Tire selection for local XC racing

mstyer

Is anyone running a combo like the Schwalbe Rocket Ron front / Racing Ralph rear, or would I be better off with a more aggressive tire?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Racing Ralphs have been good this season. I ran the 2.25. Ignitor 2.2 is pretty sweet as well.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Racing Ralph
2.35 F
2.25 R

Haven't tried the new Addix compounds yet, but they're supposed to be grippier and last longer. Speed Grip I think is the one you want. Speed if you have race only wheelzzzz.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ralph’s

225 or 235 in the front. I swap depending on where the race is.
225 in the back always.

Like Dave alluded to, they wear out fast because they are so sticky. Which is good, but they aren’t cheap. So it’s a good idea to have a back up wheel set for racing and keep the Ralph’s on for race day only.

mstyer

Ralph’s

225 or 235 in the front. I swap depending on where the race is.
225 in the back always.

Like Dave alluded to, they wear out fast because they are so sticky. Which is good, but they aren’t cheap. So it’s a good idea to have a back up wheel set for racing and keep the Ralph’s on for race day only.

Thank you! I'm going to give them a try in the new SpeedGrip compound. Schwalbe is claiming much better durability without giving up much, if any, rolling resistance.

Jeffreywoliver

Racing Ralphs seemed like the tire of choice on this thread, but it is old. I’m currently running Vitoria BAR20 2.1. I feel like my weakness is cornering and, I’m sure it’s a skill set issue, but wonder if a little more edge traction would help. Any updated selections? I’m going on vacation all next week and need to order a new rear tire before I go. Current tire is punctured and the refill of Stan’s just squirts out.

terrabike01

Racing Ralphs seemed like the tire of choice on this thread, but it is old. I’m currently running Vitoria BAR20 2.1. I feel like my weakness is cornering and, I’m sure it’s a skill set issue, but wonder if a little more edge traction would help. Any updated selections? I’m going on vacation all next week and need to order a new rear tire before I go. Current tire is punctured and the refill of Stan’s just squirts out.
I have had horrible luck with Racing Ralphs and I see you had the same. They are light but I dont think they hold up well in places like Ringwood, Mooch and Port Jervis. I have been using Maxxis Aspens and have endurance raced them in every H2H race location this year and last with no puncture issues. I sliced one up at Bear Creek but that was my fault as I was running too low tire pressure. Check them out.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My recent experience is limited to schawlbe because they sponsor us. So I can only speak to them.

The Ralph’s are different now.

Schwalbe recommends to put a racing Ray in the front and a newly designed Ralph in the back. I like the Ray. It’s a front specific tire and when they are new they are great. I’m indifferent on the new Ralph in the back. It’s a low profile that reminds me of those Hutchinson pythons. Which sucked. These are better but you need good conditions to take advantage of them.

Jeff, for you, I’d try a racing Ray or nobby nic in front. 2.25 if you’re worried about weight and 2.35 (only the nic comes in 235) if you want more turning capability.

In the back, a rocket Ron seems like a good all arounder.

choop

Maxxis Recons are a good all around fast tire. I also raced Specialized Fastraks this year and they are good for courses without too much rock.

Top Bottom