This is terrible news

Captain Brainstorm

It depended on the weather. On the bike a Kahr PM9 or S&W M&P 38 special 5 shot

Nice and compact, can’t go wrong with either. Good thing in NJ though is low likelihood that anyone is going to try to roll you in the parks, at least up north anyway. Been riding in the woods a long time, have never had an incident where I felt threatened.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to carry a little Kel-Tec .380 on certain rides when I lived in South Carolina. Never thought I’d need to use it over someone trying to steal my bike...more so if I just ended up in the “wrong place wrong time” scenario. Road rides could sometimes pass through some sketchy hoods, and solo night rides in the woods...you never know what you might run up on. I spooked a group of kids doing god knows what on my local single track night ride once...they scattered like roaches (probably thought I was a cop with my bright lights), but it sketched me out just as much as them probably. Crazy to think of getting shot over a bike though. How much meth could that possibly buy?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One place I was scetched was the Washington heights section of the green trail. Which is commonly a hit spot where they 2x4 you for bike and cash. It was safer going through Harlem at night. But yeah I would get pretty scetched during some nights.

qclabrat

One place I was scetched was the Washington heights section of the green trail. Which is commonly a hit spot where they 2x4 you for bike and cash. It was safer going through Harlem at night. But yeah I would get pretty scetched during some nights.
How long ago was that? Most of Brooklyn is pretty nice with the exception of some projects. I always wondered where the poor people are now.

qclabrat

I used to carry a little Kel-Tec .380 on certain rides when I lived in South Carolina. Never thought I’d need to use it over someone trying to steal my bike...more so if I just ended up in the “wrong place wrong time” scenario. Road rides could sometimes pass through some sketchy hoods, and solo night rides in the woods...you never know what you might run up on. I spooked a group of kids doing god knows what on my local single track night ride once...they scattered like roaches (probably thought I was a cop with my bright lights), but it sketched me out just as much as them probably. Crazy to think of getting shot over a bike though. How much meth could that possibly buy?
I always wondered what @liong71er and others who bikepack do when they run into problems on the road. Especially when you're miles from others.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How long ago was that? Most of Brooklyn is pretty nice with the exception of some projects. I always wondered where the poor people are now.
Probably like 5 years ago when I was bike commuting. That part of the greenway is dark as hell and weaves into some wooded like area.

Kaleidopete

MTB Machine Gun.JPG

Top Bottom