MTBNJ's birdbox DH challenge thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
of being a fat dad!

Welcome to Max's self improvement thread, your home for everything MAX!!! As anyone from the OOS group will tell you, you will always have toooo much Max but just in case you haven't here is some more!!! Now to what I'm here for, I feel like crap and I think its because all I take in is crap, so I'm gonna start eating right, working out(Biking, running, lifting), sleeping right. After being at my highest weight in at 248 in May, I got down to 231 earlier this month and have been floating above that since then. I'm not going to be doing any diets or anything too strange I'm just going to be eating stuff in the right proportions and less junk(no more candy fast food and soda).

Work out plan, I use to do body weight and that's what I feel comfortable and safe doing alone. Also there is minimal equipment and I have a fitness playground thing a miles run from my house. Biking I'm going to try to do 2 times a week and run when I don't bike, tomorrow I plan to get my first run down and I'm aiming for 2 miles at about 11 minute pace to ease into it, plus I got so many hill by me, who ever thought putting mountains around here should be knee capped.

Working has been pointless since I've eaten like crap for so long I simply am going to cut my calories down to around 2k(going lower as what I'm eating gets better) and eat what my wife makes. I am going to continue eating my staples, rice and beans, while replacing rice sometimes with quinoa and other things which are better for you. Aside for counting calories, I'm going to fast to close my window of opportunity of eating since I basically eat for 18 hours out of the day, and I am giving up gluten. "Wait you said you aren't doing anything strange," sadly my son is allergic to gluten and I feel its important that he is able to eat off my plate so I think this is a life style change I should make for the sake of him. It should also help that I'm aiming to get 7 hours of sleep every work night and 8 on days off.

All those things are important for getting me to the general goal of not being a fat dad but I have more specific fitness goals that I've listed below as well as mental goals. Mentally I just want to make my self more available to my wife, I've been a very reserved(with feelings) person my whole life and I think expressing my self honestly will help continue to build on our relationship. I use to be not afraid of failure but as of late being out of shape has shaken my confidence into being scared of seeing what I'm no longer capable of. Frank has really helped me realign my expectations with what we could be capable of, as we grow in age doesn't mean we can't continue to physically develop. I'm going to start reading to prepare my self to go back to school in the next year and even start doing projects rather then watching TV, I work behind a computer and thats enough screen time I shouldn't be coming home and watching tv to unwind and my young son should be playing not having any nonproductive screen time. I think those few things will help me have a more positive outlook.

Physical goals,

I turn 27 on September 30th I'd like be 220 by then.

I signed up for the NY state police test with the expectation of being DQ'd(again) for being color blind I give my self 3 months(11/21/18) to be able to pass their test, 40 sit ups in one minute, 33 pushups and 1.5 miles in 11:58.

1st day of spring weight goal is 200 and participate in one race on bike or foot.

June 2019 be down to a 32 waist(36 today) which is what I wore in high school and it will be my 10 year anniversary of graduating, I don't plan on going lol.

I do have 2 request from my friends of MTBNJ keep me accountable, if you see me slacking call me out I respond best to that, and enjoy the thread we're all to serious in life crack jokes at my expense and its ok to laugh nothing is out of lines as long as it doesn't break the rules of the forum. Other then keeping track of my fitness I'm may also post some projects from metal, car crap, woodworking, and literally a bathroom remodel. I hope to push other people out their to better them selves and stop putting it off for tomorrow, like I've been doing for years, so I'm finally starting now!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow.
First off, good for you!

Secondly, wow.
Always great to see someone striving.
Remember where you are right now, mentally and physically.
Come back to this first post from time to time if you need a reminder.

It reads to me like you are aiming to make a lot of changes.
Strive, but be gentle at the same time.
You didn't get where you are overnight, no reason to expect changes to come immediately, embrace your progress.
I say that just so you don't push too hard to discourage all effort.
Going from eating 18 hours a day to a 2000 calorie diet is a big shift.

I like the goals you have laid out, and the reasons/motivations.

Specifically (unsolicited) advice:
1) change your name from Max to Min. (Sorry, couldn't pass that one up)

2) set realistic trajectories for your goals (e.g. 2000 calories in 2-3 weeks, tapering)

3) Keep a food journal for at least a month. I found this incredibly helpful.
Write down everything you eat that has calories- meals, snacks, drinks.
You will be surprised how much you take in any given day, and it will set you to thinking about your eating. It just helps shift it from an unconscious to conscious activity. You will find yourself considering that snack because you know you'll have to write it down. You can also track water intake, exercise and sleep.

4) You are absolutely right focusing on portion control and eating clean. These are sustainable habits, unlike most diets which get you results but can't be maintained.

And keep leaning on MTBNJ and the OOS crew during your journey.
There's no overstating the value of moral support.

