TLD 2017. Who's in?

Discussion in 'Rides, Races and Events' started by David Taylor, Feb 3, 2017.

1. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

The Longest Day. I will be doing this again this year. Some time between the weekend after bearscat and the end of June. Last year was 216 miles in just under 13 hours with an awful detour. This year I plan to be more comfortable(seat and shoe pain lead to hand pain) and do the entire route and then head back to my house in Hazlet. I may end up at 209 or 350. My body will let me know. This is a "fun" ride in my mind as it's a great mental test and you see the entire state from mountains to pine barrons. Central Jersey Bike usually hosts but I haven't seen a date yet. @jimvreeland @Riggedfmx @xc62701 ? Too soon?

KStwenty1 and grilledcheeseking like this.
  2. jimvreeland

jimvreeland Shop: Hilltop Bicycles Shop Keep

Too soon.

Chrisbfuse and 1sh0t1b33r like this.
  3. hotsauce

hotsauce Well-Known Member

I've never done it but have always thought it was cool and would be interested in hearing more. How do the one-way logistics work?

ReverendNewman and KStwenty1 like this.
  4. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Get dropped off the night before and stay at the lodge in high point and ride all day and get picked up or camp out in cape may

5. grilledcheeseking

grilledcheeseking Active Member

I've wanted to do this for some time, but it just hasn't been in the cards due to injury. I'll see if I'm ready in June, may think about joining for first half and plan to peel off mid way and go home if that's what seems like the right thing to do.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    David Taylor likes this.
  6. xc62701

xc62701 Well-Known Member

Nope I've been thinking about it. July 1st would be the day for me.

7. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

I can adjust. I am doing wilderness too so I want some rest. July 1 may work well.

xc62701 likes this.
  8. xc62701

It mostly depends if the wife will help out and take the trip to Cape May to drive me back. It's too far to take a cab :)

9. fidodie

fidodie Well-Known Member Staff Member

KStwenty1 and David Taylor like this.
  10. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

I am planning to turn around and ride back towards hazlet. If it's hot like last year I may not make it as far.

11. hotsauce

I like 7/1 too. Was planning on being in Ocean City through the 4th so I can just peddle back.

12. pearl

pearl THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING Team MTBNJ Halter's

The Ryan I know would ride back, just saying ;)

GSS and David Taylor like this.
  13. jimvreeland

Yes. I'm doing it on the actual day CJBC puts it on. Kevin and I have a tradition going at this point.

KStwenty1 and David Taylor like this.
  14. xc62701

Lol...true. But I won't just be doing the longest day. Cape may...nah. I want to time it so I can hit the ferry to Lewes DE and end my longest day at the Dogfish Head Brewery. That's the way to cap off the ride.

qclabrat, Ian F, fidodie and 5 others like this.
  15. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

How much further would that be? Sounds interesting. What is tour longest straight through ride?

16. hotsauce

Just hit up Slack Tide outside of Sea Isle on the way through and make the last few miles a happy hour. They're new and their beer is decent, unlike some of their other local competition.

17. jimvreeland

It's like 2 miles extra but an hour long boat ride.

18. xc62701

But it would be sooo worth it.

19. xc62701

I think my longest is 110 miles. I have ridden 20 of 24 hours at Allamuchy for a few events. I have a feeling the pine barrens will suck as much as the second half of a 24 hour race.

20. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

They do. I did it without headphones. Lol. It's physically not a tough ride. Comfort was the most difficult part. Some minor cramping.