MTBNJ's birdbox DH challenge thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
a few have mentioned skipping breakfast, isn't that the "most important" meal of the day as advertised all these years? If it wasn't for the family time which dinner allows I could skip it from time to time. Has your research discussed the optionality of skipping either meal?
There is no hard and fast rule to skipping either meal. When you're sleeping you're already in fasted state so it just seems easier to keep that trend going. More families tend to be home for dinner then breakfast so it works for my wife and me to skip breakfast. The most important part is getting that 16 to 18 hours of not eating so your body burns its fat.
The whole "breakfast is the most important meal" has been pushed by food companies as long as anyone can remember. So much has been pushed by the food industry it's disgusting; their agendas have aided this country and the world into obesity and diabetes. Food pyramid, that gets you to eat more cereal because they push grains. Snack all day to lose weight? Snack companies. You will go down a rabbit hole when researching this stuff.
My personal conclusion which seems like common sense is be balanced. I eat plenty of vegetables from the farmer's market, meats from grass fed animals and wild caught fish. I limit the crap intake and with exercise the weight is flying off. Everyone is different, what I'm doing now is working so I'm going to keep at it.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
More unsolicited advice:
-Definitely keep a food journal/count calories. DO NOT CHEAT...

Upon re-reading this I want to clarify. Don't cheat on the food journal. Even if you blow it up one day (cheat) make sure to record all of it. It will help in the long run to know you had 2,000 calories of pizza and 1,000 calories of beer during a football game... and like @Big Dumb Animal said, it's ok to indulge a little every once in a while.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes your body will need a break. Listen to your body. You will learn when to push through and when to take a day off. There's nothing worse than sitting out for 6 weeks due to an injury when you're trying to accomplish your goals.

this is probably the best piece of advice on training, and its the one thing that separates the pros from the amateurs (us), the Pros know when something feels off and they will scrap a hard workout that day and either go easy or not workout at all depending on how bad they feel. This prevents them from getting hurt and being sidelined for 4-12 weeks for recovery (ok 12 weeks is long, but im trying to make a point). Its ALOT better to miss 1 day of working out than it is to miss a month or more.

on a related note, i let myself get up to 215 while i was in college (at 5'10ish i think that was quite heavy), thats when i bought my first real mountain bike and started riding somewhat regularly. a few years later when i gradated college i was around 185-190 (better, but in hindsight still heavy for me). At that point i moved out of my parents house and had more control over my diet, and fewer outside influences, i cut out junk food almost entirely and started riding more often (3ish times a week at that point) i went from 185-160 in 6 months), At one point i was even down to 155, but that didnt last, and now being married and since i moved in with my wife (this was before we got married) it has been harder to have self control with the diet, this has definitely affected my weight, im back up to 165-170, but im also riding stronger than i was and feel good, so take it as it is.

ok threadjack over. sorry if thats too much, just wanted to share what worked for me.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
a few have mentioned skipping breakfast, isn't that the "most important" meal of the day as advertised all these years? If it wasn't for the family time which dinner allows I could skip it from time to time. Has your research discussed the optionality of skipping either meal?

My experience is that having something, either a protein shake or plain/0 fat greek yogurt, helped me not be famished at lunch - leading to over eating.
I'm also a fan of getting some protein in the body right after a workout. Seems to be what i crave (that and a beer) - we are talking about a sub-300 calorie breakfast too.
just no sugars, so no insulin bounce. and eggs/meat is gluten free (as are most greek yogurts and the shakes i drink)...so that would work

qclabrat

I've been contemplating on getting either a juicer or smoothie blender. I know the benefits of each, but not sure of which at the moment. If fasting, juices would probably metabolize quicker. @arangov3 any plans for liquid meals?

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Agree. Also, juicing fruits isn't as good for you as you'd think. You get all the sugar and none of the fiber.
So true. I have the ninja which is a lot cheaper. They used to have the lifetime warranty but they've limited it to 2 years now. You can put anything in those and they blend, instant breakfast. Or whatever meal you prefer blended.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just join the army, its like a 6-8wk program, when you come out you'll be a lean, mean, fighting machine.

Cut calories, and find ways to reduce stress, other then over eating. You are young, you have the time to turn it around, you can do it.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Today's snap shot, I started the day at 232.4 and ate no candy(I haven't done that in weeks), I ate about 1800 calories I was surprisingly not hungry today but it must have been since I was super busy today. @Paul H this eating thing hasn't killed me yet but I am about to work out and go to bed. Today might shape up like last night my son is wired so we might be going on a drive soon.

Snap notes so far from the thread holy shit there is so much stuff, great stuff and... stuff I'm gonna keep as much detail as I can I hope you all keep me accountable.

Gradual changes
track my food
tell my wife my goals
put it on my fridge or somewhere visible
drink all the water
C8N is dead and became ass hole something now goes by Paul I think it needs to be changed to Pat
Don't be stressed out
count everything
Paul is a sensitive boob
@qclabrat I welcome all heckling, you've been with me on rides I heckle and have no ground to stand on to heckle lol
Ease into my running and don't cheat(I assume with food?)
get active with my wife(out side you sick fucks)
looking good isn't always feeling good(I'm taking this with a grain of salt Walter!)
sleep sleep sleep no more sleepless in north jersey before rides
@Norm change my name to c8n lol and since I've been eating every monday since forever I wont eat till the count is even
@The Kalmyk I haven't felt motivated in forever I am doing this to get heckled into keeping my end up, you would think with a kid I would find some but he's become my snuggle buddy and I just watch him play, I have a running stoller now I hope it gets us out together.
Fasting helps this is going to be my biggest change my first month I think, I want to eat from 10 to 8 eventually.
Indulge sometimes
thread highjacks are ok
Eat my food like a baby, blend it teeth are over rated
Join the army, can I even? I have a plate in my head and I'm color blind

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
let the police handle the indecent exposure aspect.... poor souls

I'll never forget,"this is a family place not a place to make a family."

Day 2 I forgot my lunch and wallet at home, fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk scale said I'm 230.4 so we're heading the right way, I know stepping on the scale isn't good to do everyday but it helps see what I did yesterday's effect on me today. I had about 12 cups of water and still felt like shit trying to go to the doctor on Saturday and get tested for lyme

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

Day 2 I forgot my lunch and wallet at home, fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk scale said I'm 230.4 so we're heading the right way, I know stepping on the scale isn't good to do everyday but it helps see what I did yesterday's effect on me today. I had about 12 cups of water and still felt like shit trying to go to the doctor on Saturday and get tested for lyme
Document the weight lost on an excel chart.
Definitely see a doctor

qclabrat

what happens on a day when you weigh more than the previous? Fast for 24 hrs or cut off a limb. When weight mattered to me, I'd only step on the scale once or twice a week. I personally think the scale is a terrible measure of health. Which is why you'll never see me at Weight Watchers....

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Document the weight lost on an excel chart.
Definitely see a doctor

i have the fitbit scale, and i stand on it almost every morning (not good for most people) the fitbit scale takes your weight and bf% (Bioimpedence measurement) and uploads it to you account (its wifi connected). Then fitbit lets you see trends over varying time periods ect ect and more data is good in that respect, but if you are the type of person who wants to see and react to results test by test (weigh in by weigh in) then weighing everyday is too much, more like weekly. There are too many factors that affect your daily weight number (and body fat #) including hydration level, how long since you last drank, how much youv eaten, WHAT youv eaten what your activity level is ect ect (no this is not an all inclusive list, nor am i doctor to share the effects of each item, just observations that i have made watching my own trends).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom