Threaded Bottom Bracket + 30mm Crank Spindle?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I see that Chris King is now offering a threaded bottom bracket that allows 30mm spindle cranks to be used with an old-school BSA threaded frame.

https://chrisking.com/products/302

Anyone have any experience with this setup? And is any other manufacturer offering a similar option?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

gtluke

The Moped
I see that Chris King is now offering a threaded bottom bracket that allows 30mm spindle cranks to be used with an old-school BSA threaded frame.

https://chrisking.com/products/302

Anyone have any experience with this setup? And is any other manufacturer offering a similar option?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

this is what got segundo boned out in the rockies. not the chris king one, I'm sure he does it way better but there is still a major flaw in the bearing size. There really just isn't enough room in the bearing cups when you shove a 30mm spindle in there. The balls are just too small. Maybe CK does it really nice and it'll last, maybe you never get yours wet, but it's not ideal.
However, that new SRAM dub BB setup claims to solve all the problems. If you don't have the cranks already, I'd aim for that.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/1...ksets-are-more-durable-lighter-than-anything/

alex_k

FSA MegaEVO & RaceFace Turbine - both have 30mm spindle and offer BSA bb for quite a while

mstyer

FSA, RaceFace, Rotor, Kogel, Wheels Mfg, and Enduro all offer BSA to 30mm spindle bottom brackets. You just have to make sure that the spindle is long enough.

ChrisG

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, I'm thinking of this for my road bike. Right now, I've got an old set of Force cranks and a generic SRAM bottom bracket on there, and thinking of putting on something new. I see lots of BB-something cranksets for sale, and wanted to know if I'm able to take advantage of a good deal on one of those by using a BSA-to-30mm bottom bracket.

King would likely be the only I'd consider anyway.

mstyer

For a road bike, you'll need the longer spindle of a BB386 crankset. It's still 30mm diameter, but it's significantly longer.

1518106765326.png

ChrisG

For a road bike, you'll need the longer spindle of a BB386 crankset. It's still 30mm diameter, but it's significantly longer.

Aha. This is why I posted the question. I was hoping a standard BB/PF30 crankset would work. I've never heard of BB30/86 before.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, I'm thinking of this for my road bike. Right now, I've got an old set of Force cranks and a generic SRAM bottom bracket on there, and thinking of putting on something new. I see lots of BB-something cranksets for sale, and wanted to know if I'm able to take advantage of a good deal on one of those by using a BSA-to-30mm bottom bracket.

King would likely be the only I'd consider anyway.
Yes, you need a longer spindle as the BB30 is for the inset bearings.

FWIW, Chris king B.B. have not impressed, I destroyed a pf30 in half a winter and the 24mm Mtb one just never felt smooth.

Now kogel, different story. The pf30 one on my evo has been stellar, 20,000+ miles with minimal service. Not sure if it translates to the other bearing sizes.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Wait, scratch that, I thought we were talking about mountain bikes. For road? Just stay with a normal 24mm crank if you're running a threaded shell.

Top Bottom