The View From The Drey

does your wife eat the same meals as you? I've been considering an eating regiment different from my family and it seems pretty hard to follow.

btw, what's you daily calorie intake and how many hours do you sleep?

Between trying to get a roofer, fixing a plumbing leak that a plumber caused, and all my clients thinking that the world will stop spinning if their record isn't done NOW, I have only been able to lurk on my favorite diversion, mtbnj. Since I bailed on my 8 minute test (again), I have time to catch up.

Let me get back to the food thing:

Wednesday breakfast, as usual.
DSC00895.JPG
Lunch: Salad and a lentil soup.

DSC00896.JPG

Dinner: Collards with wet Jollof rice, carrots, tomatoes, onions and S.D. tomatoes. I threw in a banana for dessert.

Thursday breakfast, as usual.

I was home because I was scheduled to work the entire weekend on a musical that's about to open.

DSC00897.JPG
DSC00898.JPG

Lunch: Vegetable soup and a salad with homemade dressing made from almonds, garlic, balsamic, currents and a few other herbs. It doesn't look appetizing, but it tastes very good.

Dinner was out at a place called Ellary's Greens on Carmine. I had a big salad and a chickpea burger. (Sorry, no photos)

Friday breakfast, as usual.

DSC00899.JPG

Lunch was the infamous Nude Noodle from my lunch spot, Green Symphony in midtown. It's soba noodles, greens and vegetable dumplings. I also had a protein smoothie with Acai, kombutcha, banana and plant protein.

DSC00901.JPG

Dinner, a @hotsauce favorite, the southwest stew chili. I threw in a banana as well.

Saturday breakfast, as usual.

I was at work and I had a room full of clients. I call it entertaining because, for the most part, they don't really need to be there. So, my life isn't my own.
DSC00902.JPG

My lunch/dinner was a tin full of steamed vegetable dumplings. This is post mortem. I was very hungry around 11:30p when I was done, so I grabbed a Kind bar, which was a horrible error in judgement. It just has processed sugar, which I shouldn't have. I was weak...forgive me.

So, after all of that, my body fat hadn't really dropped out of the usual range (12-14%).

Time to make the breakfast.

does your wife eat the same meals as you? I've been considering an eating regiment different from my family and it seems pretty hard to follow.

btw, what's you daily calorie intake and how many hours do you sleep?

For the most part, my wife eats what I eat. For lunch, she usually has a lean white meat as well as a salad. She doesn't tolerate beans as well as I do, so for all those bean meals above she creates it without the beans, steams beans for me and eats hers without. When we go out, she's dining as she wishes. This would be a lot tougher without my wife's support.

I actually don't count calories. My Dr. told me not to bother. He said as long as I paid attention to nutritional content my body would find it's healthy place. He also told me not to snack. That 3 meals a day is enough and I should pay attention to what real hunger felt like and only eat when I was truly hungry. This is not easy.

As far as sleep, I usually get between 7-8 hours of mostly restful sleep. There are times I don't believe it's enough, like this morning.

Gun Story #2

When I started at Columbia in 1987 I was 25. Almost everyone else on the staff was at least double my age. There was one guy who I was certain was triple. They all loved having a new set of ears to tell their stories to. One of them was Russ. Russ was a long time Columbia engineer. He was from Texas, spoke with a thick drawl, was thin as a rail and smoked like a chimney. Russ worked on that gold record that's in the Voyager 1:

http://www.theonion.com/article/sto...n-mes-55617?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

He also did a lot of jazz. Great jazz. One day he was tasked to mix a Charles Mingus record. For those of you who don't know who he is, Charles Mingus was a band leader, composer and bassist and as popular in the 50's and 60's.

-1.jpg

The producer, Teo Macero (center, with Maynard Furguson, left and Stan Tonkel, seated)

-2.jpg

was making multiple records that day and could not be in the mix room. Well, Charles immediately fell asleep as Russ mixed away. Russ created a reference tape, woke CM up, gave him the tape and sent him on his way. About a week later Russ was booked to mix the same music with Mingus and the exact thing happened. After the mix/nap a ref was made and Mingus went home. A week later Russ is booked to mix the same music, but this time when Mingus walked in the door he put his revolver on the console and said "you're gonna mix it my way now MF!!!" Russ looked at Mingus, excused himself to go to the bathroom and hightailed it for the street. Russ never worked with Mingus again.

Oh, Stan Tonkel, engineer. Suit and tie every day. Had narcolepsy and would fall asleep at the console. Every day. Always had a smile on his face and laughing (exept for this picture). Recorded some of the biggest artists in the 60's. Recorded Bitches Brew. Recorded Jimi Hendrix's last performance at the Isle of Wight in 1970. More on that another time.

Training:

The year started off well. I was 29 watts up on my ftp (I think I've mentioned this before) and I was feeling strong, then I caught the damn head cold. Then it moved to my chest. I'm finding it hard to recover from the cold and training. Here's an image of my training stress:
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 6.57.57 AM.png

Needless to say, mid Feb. was the cold and as hard as I tried I cannot regain the January momentum. On top of it, there have been additional work & home stresses, which have robbed me of quality sleep time. They're mostly first world problems, but they're mine.

I totally blew my 8 minute FTP test on Tuesday, hence the big catch-up with my posting here. I haven't decided yet to just keep my ftp where it is and continue or retest. I'm sure it will be a game day decision next Tuesday.

I'm also thinking about starting my early AM outside riding, which are laps at Liberty and a hill loop up and down the cliffs behind Hoboken. Even with lights front and back, I always feel like a target at 5am, so I'm never comfortable at this time of year.

I've been finding that I'm making nice gains with weight training. It's not helping me with my riding at this point, but I come away from each workout feeling like I accomplished something. My Dr's would rather me lift more than ride, but I tell them they're both crazy. I feel they're factoring in age and a concern for me popping a collateral vessel. If I didn't pop one at Marty Cross last year, then they're never gonna pop!

سنجاب

AND...I finally received my Uuni 3, so this Sunday will be pizza day at the Drey. The Baking Steel might have to go if the Uuni lives up to expectations. Images to come.

This is just my opinion and do not expect anyone to adopt my train of thought. I truly believe the disconnect between strength training and endurance athletes is such a opportunity. One guarantee in life is we will get weaker. As a non racer and someone who will never be a professional bike rider, i see no reason not to entertain the idea of adopting strength training (not body building).

Twice a week I do two excercises to maintain strength. Turkish get ups and deadlifts.

Thank you both. I'm into lifting and the intention is definitely not body building.
bodybuider_hard_muscle_by_ridwal-d63hm48.png

I do a modified 5x5 plan 3 days a week, or at least try recently. It's funny to me that the my Dr's see my advancing age and immediately see me withering away. I know I'm not as strong as I used to be, but My skeletal muscle % is not low. I feel the issue for me is the balance between lifting and riding. I just never feel I get enough saddle time. That being said, I decided this year to do the mid-volume training, but remove a TSS filler day (4 days instead of 5) to wedge in additional lifting.

I'll check out the CX Mag article and the Wendler.

Thank you both for your input.

I feel the issue for me is the balance between lifting and riding. I just never feel I get enough saddle time.
This is the hardest part, for sure. Riding 5 days and lifting 2 means no rest days and no time for yoga. Doing double workout days is the best way to do it, but tough with limited time. Also remember to take recovery weeks from lifting just as you do with riding, ideally make it the same week for all activities.

This is the hardest part, for sure. Riding 5 days and lifting 2 means no rest days and no time for yoga. Doing double workout days is the best way to do it, but tough with limited time. Also remember to take recovery weeks from lifting just as you do with riding, ideally make it the same week for all activities.

I have Zero experience with yoga. What does it add for you?

I'm on and off yoga. I love it and it's a great way for me to unwind in the evenings. But most nights, I walk in the door, devour dinner, crash with wifey and watch a movie. If I do yoga I miss wifey time and there's so little of it.

What I get from it is that I feel more balanced and open physically and much more centered emotionally.

I've taken notice to people who project themselves on the inter web as high output individuals. One common topic that keeps coming up indirectly is time and how it's spent.

I would be interested in yoga but it isn't time well spent considering family obligations. People in my office have just come to terms that I often stretch throughout the day. I only do what I can standing up of course. I don't work at Google or some overly progressive thinking company. While it may not have the full impact as yoga it's better than zero. In regards to emotional balance I close my eyes for 10 minutes while at my desk when the opportunity is there and attempt to blank out. It helps me check out.

Back
Top Bottom