TM/National Trails Day, June 6th

Shaggz

A strong 7
http://www.calsmerge.net/morris/morrisparks/d06/06/2009/popup/1

Saturday, June 6, 2009
9:00a-2:00p

National Trails Day
Join us for trail building and hikes. A FREE lunch is offered!

Location: Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, Picnic Area, Jefferson Township.

Cost: FREE.
Call 973-326-7604 or 973-631-5136 for more information.

mtn

I might make it, but can you tell me what work you guys do on these days?

Shaggz

A strong 7
This session will most probably be a re-route of the trail to Headley Overlook. A typical session starts with a brief intro to the proper use and safe handling of the tools, and work consists of bench cutting the trails and moving big rocks :popcorn:. Participants at our sessions have ranged from mid-teens to late 60's.

This will be a fun day, and I hope you can make it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This session will most probably be a re-route of the trail to Headley Overlook. A typical session starts with a brief intro to the proper use and safe handling of the tools, and work consists of bench cutting the trails and moving big rocks :popcorn:. Participants at our sessions have ranged from mid-teens to late 60's.

This will be a fun day, and I hope you can make it.

Is the plan still a reroute of the trail to the overlook?

Which side? The very difficult side that goes down to the top of the Wall reroute? Or the other side?

And is this trail open for bikes?

Stocky

I like that Headley Overlook trail we haven't done it in a while , but it's nasty when ya first come down from the overlook if I recall , super steep going down (winding through some funky trees )to super steep going back up.

The section of trail leading to the top of the wall is pretty washed out.

I'd love to come but would be useless with a bum knee and stitches. I could bark out orders .:)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm questionable at this point; my wrist and two middle fingers are pretty borked still (hyper-extended from Sundays stupidity). Hopefully, they'll heal enough to where I can be some use by Saturday

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be here on Saturday.

Who else wants to step up and join me? I mean, aside from the "I'm so injured" posse up above?

Stocky

I'm in my shop until 12 on Saturdays, so I could come up afterwards and approve all the work that's been done.;)

Shaggz

A strong 7
If anyone is considering a session at MDR, this is a good date to show MTB community support for the Park.

NO need to call the number in original post, you can RSVP in this thread.

lilbuj

Late

What should we do if we want to help but have to show up late? I have a comitment at 9am but should be able to help by 11am the latest.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Tim: At least show up to say "hello". The show of support from the MTB community is almost as important as the work itself.

Lilbuj: Thanks! Park at the picnic area, and head across the street towards Wall/Headley Overlook. I will PM you my number so you can call if you have problems finding us. I will talk to MCPC to see if they can put signs up directing people to where the work is taking place, too.

It would probably be a good idea for anyone participating in a NTD events, or any TM session for that matter, to wear their JORBA/MTBNJ/cycling related shirts.

J-7

I will try and be there. Just like last November, I'm on call again. We'll see what happens.

J

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good day today. 8 bikers, 0 hikers, 2 park guys (Duncan and Tom). The 20 or so hikers all went hiking while we worked on their trails.

I built rock steps today. This is what I started with:

3600516567_43aae56955_b.jpg

This is what it ended as:

3601330544_22a4b366b8_b.jpg

From the top down:

3600517913_f9a9b0fd29_b.jpg

The whole slideshow, mostly the work I did on the steps but a few others:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59697758@N00/sets/72157619337392312/show/

Thanks to all who came out today! In (rough) order of appearance:

Shaggz
Norm
SpartaBrad
Fogerson
LauraT
Rich (username?)
J-7
llbij (?)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Good day today. 8 bikers, 0 hikers, 2 park guys (Duncan and Tom). The 20 or so hikers all went hiking while we worked on their trails.

Gotta' admit this has been "stickin' in my craw" a little bit. First a disclaimer: MDR is a great park, is in my back yard, and I want to see it enjoyed by everybody. As such, I'm perfectly happy working on trails up there in which I will never roll a mountain bike tire on.

Now with that being said, I must exclaim WTF?! When I first pulled into the parking lot, I got very excited. The big MCPC trailer was there and people were all over the freakin' place (maybe even more than the 20 Norm estimates). Wow! This is gonna' be most kick-ass TM day EVER! In all the TM I've done at MDR in the last year and a half, only one hiker has ever shown up for a session. This is great! I genuinely thought it was gonna' be awesome working with a strong contingent from the hiking community.

Then I noticed that most of these folks didn't look like they were getting ready to go play in the dirt. Hmm. I then learned, of course, that there was an organized hike launching at the same time as part of the national trail day thing.

Okay, that's cool. Surely, some of these folks are here for TM and not the hike (again there were a LOT of people).

But no, the only folks (sans Duncan and Tommy) who were there for TM were we bikers. Oh well, that's disappointing, but this is what we're used to up here.

Then I learned we were building a re-route off Headley Overlook that was to be a foot traffic only trail. Jeez, really? Okay, fine...'needs to be done. And besides, Duncan and Tommy put in more time and effort than any five (or MORE) of us building all trail types in Morris County, so it is all good.

It was still disappointing, though. I just hope that they all had a great hike and that none of them sneer or make disparaging remarks to any mountain bikers they meet on their hikes (especially those of us that do TM!). Though, I'll also wager that virtually none of them had any clue that the little group of folks who were sweaty, dirty, and tick covered were bicycle riders that built them a pretty cool hiking trail...while they hiked.

Well, at least the Morris County folks know where the vast majority of their volunteer trail labor comes from...that has to be good for us.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions