TLD 2017. Who's in?

RSAmerica

IMG_5281.JPG

I had my friend Troy design you a ride logo.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
How does the longest day happen on two dates? There's only one longest day and one shortest day.
Not sure but last year Kevin Smith said they did the ride too early compared to summer solatice just to suit the president of the club's needs and then he didn't even do it. So he was gonna change it back this year but it's still a week or two too early. I have no prob dooing the two events but I actually want to be competitive...not just a boat anchor.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I have a proposal. TLD 2017 men's route. 2016 Hillier Than Thou clockwise and counterclockwise at once. 200 miles and 26k climbing.

KStwenty1

The LONGEST DAY registration is now open at www.cjbc.org.

This is a MEMBER ONLY ride and joining is easy and cheap. Annual memberships $15 solo/ $20 whole family

NEW FOR THIS YEAR:
3 well stocked rest areas
preffered vendors along route
3 rides - 50, 100, 200 mile events - cheap registration fees $10, $20, $30
pre-ride included dinner for riders and SAG drivers
Huge discounted hotel rates in Matamoras PA with available shuttle to starting line NY/NJ border
Reserved campground bungalows and tent sites in Cape May Courthouse
A member hosted evening fire-pit party (weather pending)

Membership includes ride insurance, 1 year club acct. Ride with GPS turn by turn directions, rides and events throughout the year with included meals, and more

KStwenty1

Ok folks so here the scoop...
My name is Kevin Smith and I am the Ride Captain, board member , and Longest Day chairman for the Central Jersey Bicycle Club. I've been on this forum since 2008 and have been a cycling enthusiast ever since. I joined the CJBC in 2014 to ride the Farmlands Tour and Longest Day. Since then my interests in furthering my enthusiasm for cycling has led me to becoming part of the team.

Truth be told, the CJBC has had a less than favorable image for quite some time and I thought throwing my hat into the ring would be something I'm willing to explore. Learning of the downfalls and sad stories from friends and fellow cyclists about our club is making this journey somewhat of a challenge, but nothing I'm not willing to tackle. I have expressed my optimism and positive vision to the board and membership of what I feel this club could be. My work is ahead of me and there is not a day that goes by I don't think of ways to further advance and better our club for our members and the enjoyment cycling brings to all of us.

The Longest Day has been my passion since
I first heard of it. This year I've put together rest stops and accommodations for this ride from start to finish. There are three rides offered 50, 100, and 200 mile events. This ride traditional begins on the NY/NJ border on NJ State Highway 23 which is as close to the "tip" of NJ as you can get on public land. It used to start from High Point state park as well. We have long since started this ride and held accommodations at the Days Inn in Port Jervis but that hotel will thankfully be under renovation at the time of the event so we moved it over this year across the river to PA. Next year we will most likely resume at the Days Inn.

Due to insurance reasons, all riders MUST be members of our club. Anyone can join and it's super cheap(and in addition to registration fees) only $15 for individuals and $20 per family.
Registration includes :
1). Discounted hotel rates at Best Western in Matamoras PA. for Friday, June 9, $144 I encourage riders/SAG to double up to save on the hotel room rate.
2). Free "high carb" dinner for all registered riders and SAG drivers. It's an Italian restaurant near the hotel which we will have pasta, chicken dish, salads, breads, soft drinks, tea and coffee. BYOB if you prefer.
3). Free shuttle from PA to starting line being offered to those who need it from 4am to 5:30am day of event.
4). Three well stocked rest stops. This is new and the first time ever has our club iffered this. Still working out the details but they will most likely be around mile 70, 135, and 170. More info to follow there but they shall include cold water, GU power drink, PB&J sandwiches, oranges, energy bars, pickles, pretzels and of course, bananas! Enough stuff to fill your bottles and stuff your jerseys.
5). Preferred vendors along the route. We worked it out with businesses along the route who "know we're coming" and have offered to let us use there bathrooms and facilities. All we ask is that you patronize them first should you need any supplies. These businesses will have a
Longest Day sign in their window.
6). We are in the process of reserving camp sites in Cape May Courthouse. You'd have to back track about 6 miles from the lighthouse to get there but one of our members will be having a campfire and party at his site and all are welcome to join. BYOB of course but we will have some food and refreshments there for riders and SAG.

All riders need to adjust their start times to make every rest stop(as they will only be temporary stops) and make it to the lighthouse by sunset, 8:57 pm. The park closes then and there are no exceptions. All riders should consider having or joining a SAG in place for a much better cycling experience. 200 miles is no joke and train you must. The best and fastest riders still take nearly 11 hours to complete the ride. I myself have a best moving time of 13:30. Saddle time can and will be a factor. An average speed(including stoppage time) of 14mph is required to finish the ride before the sun sets. Bring lights for morning and night.

I hope this answered a lot of your questions of the logistics for the Longest Day. We hope you join us and register for the event on our website. Have a great time but above all ride safe!

If I can be of any assistance and answer any questions or concerns about this event, please post it up here or PM me.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Ok folks so here the scoop...
My name is Kevin Smith and I am the Ride Captain, board member , and Longest Day chairman for the Central Jersey Bicycle Club. I've been on this forum since 2008 and have been a cycling enthusiast ever since. I joined the CJBC in 2014 to ride the Farmlands Tour and Longest Day. Since then my interests in furthering my enthusiasm for cycling has led me to becoming part of the team.

Truth be told, the CJBC has had a less than favorable image for quite some time and I thought throwing my hat into the ring would be something I'm willing to explore. Learning of the downfalls and sad stories from friends and fellow cyclists about our club is making this journey somewhat of a challenge, but nothing I'm not willing to tackle. I have expressed my optimism and positive vision to the board and membership of what I feel this club could be. My work is ahead of me and there is not a day that goes by I don't think of ways to further advance and better our club for our members and the enjoyment cycling brings to all of us.

The Longest Day has been my passion since
I first heard of it. This year I've put together rest stops and accommodations for this ride from start to finish. There are three rides offered 50, 100, and 200 mile events. This ride traditional begins on the NY/NJ border on NJ State Highway 23 which is as close to the "tip" of NJ as you can get on public land. It used to start from High Point state park as well. We have long since started this ride and held accommodations at the Days Inn in Port Jervis but that hotel will thankfully be under renovation at the time of the event so we moved it over this year across the river to PA. Next year we will most likely resume at the Days Inn.

Due to insurance reasons, all riders MUST be members of our club. Anyone can join and it's super cheap(and in addition to registration fees) only $15 for individuals and $20 per family.
Registration includes :
1). Discounted hotel rates at Best Western in Matamoras PA. for Friday, June 9, $144 I encourage riders/SAG to double up to save on the hotel room rate.
2). Free "high carb" dinner for all registered riders and SAG drivers. It's an Italian restaurant near the hotel which we will have pasta, chicken dish, salads, breads, soft drinks, tea and coffee. BYOB if you prefer.
3). Free shuttle from PA to starting line being offered to those who need it from 4am to 5:30am day of event.
4). Three well stocked rest stops. This is new and the first time ever has our club iffered this. Still working out the details but they will most likely be around mile 70, 135, and 170. More info to follow there but they shall include cold water, GU power drink, PB&J sandwiches, oranges, energy bars, pickles, pretzels and of course, bananas! Enough stuff to fill your bottles and stuff your jerseys.
5). Preferred vendors along the route. We worked it out with businesses along the route who "know we're coming" and have offered to let us use there bathrooms and facilities. All we ask is that you patronize them first should you need any supplies. These businesses will have a
Longest Day sign in their window.
6). We are in the process of reserving camp sites in Cape May Courthouse. You'd have to back track about 6 miles from the lighthouse to get there but one of our members will be having a campfire and party at his site and all are welcome to join. BYOB of course but we will have some food and refreshments there for riders and SAG.

All riders need to adjust their start times to make every rest stop(as they will only be temporary stops) and make it to the lighthouse by sunset, 8:57 pm. The park closes then and there are no exceptions. All riders should consider having or joining a SAG in place for a much better cycling experience. 200 miles is no joke and train you must. The best and fastest riders still take nearly 11 hours to complete the ride. I myself have a best moving time of 13:30. Saddle time can and will be a factor. An average speed(including stoppage time) of 14mph is required to finish the ride before the sun sets. Bring lights for morning and night.

I hope this answered a lot of your questions of the logistics for the Longest Day. We hope you join us and register for the event on our website. Have a great time but above all ride safe!

If I can be of any assistance and answer any questions or concerns about this event, please post it up here or PM me.
@Riggedfmx

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice job Kevin -
I think i've been in the cape may courthouse before ;)
Will see if i can provide support for the event through the central nj area. got a few things still up in the air, which may fall on that weekend.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Maybe. Why don't you just do Crush the Commonwealth or the Princeton 600k with me instead? A lot more exciting than doing laps in the PineBarrens.

KStwenty1

Nice job Kevin -
I think i've been in the cape may courthouse before ;)
Will see if i can provide support for the event through the central nj area. got a few things still up in the air, which may fall on that weekend.
You can help by assisting with 6MR Canal Lot rest area from 8am-11am. ;):D

Top Bottom