Ticks? Already? Or Sand Flea?

ReverendNewman

Went out last Monday and Tuesday at Allaire. Wednesday, I felt a little itch along my waist band towards my back. Didn't think nothing of it. I scratched it and that was it. Thursday, got home from work, showered and felt the itch again, rubbed it and it felt like a zip. So I kinda pinched it real hard and pulled "IT" out. Definately felt like something was holding on to my skin. I was like wow, that was no zit. But not realizing it, I crushed it between my fingers before I looked at it. It looked like a flea. I don't think I could have crushed a tick. I mean the thing that pissed me off, was I wear two shirts, and one I always tuck in. So I'm like how did that little bugger get down there. I figure it must have landed on my neck and the sweat just washed it down the back of my shirt. I was thinking about getting some of the Off Deep Woods and just spraying it all over me next time.

I had a few very small ticks on me 2 weeks ago not deer ticks but I think juvenile normal ticks I was able to crush one with my thumb nail. As I remember sand fleas are very tiny and more bite the crap out of you than hang on.

watch for the bull's eye rash, otherwise you should be good.

ticks are bad this year - i'm finding wood ticks crawling on me almost every day.

---

there are other creepy-crawly things that like to grab hair and follow it down to the follicle. They multiply quickly, so you'll know it in a few days....recommend full body shampoo with A200.

watch for the bull's eye rash, otherwise you should be good.

/QUOTE]

I recently had lymes last year. I never did have the bull's eye's rash. I did have one the 1st time I got it years ago.

I figured out I had it when I started feeling like crap after I remember pulling a tick off me. Got tested to be sure i had lymes.

For the lazy:

1. Symptoms of early localized Lyme disease (stage 1) begin days or weeks after infection. They are similar to the flu and may include:
    • Chills.
    • Fever.
    • General ill feeling.
    • Headache.
    • Joint pain.
    • Muscle pain.
    • Stiff neck.
Lymes is pretty easy to get rid of in stage 1, so if you have any doubts don't mess around and get tested.

Later stage symptoms:
  • An expanding, circular rash at the site of the bite. More rashes may appear on other parts of your body as the infection spreads.
  • Pain, weakness, or numbness in the arms or legs.
  • Not being able to use the muscles of the face.
  • Headaches or fainting that continues to happen.
  • Poor memory and reduced ability to concentrate.
  • Conjunctivitis (pinkeye) or sometimes damage to deep tissue in theeyes.
  • Brief episodes of pain, redness, and swelling in one or more large joints—most often the knee. Joint problems are common.
  • Occasional rapid heartbeats (palpitations) or, in rare cases, serious heart problems.

Good info! TY.

geez, sounds like they should make it part of the blood screening.

Any time you are in tall weedy or shrubs that is the perfect place for ticks to attach I try and stay on the single track if we do stop during a ride I stay to the center of the trail.

I try and stay on the single track if we do stop during a ride I stay to the center of the trail.
I try to do these things too, but have probably picked 10 ticks or chiggers (not sure) off me so far this season. And of course, I already have some poison ivy patches on legs/arm/neck. And then there is the additional scratches from prickers on the arms and legs that this season brings as well. I guess this is just the price we pay.

Just a heads up that I just pulled off 6 nymphs today. I was trying to avoid chiggers so I stayed on all the well worn in trails. I thought that they were specs of dirt until I look at them with a magnifying glass.

Just a heads up that I just pulled off 6 nymphs today. I was trying to avoid chiggers so I stayed on all the well worn in trails. I thought that they were specs of dirt until I look at them with a magnifying glass.

What are Nymphs? I am hammered with bumps all over my legs and waist line from riding the Coke trail earlier this week. A day and three showers later I pulled off 5 pencil tip sized black bugs that looked different than tics. I dont think they were Chiggers because there were not red.

What are Nymphs? I am hammered with bumps all over my legs and waist line from riding the Coke trail earlier this week. A day and three showers later I pulled off 5 pencil tip sized black bugs that looked different than tics. I dont think they were Chiggers because there were not red.

Pinhead size ticks. Truthfully harmless!!! My dog must've ran into a nest a few years back and had an uncountable amount on her leg. The only way for me to get rid of them is shaving her down!

Pinhead size ticks. Truthfully harmless!!! My dog must've ran into a nest a few years back and had an uncountable amount on her leg. The only way for me to get rid of them is shaving her down!
Just had the same issue with our dog. Started with finding 20 clustered on his ear, followed by 100+ more on his leg. Had to sit there for a while lightly scalping them free with a plastic butter knife.....Loads of funo_O

@Patrick Botti you would know if you had chiggers...you would be itching. As for the black bugs...I don't know what else would attach itself to you and survive three showers other than a tick. Nymphs are super tiny.

@The Kalmyk I wouldn't say Nymphs are harmless they carry Lyme disease. I believe the larva is harmless.

@Patrick Botti you would know if you had chiggers...you would be itching. As for the black bugs...I don't know what else would attach itself to you and survive three showers other than a tick. Nymphs are super tiny.

@The Kalmyk I wouldn't say Nymphs are harmless they carry Lyme disease. I believe the larva is harmless.

I haven't googled or indulged in esoteric studies like the life cycle of a deer tick. The vet I saw identified the over 1000 ticks on my dog as nymphs. He also stated that my dog likely ran into a nest and that the ticks found on my dog (they were white) were nymphs and could not transmit lyme for they have never fed on an animal prior to infesting my dog. That left me to believe that nymphs are harmless.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions