Tiger Blood

njkayaker

I finally found it after all riding I do in Mahlon. cool trail! need to get to know it better so I feel comfortable on it. some of those rock walls are nasty. think it rides easier towards Blue Herron vs towards Mahlon.

huffster

How did you know you were on it? I've ridden a lot of trails there, but not sure if I have ridden Tiger Blood. Any intel would be appreciated.

mntal

Some of the stuff on Tiger Blood is hard either way - I do a nice job however of walking over those things - you should see it. The other side of the road (Weldon) is great too - I don't know if it has a name but it seems like a sister trail - heads off the yellow from the parking lot and ends up around the highlands trail. I wouldn't recommend riding it towards the parking lot - I am sure there are some animals out there who like it that direction - I tried it and I would suggest its more of a one way adventure.

njkayaker

I talked to someone I met Sat and then found it after. it is very close to blue heron parking lot several hundred feet up the trail. instead of bearing left to go over that cement patio there is a big rock face straight ahead. go up and over that. i could be wrong and it could just be another trail i never have found but my guess is that it is Tiger Blood

Mildly Wild

I talked to someone I met Sat and then found it after. it is very close to blue heron parking lot several hundred feet up the trail. instead of bearing left to go over that cement patio there is a big rock face straight ahead. go up and over that. i could be wrong and it could just be another trail i never have found but my guess is that it is Tiger Blood
That is it. I do a great job of walking some of the TF's myself.
PS: Fight Club rule

huffster

Assuming I understand "wink-wink", I've ridden it both ways and definitely think it rides better from power lines end going down toward Blue Heron. Not the most recent time, but the time before that, I put a nice 1" long rip in a sidewall on some of those rocks. My trusty $1 bill and a tube got me back rolling.

njkayaker

saw fresh tracks from others this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 516

Eddie Z

My second time on Tiger's Blood yesterday. Rocking the brand new Cannondale Bad Habit 2 with the 27.5"+ tires, set up tubeless. My first time on TB, I maybe managed to get over 25% of the features. Last night, I improved that to maybe 40% of the features. That trail is a double black diamond trail, and my new bike is well matched for it. The main problem is, I have blue box talent. LOL. If I'm ever going to do better, it's going to take more studying of the lines, getting more comfortable with the new ride, and whole lot of practice. At age 53, I'm just not the risk taker I once was. If anything, last night was a reminder that I'm better off riding other trails. But it sure did get my adrenaline flowing on the stuff that pushed my limits a little bit.

In other areas of the park, in addition to numerous fallen tree and face-slapper removals, I might add a rock or two to a logover or a rock crossing to improve it for intermediate riders like myself. I can already tell that I'm NOT gonna lay a finger on Tiger's blood! It's a already a work of art for advanced riders. I don't wanna piss anyone off in that regard.

gtluke

The Moped
My second time on Tiger's Blood yesterday. Rocking the brand new Cannondale Bad Habit 2 with the 27.5"+ tires, set up tubeless. My first time on TB, I maybe managed to get over 25% of the features. Last night, I improved that to maybe 40% of the features. That trail is a double black diamond trail, and my new bike is well matched for it. The main problem is, I have blue box talent. LOL. If I'm ever going to do better, it's going to take more studying of the lines, getting more comfortable with the new ride, and whole lot of practice. At age 53, I'm just not the risk taker I once was. If anything, last night was a reminder that I'm better off riding other trails. But it sure did get my adrenaline flowing on the stuff that pushed my limits a little bit.

In other areas of the park, in addition to numerous fallen tree and face-slapper removals, I might add a rock or two to a logover or a rock crossing to improve it for intermediate riders like myself. I can already tell that I'm NOT gonna lay a finger on Tiger's blood! It's a already a work of art for advanced riders. I don't wanna piss anyone off in that regard.

Man, if you think tiger blood is a double black diamond you should check out FUGAWE. That one must be like 73x black diamond.
Tiger blood is a good mix of blue square with maybe some black diamond. Go check out the roller right next to tiger blood if you want to see real black diamond action.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I'm ever going to do better, it's going to take more studying of the lines, getting more comfortable with the new ride, and whole lot of practice.

Follow somebody better than you. That's the easiest way to get way better at this kind of riding this kind of terrain. You'll start seeing the lines in a different way.

Eddie Z

Excellent advice. I usually can pick a pretty good line, provided I can see what's on the other side. I'd have to study the entire feature and remember things like "When you get to the peak on that one, the line is off to the right", etc.

But some people don't see those huge gaps between tall rocks on steep inclines as a problem. To me, they look like $10,000 worth of ER visits, MRI's and months of Physical therapy. LOL.

Last edited:

goldsbar

Real "Fight Club," I just found it on Strava or at least the "non dangerous" version. Might try it this weekend. How does it compare to Ghost or Four Birds? Love those trails.

xc62701

Real "Fight Club," I just found it on Strava or at least the "non dangerous" version. Might try it this weekend. How does it compare to Ghost or Four Birds? Love those trails.
If you like those trails you will love TB. Ghost is a little flowier and less technical than TB.

goldsbar

Found it. Great trail, though a bit hard to follow given all of the twists and the current leaf situation. Dabbed a foot plenty of times and left some blood once on an indecisive tip over, but thought everything was doable and obstacles were short and well spaced. Pretty much perfect.

Keeping it vague, after finishing TB and crossing a sea of reeds, I found some more new-to-me single track with fewer but harder features than Tiger Blood. This one had a rock ramp down to flat followed by an optional 2' drop off onto another rock ramp. I'm glad it was meant for the other direction so I don't have to admit I would have bailed. Trail was almost completely blotted out by leaves in certain parts.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Alright fam, I finally stumbled onto what can only be the elusive Tiger Blood. I won’t say where it is, but I’ve been riding from Glen rd and taking the power lines to the rail trail for a few years.... I usually pass the ponds and go straight to the little single track section then loop back up the road to the trails by the park and ride and hit up Crescent trail.

My question is...does the trail loop or does it just take you into Mahlon? I turned back after a short bit because it was 20 degrees and there was a stream crossing I didn’t feel like dealing with.

Friggin awesome trail from what I rode tho. Exactly the technical nonsense I was looking for. Kudos to whoever is blocking off all the cheat lines. I saw your little stick piles everywhere...?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My question is...does the trail loop or does it just take you into Mahlon?

It goes from near the park and ride to near Mahlon, and it rides great in both directions. There is a Strava segment for it if you check out the segment explorer.

Kudos to whoever is blocking off all the cheat lines.

The trail builder is pretty vigilant about shutting down cheater lines as they pop up.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome. I’ve riding RIGHT past it this whole time. I do enjoy the little tech section when you go farther past it though. You know where there’s like a roller to a skinny across the creek right into a rock garden? I was so proud of myself when I cleaned that the first time.
DE97E0E7-7B00-495C-8E0F-9679030EB317.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions