This week in dot watching: Cameco Cowboy Tough AR

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
So for anyone here who likes to watch dots slowly move across a map while they sit behind a computer at work, I will be racing the Cowboy Tough adventure race in Wyoming this week.

Race tracking page: http://www.cowboytoughwy.com/#!live-map/c1j8w

I am racing with Team# 311 - NYARA

I am flying out tomorrow, race starts thursday morning and ends sunday at noon. On wednesday we have gear check, skills check and we get the race maps. In reality the race begins when you get the maps. careful route planning and strategizing is incredibly important. we will spend hours and hours on wednesday pouring over the maps and trying to plan out every detail of our race, so that when we are sleep deprived out on the course, we can think a little less and follow the plan we made for ourselves....hopefully.

Currently this is all that we know about the race course: it starts and ends in Casper, WY, and has the basic breakdown of legs and distances as follows

15542791-1e7e-48aa-b252-2468237fe896.jpg

Total distance looks like 429 miles. This will change based on our route choice and if we have to drop any optional checkpoints.

This is also a nonstop race. We will have to stop and sleep at some point, but I estimate we wont have much more than 3 hours of sleep for the entire race.

@ajcourain is going to be the world's greatest wife, and has decided to come out to the race and be an on course volunteer. Hopefully she will have some data service throughout the race and will be able to post updates or pictures here.

the competition level for this race is very high. I think if we could break into the top 5 for this, that would be a massive success..but right now the goal is going to be to finish the full course and move efficiently.

the weather forecast looks to be dry and hot. Dry is good..hot is not. im going to have to spend extra effort to stay hydrated.

I wasnt nervous about this race until i wrote this post....now im nervous....great....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
good luck! looking forward to some dot watching.

Is the discipline 'Challenge' - something you will find out when you get to that spot?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you have to carry a bike and kayak on your back? Good luck man!

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
good luck! looking forward to some dot watching.

Is the discipline 'Challenge' - something you will find out when you get to that spot?

yeah, the race directors like to include some cheesy challenges in their races....i dont think any of the racers really enjoy it but its their "thing" they do. it could be anything from assembling a tanagram puzzle, to filling a bucket with a hole in it or something. who knows...hopefully its not too cheesy lol.

@1sh0t1b33r

haha, no, the race directors will be transporting boats and bikes to the start of each individual leg. but we will be carrying mandatory gear/food/water with us the whole time. we will be able to restock when we see our gear bins at various transition areas.

jackx

Dot watching is getting seriously popular around here! I will be tuning in to see if the dots will be "cowboy hats" for the
Cameco Cowboy Tough AR.

That is a LOT of mileage in 3 days. Best of luck to you and your Team! !

axcxnj

Hipster Keys

That is a LOT of mileage in 3 days. Best of luck to you and your Team! !

yeah this is a lot of mileage. The race directors have a habit of estimating high, but knowing what i know about this race, a good amount of mileage will be from biking on dirt roads in order to reach certain, more technical sections of the course

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
good luck out there Aaron! Every time I've driven through that area it has been crazy windy.

edit: just checked the weather. " Wind W 32 mph gusts to 40 mph " Makes staying hydrated even harder...

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
I added up ~272 miles by bike...and on that shit box you ride...that alone should warrant some kind of an achievement medal :)
lol..my bike is fantastic. it should handle the miles pretty well. However i am concerned about the 98 miles of paddling. canoe seats are even worse than bike seats if you can imagine that. But dont worry, ill have 4 solid days to think about all of the terrible life decisions i have made that brought me to paying large amounts of money in order to torture myself instead of just buying a nicer bike. =]

ajcourain

Retired from burrito Shiffering
Yay dots!! When I go over our data plan while out there, I assure you it will be because I've posted so many awesome updates in here and not because I instagrammed and facebooked the crap out of my downtime. Because I never do that!
:thumbsup:

Top Bottom