Ti or carbon

I don't or never had a race or carbon road bike to compare it. I've only had steel road bikes with endurance geometry to compare it to. So I tell you what I know based on that.

It feels pretty stiff when pedaling and turning but the ride feels soft like steel. The frame tube shapes on the Litespeed aren't round so that may attribute it to have a stiffer ride than I expected but I was still looking for that soft ride feel. However, it's not butterz like my steel bike. So it's been lovely. It's not squirly feeling like my steel bike and it's certainly a lot lighter.

I don't or never had a race or carbon road bike to compare it. I've only had steel road bikes with endurance geometry to compare it to. So I tell you what I know based on that.

It feels pretty stiff when pedaling and turning but the ride feels soft like steel. The frame tube shapes on the Litespeed aren't round so that may attribute it to have a stiffer ride than I expected but I was still looking for that soft ride feel. However, it's not butterz like my steel bike. So it's been lovely. It's not squirly feeling like my steel bike and it's certainly a lot lighter.
what do you ride on for steel? curious why it's squirrelly

damn I'm doing it all wrong. Gonna order some Rapha gear now.

Jamis Quest 631 Reynolds. I also have had a few Surly's 4130. The Surly's are stiffer but heavier.
Jamis, commence belly laugh.

I was not being snobby but you can probably admit that there is going to be a large difference between a garden variety steel and something even a step up AND who puts it together, as is with any material. Many of the entry level steel frames have noodles for Bb's/rear ends that you can move them back and forth with your feet clipped in. However, they have a place for trashing in the winter or a IDGAF bike.

I have heard in the Interweb steeel is still most "complient". Of course Ti is lighter but does not flex like steel if thats your thing.

some folks like flexy frames, I tested the "Sticky" model from the Cherubim store in Tokyo earlier this year that was down right scary
It has a 25.4 downtube to achieve this "favorable" pedaling rhythm. Just by standing on a pedal you could see it flex more than a centimeter
beautiful build, just not for me
img_sticky.png

Many of the entry level steel frames have noodles for Bb's/rear ends that you can move them back and forth with your feet clipped in.
My Soma Smoothie has some good flex when it's on the trainer. I didn't know if it's a normal amount of flex, so now I only use it on rollers when indoors, lol. Rides awesome outside though.

How about both??? I love this thing. View attachment 44330
interesting that only the downtube is Ti, can you explain the design around that and choice of materials, wants to know
carbon with metal has been around for as long as I can remember, early on they flexed like crazy and would "unglue" themselves from the lugs. But those were with aluminum, is carbon with Ti the ideal mate? I'll find from time to time Ti and carbon frames on the bay go for very little on relatively new bike

Back
Top Bottom