Good luck, looking forward to following your progress!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Good stuff dude!
Just don't do anything too much and too fast where you will burn yourself out.
Communicate your goals with your wife as you will need her help to achieve them

Will be rooting for you and subscribed!

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
a lot of info in there - self-assessment, and targeting anything that may prevent you from reaching your many goals.
Very honest - great start! May want to post some bullet points on the fridge, so the w1f3 is all in with you.

As a computer person, does lots of data help? Perhaps a bluetooth scale (i like weight guru), and garmin 35 (track runs, steps, sleep)
I also use Veloviewer.com for better workout visuals than strava (it sucks data from strava)

Everyday is a new opportunity - seize it, and let's get that bathroom done!

oh, and water - lots of it, all day. Every time there is an urge to eat off-schedule, drink water.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
oh, and water - lots of it, all day. Every time there is an urge to eat, drink water.
The following is from a guy who is struggling with his own weight...
I say eat what you want but in moderate to limited quantities or you will stress yourself out. Stress in itself is a factor in weight gain.... so I am told.
Designate a rewards day... whether it be once a week or once every other week. If you are craving that Big Mac, have that SOB on your rewards day but don't binge on it. Just have 1 with a side of salad with little dressing instead of fries.

Did I mention that I had 5 Big Macs in 1 sitting when I was in the 5th grade? lol

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The following is from a guy who is struggling with his own weight...
I say eat what you want but in moderate to limited quantities or you will stress yourself out. Stress in itself is a factor in weight gain.... so I am told.
Designate a rewards day... whether it be once a week or once every other week. If you are craving that Big Mac, have that SOB on your rewards day but don't binge on it. Just have 1 with a side of salad with little dressing instead of fries.

Did I mention that I had 5 Big Macs in 1 sitting when I was in the 5th grade? lol

i should clarify - when going to graze, when not meal-time, drink water. you know, that meal between breakfast and lunch where last night's leftovers get
devoured without even sitting down.....gotta eliminate that.

Last edited:

qclabrat

To not offend some, I'll be heckling you in person and PMs to stay on track. If I'm good at anything, it's probably harassing and annoying people.

My kids are now teens and not a twenty or thirty something, but here are some of my thoughts.
- If you have more kids, your plan will change a lot, don't ditch the plan, just adjust accordingly and expect realistic results
- Do more with your wife now and encourage more outside activities. She many never like riding singletrack, but she my be interested in Fall rides on the Columbia Rail with your son in tow and a picnic lunch
- You don't need to look like Ronaldo to exit the OOS group. Find a healthy balance in food and exercise and see how your body responds. Most people will not get back to their HS measurements. I got to my target weight last year, but had to essentially give up eating a real dinner. It sucked, I love to cook and eat and though I may have "looked" better, I really wasn't happier. I eat pretty healthy overall, but for me it's portion control. My buddy is like you in size, and had a heart attack a few months ago at 47. He eats well for dinner at home but eats terribly for lunch and binge eats at night. He's also of South American decent and grew up on rice n' beans and not much of drinker.
- You have way too much on your life changing list, pick two the first month, then add one every one to two months. I don't doubt your endless millennial energy but you'll spend so too time trying be on plan, it needs to be somewhat fun or you'll quit before soon.
- Sleep, unless your work dictates it, sleep on a set schedule. How many times have we seen you posting here at 3AM before a 7AM ride?
- I just picked up another team member for MTBNJ short track races. So far, Me, You and Frank. @C8N, starting designing a full kit for the Spring.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@C8N, starting designing a full kit for the Spring.
12an5t.jpg

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
This is good stuff. The motivation has to come from within or you won't achieve results and you have clearly decided to do this. Nice work!

I went through a similar phase myself. I was always athletic as a kid, in high school and to some degree in college. After college I blew up from 190ish to 235. I am 5'10. At the age of 25 I had ridiculously high blood pressure and was basically obese. I felt like crap. I made a lot of the changes you are making and I got down to 169 at one point. I rebounded a bit but I now fluctuate from 185-190 ish and I am ok with that.

More unsolicited advice:
-Definitely keep a food journal/count calories. DO NOT CHEAT. If you want to be able to actually eat and still maintain 2000 net calories/day you will decide all on your own what you should eat. Ice cream, candy, soda, etc. are loaded with calories. Lean meats, fruits, and veggies not so much.
-Ease into running. I would do a couch to 5k plan that incorporates walking and running to begin with. Back when I lost all my weight I was a runner (sadly, I didn't even own a bike then). You will hurt yourself going too far too quickly. 11 min/mile sounds slow but if you haven't done it before it will be hard on your body. Build up the intensity and distance slowly.
-Buy stuff to keep you motivated if you can. You'd be surprised the power those brand new running shoes or bluetooth headphones or whatever have to get you off the couch. Obviously you have to keep the wife happy and live within your means but money invested in your health is money well spent.
-Intermittent fasting works. I only eat between 11am and 7pm. I am usually really busy in the morning so that helps me keep my mind off food.
-EDITED to add: Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes your body will need a break. Listen to your body. You will learn when to push through and when to take a day off. There's nothing worse than sitting out for 6 weeks due to an injury when you're trying to accomplish your goals.

