Time to buy a snowblower...

This is probably one of your better threads some decent advise, especially that guy that said to make your 19-month-old do it. I mean he will be like 21-22 months by the time snow comes around.

My son still trips when trying to walk down my driveway, to damn steep for him, I'd shovel but I'm on a blind corner so I need to clear snow quickly to be able to pull my car into the driveway. I can't make it into my driveway with snow since its so steep.

My son still trips when trying to walk down my driveway, to damn steep for him, I'd shovel but I'm on a blind corner so I need to clear snow quickly to be able to pull my car into the driveway. I can't make it into my driveway with snow since its so steep.

buy a real 4x4 and good tires. let the snow sit till it melts. problem solved.

OR fire, that will solve it too

go on CL and find an older model with a Tecumseh Snow King engine. I have a "crappy" MTD snowblower with it and it starts on the first pull every year. It did lose a number screws last year so its time for a tune up after leaf season is over.

Reactions: rlb
you just missed out on my older model Ariens 524 I had listed here since last March, literally sold it last week.

I would highly recommend this model (older one as mentioned above) or a Toro as mentioned too. The Ariens I had ran flawlessly for many years and i only ever needed to do basic maintenance on it myself (one time took it in for some work on the axle in a span of about 8-10 years.)

I only sold it for a bigger one since I take care of so many of the elderly neighbors, I need to spend less time outside. Got a great deal from a neighbor on a Toro PowerMax 828 since he was moving out and didnt need one any more.

I also agree hit up a local dealer/power place because they cringe when you bring them a retail model from HD or Lowes and you go to the back of the repair line.

And since i did all this, it's guaranteed NOT to snow this winter.

I think all the stations selling straight gas close for the winter since I'm by lake hopatcong.

Actually there are no stations selling non-ethanol fuel in NJ - it's a State Law. But Avgas is available;)

Also get a carb rebuild kit when you purchase one - you won't need it until you have 2 feet drifting in the driveway and the blower won't run. This is also why you don't get a HD/Lowes models - zero parts availability.

Actually there are no stations selling non-ethanol fuel in NJ - it's a State Law. But Avgas is available;)

Also get a carb rebuild kit when you purchase one - you won't need it until you have 2 feet drifting in the driveway and the blower won't run. This is also why you don't get a HD/Lowes models - zero parts availability.

It says Morris County Marine by me sells "pure gas(Ethanol free)" gas maybe non ethanol gas can't be sold by gas stations?

People keep saying buy from a power equipment store and not a box store what are the biggest down sides from a box store, parts availability isn't a big deal I usually load up on parts like spark plugs and gasket kits when I buy powered equipment. Is parts availability the biggest reason?

I would recommend shopping at a power equipment store. The big box stores offer nothing as far service or advice. Someone said track machines, that would only be needed if you have a steep driveway. They are very hard to maneuver compared to a wheel model. As far as brands the top 3 are Ariens, Honda, and Toro.
My dad's 1967 Ariens with a 5 hp Tecumseh is still going strong. Dad not so well at 84 yrs we had to retire him from using it. Starts on 2 pulls everytime. Be sure to drain the fuel every spring or the crappy gas will turn to muck and ruin the carburetor. And plenty of good advice on the snow blower forum.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/index.php

I would recommend shopping at a power equipment store. The big box stores offer nothing as far service or advice. Someone said track machines, that would only be needed if you have a steep driveway. They are very hard to maneuver compared to a wheel model. As far as brands the top 3 are Ariens, Honda, and Toro.
My dad's 1967 Ariens with a 5 hp Tecumseh is still going strong. Dad not so well at 84 yrs we had to retire him from using it. Starts on 2 pulls everytime. Be sure to drain the fuel every spring or the crappy gas will turn to muck and ruin the carburetor. And plenty of good advice on the snow blower forum.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/index.php

If I do all my own service would it still matter

While it's under warranty, yes. If it has a problem the big box stores send you to a power equipment authorized dealer. Your machine goes to the end of the line since you did not purchase it there. My woman friend had an issue with a mower, friggin month to get it resolved. HD sold it, no repairs.

A lot of times equipment sold by Big Box are licensed brands and not actually built by the listed manufacturer. They are lower quality machinery than you would find in a power equipment store. This means it is harder to find parts long-term and often not built nearly as well. On a mower it isn't a major deal as long as you have a decent engine but something like a snow blower there are a lot more components that can fail due to poor quality and you really don't want those headaches when there is a foot of wet snow on the ground and I can guarantee that is when it happens.

A lot of times equipment sold by Big Box are licensed brands and not actually built by the listed manufacturer. They are lower quality machinery than you would find in a power equipment store. This means it is harder to find parts long-term and often not built nearly as well. On a mower it isn't a major deal as long as you have a decent engine but something like a snow blower there are a lot more components that can fail due to poor quality and you really don't want those headaches when there is a foot of wet snow on the ground and I can guarantee that is when it happens.
^^^this!!

It says Morris County Marine by me sells "pure gas(Ethanol free)" gas maybe non ethanol gas can't be sold by gas stations?
Any place that sells fuel for boats is typically ethanol free or at least should be. Ethanol is bad news around moisture.

Fine I'll stop buy Hanover power tonight :(

What do you have?

Any place that sells fuel for boats is typically ethanol free or at least should be. Ethanol is bad news around moisture.
Ethanol gas should be stored in a sealed container. It will start to go bad after 30 days. Fuel stabilizer will definitely help shelf life.

Snow blowers suffer from bad gas more than lawn mowers. Blowers are stored during the summer with high humidity. I have rebuilt many carbs due to the fuel going bad. Even dear old dads's blower and mower had to be cleaned out. He would forget to drain them in the spring even tho I asked if he
drained and ran them dry.

Back
Top Bottom