Tires again. Mountain Kings v Ardent/Ikon combo or other

HenryK

Replacing the saguaro's on my hardail 29er. usual mix of Jersey trails with most riding at six mile run and chimney rock. thinking of 2.4 ardent up front w ikon in rear , or mountain king 2 front and rear. will be running them tubeless.

any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. intermediate level rider here.

thanks

I Ride Bikes

I am running 2.4 MK2 front and rear. My main park is CR. These tires are awesome here. They really seam to handle all the loose rock well. They're pretty big too so I can run super low psi easily. I also ride six mile. I thought this park would suck with these tires and show the slowness of the MKs, however, the added traction in the turns really helps maintain speed. Although, even in the straights they don't feel slow at all. They also seem to wear like iron. I used to avoid any roads with my other tires but I mix in a lot of road to get to trails plus a few hundred miles at CR and these tires are still like new. Plus there affordable. Mounted on a scalpel.

Supermoto

I had the exact opposite results with MK. I had a MK 2.2 on the front of my RM instinct. Very vague tire. Turn in was terrible. It always felt like it was going to push as you went from the center lugs to the outer lugs, since there were no transitional lugs. Swapped then for WTB Bronson race and the difference was immediate. My average speed went up by 2 mph at 6M

I Ride Bikes

I had the exact opposite results with MK. I had a MK 2.2 on the front of my RM instinct. Very vague tire. Turn in was terrible. It always felt like it was going to push as you went from the center lugs to the outer lugs, since there were no transitional lugs. Swapped then for WTB Bronson race and the difference was immediate. My average speed went up by 2 mph at 6M

I'm assuming you were running the MK2 right? There is a gap in transitional lugs but I never felt this. Just want to confirm for the OP that you were running the newer version of that tire. The best tire I had for six mile was a geax aka. Its like Velcro there but only lasts a few rides at CR.

Supermoto

Yep. One of the great or annoying things about tires is everyone prefers something different and you don't know what works for you until you try it

Last edited:

MikeP

I run MKs on both bikes. I think a MK 2.4 up front and a x-King 2.2 is my next combo on the Misfit.

Top Bottom