be in the worst infested offices ever, so I ll go for it...

That's not actually a run-on sentence (my elitist education taught me that.)

We actually make the flu vaccine, so my effort level is considerably less than yours (which is probably a big part of why I actually get it if I'm being totally honest.) I get a general bulletin and then walk down to the health annex and get it. If I can ever figure out a way to get them to come to my office and give it to me there, I'll probably get five or six a year. As it is, it takes me ten minutes soup to nuts*.

* Actual vaccine may or may not be made of soup and/or nuts.

I fail to see wat this has to do wit MTB?

And actually fail to see wat dis has to do wit much of all

Go for it if you like dood

I don't get the flu shot and I have no interest in getting it.

But I'm glad it is available for the those who want it and/or need it.

worked at a pizza place/bar for awhile in kolege.
similar benefit, but available multiple times per shift.
that would explain some of the 60lbs more than i weigh now.

This is interesting because I never really worried too much about the office co-workers getting me sick. I am usually more concerned about riding the trains or subways. They are confined and dirty. Nothing like getting stuck next to someone dragging themselves into the office coughing and sneezing on the train.

Back
Top Bottom