Thinking about riding to work

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
So, I have a 13 mile commute to work from Hillsborough that I'm considering biking occasionally. I can either ride Amwell or Amwell to Blackwells Mills & Skillmans. Earliest I can get on the road is 7:30 AM due to daycare.

I'm scared of the rush hour idiots. Any advice/suggestions?

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I can't recommend much about your route but I can say..

Drive your clothes in earlier in the week if possible, otherwise use panniers. Backpacks=sweat. I like to ride in wearing spandex in the summer because I'm a sucker for a good shammy and the stuff breaths great. In the cooler months you can go with pants but I like to keep to the tech stuff up top.

Make sure you have at least a hand towel ready with your clothes. Don't forget flat fix stuff.

Deodorant for a quick freshen up is usually nice.

I avoid helmet hair with the help of a cycling cap. Hat hair is more manageable for me.

Blinkies will help you be more visible for the sleepy masses.

Hope some of that helps.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
bunch of people here live-on/ride/drive that route - be a bit more specific if you don't mind....

you can probably find a couple peeps to help you out if you want to go fair weather only, and get caught.

rick81721

Lothar
Amwell is really bad that time, I'd avoid it if you can. Also Blackwells Mills is now closed between Van Cleef and S. Middlebush (working on the 6mr creek bridge?). What's your destination?

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Google earth has a bike button to show the safest way to work.

Did you try it?

As a side note, I just committed to these in our new shop:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2014/Bikes/Electric/Road/SPORTe.aspx

It is a great way to ride to work and not get too sweaty. They are pricey, but a ton of fun. I was super against e-bikes till I rode one with the BB/ Bosh motor.

Thanks, J. I checked out Google maps, and it suggests Amwell also. eBike looks super cool, but I really want to try it on my road bike; this idea struck me as a way to squeeze in more miles. Luckily, I have access to a shower at work.

bunch of people here live-on/ride/drive that route - be a bit more specific if you don't mind....

you can probably find a couple peeps to help you out if you want to go fair weather only, and get caught.

I start from New Amwell and end on Cook College campus. I'm thinking of trying to do it 2x per week, in fair weather only.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Someone else started that commute awhile back...

looks like some of those neighborhoods east of south middlebush have paths connecting the dead ends - might be bike friendly.

hamilton might be better than amwell - but it looks like amwell to south middlebush (there are a few cut through sections just after the canal to eliminate the corner before colonial park) -

VanDbtRiver

Being a commuter myself, i would say add miles if adds safety... Bang onto the tow path where you can... Colonial maybe? And take to new brunfis , you know the rest.

06BlueBeauty

I would also add a good light to your bike. You never know when you might get stuck at work late. Also the more clothes you can leave at work the better, especially shoes. I commuted for a while myself and loved it.
Good luck... All I can say is there is always an excuse. Eventually you just have to pull the trigger and go for it. I made a lot of excuses at first but then I finally did it and loved my commuting days.

Glenlivet12

My wife rides to work in New Brunswick from hillsborough. I'll try and post her route when I get home. She works near the train station at the university press on the college ave campus.

Last edited:

mandi

Cut through the Dunkin Donuts parking lot - Make a right on Hamilton & take to the end. Then make the right onto Millstone River Road, Left onto Amwell, Right back to Millstone River Road.

From there go the back way with the Canal/Blackwells Mills. I would absolutely avoid Amwell from Shop Rite to Woods Road

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat

Cut through the Dunkin Donuts parking lot - Make a right on Hamilton & take to the end. Then make the right onto Millstone River Road, Left onto Amwell, Right back to Millstone River Road.

From there go the back way with the Canal/Blackwells Mills. I would absolutely avoid Amwell from Shop Rite to Woods Road

Thanks for the route information, you guys! Mandi - that's my current commute route by car (subbing Amwell for Hamilton). Looks like I'm going to give it a try soon! New adventure :)

Glenlivet12

Thanks for the route information, you guys! Mandi - that's my current commute route by car (subbing Amwell for Hamilton). Looks like I'm going to give it a try soon! New adventure :)

Its really not bad. Presumably you're leaving earlier than you would driving so you'll be past Amwell by the time all the traffic. The route cuts out what we think is the sketchiest part of Amwell. Good luck!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you try it?

It is a great way to ride to work and not get too sweaty. They are pricey, but a ton of fun. I was super against e-bikes till I rode one with the BB/ Bosh motor.

E-bikes are coming to Germany (maybe Europe) in a big way. Dudeman told me 7/10 bikes he sells is an e-bike. Their whole front section of the store is all e-mountain bikes.

10682241_10100369193210648_6953911881618731061_o.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Did you try it?

People gotta stop by halters just to try this bike. I gave it a quick shot around the parking lot and couldn't stop laughing - you feel like superman!

I Ride Bikes

People gotta stop by halters just to try this bike. I gave it a quick shot around the parking lot and couldn't stop laughing - you feel like superman!

I rode it around the parking lot too. Its so weird. Something you got to get used to. I was coming up to the curb to hop up and was going slower than I wanted. I decided to half crank real quick to pick up speed. Then the motor kicked in right before the curb. Lol. Kinda sketchy when you first try it.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

True story. Some random dood let me ride his while I was in Germany. Nothing like going 20+ uphill on dirt.

1389079_1693534857537442_1096967827_n.jpg

Top Bottom