Ti or carbon

That is a tough choice. Probably carbon if you need to chase people around quickly, or titanium for yourself forever.

Aluminum. I'd take a CAAD12 ultegra over either of those. If those are the only two choices, go with the metal one. McMonocoque road bikes make me yawn.

I threw up in my mouth alittle bit when I looked at that Fuji.
While I like metal bikes and 2/3 of my bikes are metal, my carbon bike is a rocket ship and I love it. I am not convinced that cheap Ti is better than mid-level carbon.

cheap ti? subjective maybe? 3AL-2.5v seems to be the standard

Probably Taiwanese welded straight gauge 3-2.5. I've never like the look of the GT triplet triangle thing but that's not a bad looking bike. Better looking than the Bikesdirect cheap Ti offerings. That Fuji looks like a torture device. I'd crit that shit but for JRA i'd look elsewhere.

some may disagree with me but that GT triple triangle is pretty timeless....make that in Ti and you have a frame that will stand the test of time and proabably hold a lot more resale value in the long run.

My brother picked up the Ti Xizang 29er from Jenson when they were on clearance. it was a great value.

cheap ti? subjective maybe? 3AL-2.5v seems to be the standard

but aero yo
Is all 3AL-2.5v the same? Would there be a difference if GT has a machine weld it or Fire Fly or Seven worked with it? I think you know the answer. Similar to garden variety steel and something a notch above.
Aero = stiff bike that will jack hammer you where you ride.
I'm supporting a local bike shop in southern CA
Or I'm buying used because Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Oh substantial % off
Aren't all of the mail order places an LBS somewhere? I remember seeing a bunch of the big ones in the San Diego area.

Make sure the S/M/L sizing fits, you could likely resell the Ti next year for a few bucks less whereas the Fuji will consistently drop 20% each year

I don't get the idea of resale value. You guys buy bikes with the idea to sell them again?

My very simple plan:

1. Buy bike
2. Ride bike
3. Break bike
4. Goto step 1.

In order to break a bike a few things need to align, (1) take it out of the house, and (2) some moment of inertia to cause failure
lately I'm more likely to take my bikes to the driveway and run them over with my car

Manny, I have leftover '16 54cm Roubaix's and Tarmacs that I could give you a killer deal on. Feel free to bring cash (and lunch).

I don't get the idea of resale value. You guys buy bikes with the idea to sell them again?

My very simple plan:

1. Buy bike
2. Ride bike
3. Break bike
4. Goto step 1.

Not particularly, no. But if you look at frames that are 10+ years old, generally, Ti holds its value a bit longer

Back
Top Bottom