You are on the right track! stick with it and you will achieve your goals.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok here is my advice:

1. Change the title as per @C8N or "asshole in Korean" or Paul or whatever he wants to be referred to
2. Take everyone's 3rd piece of advice and just use that
3. Don't eat on Mondays (see point #2)

Yeah, I understand the conflict in points 2 & 3. It's like trying to write a time travel story. The permutations are too complex.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was listening to one of the podcasts and wondered if I should request my ID to be changed just my name Paul H but was afraid to ask not knowing what you guys will actually change it to lol

Sorry.

Note that I really don't know you well at all but we did meet once and you seem to be able to roll with this. If it's too much LMK. I'll change it later but I think it's a good hat to wear for today. Just for my own entertainment.

Mtbdog

great move Max. Ironicly on Sunday's ride I mention this to the guys, that in my opinion I thought you "burning the candle at both ends" so to speak. I hope you stick to it and reach those goals. Good Luck were on your side,(I would say behind you but that ain't gonna happen!(lol) :thumbsup:

The Kalmyk

Looking forward to see this grow.

Being that you've made a public statement, I will assume you are looking outward for motivation and expectations (that's not a bad thing). Taking that approach I would highly suggest looking into a group or person to train with you. I might get some jeering for this but you can find plenty of outside motivation from a crossfit gym.

Knowing yourself and whether you tend to meet internal or external expectaions is critical. Example- you are training to be a marathon beast like @fidodie and your parents come up to visit you from their Florida home (you know... @rick81721 style). You haven't seen them in awhile, they are only here for one day and adamant you spend as much time as possible with them. Do you go for that 3 hour training run and tell your parents they have to wait or do you postpone the training run?

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Sorry.

Note that I really don't know you well at all but we did meet once and you seem to be able to roll with this. If it's too much LMK. I'll change it later but I think it's a good hat to wear for today. Just for my own entertainment.
Whenever I get stressed due work, mtbnj is one of the place I can escape to get a chuckle and I definitely got a chuckle on this one

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I've lost 25 lbs in 3 months doing intermittent fasting and cutting out sugar. I simply skip breakfast in the morning, drinking only black coffee and water with lemon and apple cider vinegar. Leaving at least 16 hours in between those meals allows your insulin to drop and your body will burn its own fat for fuel. When I cycle in the mornings, or strength train, the benefits increase. Check out Dr. Fung on YouTube, he specializes in type 2 diabetes and obesity, and reversing them through diet. Not saying you have either of those conditions but the way he breaks down the science is very easy to understand.
Another lesson I have learned over the years is that's it's a lot easier to just not eat something then try and burn it off. Also, there's nothing wrong with cheating every once in awhile. I don't mean pick a day where you go balls to the wall with all the crap you want, but rather pick a meal where you have something you really enjoy. For me, it's beer. I have been able to lose 2 lbs a week on average and still enjoy beer once or twice a week; none of that low carb crap either.
Congrats on realizing you needed a change in your life. Stay focused and remember why you set out to do this in the first place.

qclabrat

I've lost 25 lbs in 3 months doing intermittent fasting and cutting out sugar. I simply skip breakfast in the morning, drinking only black coffee and water with lemon and apple cider vinegar. Leaving at least 16 hours in between those meals allows your insulin to drop and your body will burn its own fat for fuel. When I cycle in the mornings, or strength train, the benefits increase. Check out Dr. Fung on YouTube, he specializes in type 2 diabetes and obesity, and reversing them through diet. Not saying you have either of those conditions but the way he breaks down the science is very easy to understand.
Another lesson I have learned over the years is that's it's a lot easier to just not eat something then try and burn it off. Also, there's nothing wrong with cheating every once in awhile. I don't mean pick a day where you go balls to the wall with all the crap you want, but rather pick a meal where you have something you really enjoy. For me, it's beer. I have been able to lose 2 lbs a week on average and still enjoy beer once or twice a week; none of that low carb crap either.
Congrats on realizing you needed a change in your life. Stay focused and remember why you set out to do this in the first place.
a few have mentioned skipping breakfast, isn't that the "most important" meal of the day as advertised all these years? If it wasn't for the family time which dinner allows I could skip it from time to time. Has your research discussed the optionality of skipping either meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom