The View From The Drey

The Squirrel

Six Degrees of Bike Separation

I had been preparing for yesterday's session for quite some time. It's the twentieth-anniversary reworking of this neo-soul record that I really like. Pretty huge artist. But in typical fashion, it's going to be a circus. On top of it, it's a snowstorm and Sony is closed. Because the video crew has to fly back to LA on Thursday (it seems it had to be a social media event), the session can't be moved so it will start early (8 am) and I'll have to blow off my trainer ride in the morning. Quick recap: Snowing, early start, circus, no support, big artist, AND NO MILES ON THE BIKE. Squirrel is not starting the day well.

The schedule gets blown out of the water (rarely is anyone on time in this business) and there's a lot of confusion even though there's over a dozen people there (handlers, make-up, PR, Label people, video crew, management...just to make a record!). During the schnanigans, and I'm not sure why at the time, I'm totally clicking the co-producer/writer/musician on the record. We're talking deep music, audio technology, sharing studio stories (he works with a lot of artists and has a 30 year collaboration with an icon artist). finally they're sort of done with the video shoot (there's always a camera rolling, it seems) and we're actually making our way through the record and I overhear him talking with the label guy and I can swear he's telling him he races bikes. So, I stop the machine, turn around and ask him if I heard him right and he says yes. So, I show him my foot tall stack of Peloton magazine on the coffee table (which NO ONE ever looks at, but me) and everything stops. It seems he rides for one of the CRCA teams in CP. Well, after about 10 minutes the room clears out and nothing is getting done except a back and forth about riding/racing/the joy of suffering. It seems he was pissed as well for the early start because it blew his training routine as well.

This is really rare for me; I can only count a few people that I've ever heard of that make records and ride, let alone work with.

I'm not really sure how the record sounds or if the artist left happy, but my day ended well.

Top Bottom