The what did you just listen to thread. (not music)

gtluke

The Moped
Podcasts and audiobooks!

I can't get enough of ear reading. In this thread we will discuss cool ear reading.
This was a really good weak of ear reading for me.
2 of my favorite #JRE guests came on together.
Randall Carlson. http://sacredgeometryinternational.com/randall-carlson
I though he was a geologist bust he's not. I like his description of mythologist.
He's really good at explaining and showing these crazy ancient catastrophic events through awesome research and physical clues left on earth.
He teamed up with Graham Hancock, author of Fingerprints of the Gods and now Magicians of the Gods.
He's at odds with the standard narrative of ancient Egypt. He believes that the Sphinx is way older than the classical belief spells out. Using clues like water erosion on the Spinx, which constellations that the Spinx is facing through the precession of the equinox to "prove" that the Spinx predates the Egyptians.
Both of these guys believe there was a successful civilization that predates "known" history.
Randall believes and has strong evidence of an asteroid impact on earth that could/would have totally F'd any civilization in that time period. but at 15k years + ago, there is just so little physical evidence that they existed.
The most compelling arguments are the Spinx, Gobekli Tep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe , and the fables of the lost city of Atlantis, and the fables of a "great flood"

Then I read on Saturday:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle
The man in the High Castle.
I started reading it because of some crazy stuff that Neil Fallon of Clutch said, so I wanted to see what it was all about. Then Mirsky said it's a TV show now? Interesting.

On Sunday I followed up with another Dick book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
I really liked this one. I put it in the same level as I Robot which I read over the summer that I also really liked.
I thought of @HeavyMetaLance and @Robin because part of this story in this post-apocalyptic world is that any life/animals are really coveted. And the main character "trades" three "Nexus 6's" for a goat for his wife. Lance gets his Nexus 6 today. And Robin definitely needs a goat.
This book is the reason why google named their phones "Nexus" and they get numbered. It just so happens that right now the Nexus 6 is the new phone, and in the book the Nexus 6 is the current iteration of the most advanced android.

Now I need something else to read. Maybe I'll go back and re-read Asimov's "Foundation" because I didn't get out of it what I think I should have, or what others have.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fingerprints of the Gods was a fun read. Did you listen to Stoned Ape Theory? Lol.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Saturday I listened to "When you get a chance... Thank you... Good job!" On a six hour loop. :) I'll take that over the six hour swim meet I had to go to Sunday anytime.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
My mind told me to have a glass of bourbon after a bunch of Headys and a couple of Dogfishhead special releases. I shouldn't have listened, but I did.

rick81721

Lothar
I thought Joe Rogan was a comedian - is he like Art Bell and just talks about this crap or is he an Alex Jones and believes it?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've listened to JRE a few times and it's excellent, but I have a five minute commute and just don't have the ten+ hours a week to commit to listening to it. If you post up episode numbers of really good ones once in a while then I'll definitely check them out when driving to trails. I'll start with 725.

RobW

Just listened to my pops tell my mom how a guy split a log with a bungee cord.. I'm not impressed

Mountain Bike Mike

I made it an hour and a half through the JRE and will finish in a little while. MIND BLOWN.

This is very interesting stuff. I'm going to entertain my winter hibernation time down that bunny hole.

gtluke

The Moped
I made it an hour and a half through the JRE and will finish in a little while. MIND BLOWN.

This is very interesting stuff. I'm going to entertain my winter hibernation time down that bunny hole.

I suggest all the JRE's with Randall Carlson, Graham Hancock, Daniele Bolelli, Rhonda Patrick, Dan Carlin, and Chris Ryan.
If you want to get freakier there are many more. I don't know where your tolerance for "down the rabbit hole" goes.

Mountain Bike Mike

I suggest all the JRE's with Randall Carlson, Graham Hancock, Daniele Bolelli, Rhonda Patrick, Dan Carlin, and Chris Ryan.
If you want to get freakier there are many more. I don't know where your tolerance for "down the rabbit hole" goes.

I'm in.. I don't attach to groups or religions, I only believe that there is a much higher power out there. The JRE podcast got me excited so lets see where it goes.

Thanks!

gtluke

The Moped
Today.
Www.chrisryanphd.com/tangentially-speaking/2015/11/22/154-sheldon-solomon-terror-management-theory

Chris Ryan and Sheldon Solomon talk about terror management and how humans are alone in knowing our own mortality. Homo Sapian Sapians. Apes that know we know.

Www.opieandanthonypodcast.libsyn.com/accelerated-06-26-2015

Opie and Jimmy podcast. Clips of Jimmy reminding me that he's the funniest man alive.
Some weird medice and my wife hates me.

www.radiolab.org/story/birthstory/
Radiolab on the gray market of buying and importing babies. Focuses on gay Israelies and surrogate mother's from India.

gtluke

The Moped
JRE 724 with Josh Zepps.
Good conversation about modern times. Can be summed up with a Sam Harris quote.
When the jihad nuke finally goes off we'll be arguing about transgender pronouns.

Reactions: rlb

gtluke

The Moped
Followed up with Rogan on Josh Zepps podcast.
More of the same. Can be summed up with a Marshall McLuhan quote.
Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of the machine world, as the bee of the plant world, enabling it to fecundate and to evolve ever new forms. The machine world reciprocates man's love by expediting his wishes and desires, namely, in providing him with wealth.

Top Bottom