jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Love this pic!
196E5663-6671-44CC-B43B-63808E267583.jpeg

Looking good my man.
I’m local on weekends if you want a sweep.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Found it quite ironic that I posted yesterday on exact day and 10th year of this thread and @JimN picking that up, how studious of you.

So 2 things I may do to the misfit for no other reason but to do something is a new wheelset. Well really new rims and spokes. The chris king SS hub has never been touched and almost afraid to have it taken apart, as it easily has 10k+ on it. I may hand that over to @jimvreeland for a breakdown clean. The other is just a bling factor and curiosity, some Paul long pull klampers. Why because need to matchy my Paul love levers of course :)

I wonder how long I can keep trusting my niner carbon fork for, it's taken many of miles of hard pounding in the rocks from a truck driving grizzly bear like myself. Yesterday I hit the deck at full speed and took a dirt nap about 10 minutes into my ride. Haven't had one of those in a really long time and my body is telling me I maybe getting a tad to old for those ? Every inch of me hurts, scraped all over and I landed on my head.

Taking the doxy plus the effects lymes is really unforgiving. Its pendulum pointing to where I feel great to swinging to the depths of crap.

I have basically committed to do the lucky 25 in SS fashion except to hit pay. It's almost like I am waiting for a bottom to drop out to not do this. I know if I do ride it (noticed I said ride and not race) i will hate that i paid to ride my local trails. But I also know that having these venues in our local parks helps keep them maintained and riding well. Plus paying the price of admission to hang with a good community is worth every penny.

?Keep the rubberside down?

Last edited:

jpn

Thanks for the posts! I have 11 years on my ss Karate Monkey and still love it. No plans to get anything else. Glad you're riding a lot; sad about the Lymes and being on doxycycline. I've been on it twice in last 20 years. I've been a little more reluctant to hit Stevens or Mooch this year because of the ticks. Been getting into Dickerson Mine 2-3 times a week and haven't had a tick on me from those rides yet.

Hope our paths cross one of these days out there!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This little yearling ran in front of me then climbed about 6' up, looked more curious then affraid.
Deer park.
20190612_174854.jpg

Patty tree mamma and 2 tiny Cubs at tranquility. I love getting a chance to see them. Stephen's has big old slog roaming about.

20190612_181731.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So happy seeing posts here yo.

Forgot to weigh in- I'm not particle physicist,
but yeah, swap out that fjork.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been new bar shopping, no not that bar you drunk! Sweep please and the more the betterer. Not a lot of folks making these much as I suppose they fell with the popularity of SS. Once I threw my Ragleys Carnegie bars back on I was like glory Hallelujah. Yes I am a bit odd ball but so are most SS retro grouches. Watson cycles has nice Ti set for a decent dollar. Speaking SS I just ordered a problem solvers zinger kit to single the fat bike so I can crush the tech and downhills with my trucker riding skills.

Yesterday got 9 miles at deer park with these awesome folks.
20190614_190923.jpg

Nothing beats the laughs and companionship of folks you really care about.

Today went solo out of tranquility, got 15 painful miles on. It always feels like 3 hrs of climbing with 5 minutes of downhill at this place :) hadn't climb ice cream in a really long time and I may not again until I have better fitness. 3 stops to calm the heart from blowing up lol.

20190615_150518.jpg

20190615_150449.jpg
20190615_134425.jpg

The doxy and lymes are definitely kicking my ass, just trying fight through this as this to shall pass.

Just a FYI
I have been playing with trail forks app and one of the features that I was not aware of is you can now record your rides. I have been looking for an alternative to strava. I just wanted time and distance and that's what you get. Probably other BS crap but didnt look into it and dont care. It shows your route and location, perfect. I set it up for @pedals to stop those calls I get from her of where the fuck am I :)

20190615_151214.jpg

"Big Wheels keep on Turning"

Pampa

@mattybfat Great to see you back out and in your SS! Look forward to seeing more pics and reports, although it makes me a sad knowing I not around anymore to pop in some of your rides.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mattybfat Great to see you back out and in your SS! Look forward to seeing more pics and reports, although it makes me a sad knowing I not around anymore to pop in some of your rides.
Hey segundo, read your update and really happy your family is adjusting well in your new home state and your back on the bike. Have to say I am a bit jealous of all your potential riding destinations. Keep us updated and a few pics of your adventures please.

Pampa

Hey segundo, read your update and really happy your family is adjusting well in your new home state and your back on the bike. Have to say I am a bit jealous of all your potential riding destinations. Keep us updated and a few pics of your adventures please.

Will do!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
6/22/19

Meet up with OOS Brett & Max

About 3k feet into ride I grind shin into rock
20190622_114056.jpg

No more blood given just a couple fucks.

I thought about bringing up the quest of moving Saturdays ride of Nassau to Deer Park, but left that one right here at home. As I figured trails were primed with just the usual spots. I know park well enough to navigate around.

It was cool that the boys came out for Proper DP TdeFat. We didnt get it all but promised them to keep coming back for more.
20190622_115253.jpg

Every change (SS conversion & curvy bars) worked flawless and as expected. Gearing was perfect and bar bend felt right at home.

A obligatory waiting at the top of the hill pic
20190622_095712.jpg

Thanks for keeping me company @BPaze & @Fire Marshal Max. Hit me up again when you want more.
20190622_094737.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow give more weekends like these please!

@pedals and I hit Stephen's today, funny how popular the park has become with all the cars. Reminds me of how deer park used to be. Even with that we didnt come across another rider during our time out there. I was off my skills or lack of, not making the those rocky tech burst off the far left of the park. It's always good to be out there with my lady. We met mtbing over 20yrs ago in Vermont and we are still enjoying it today.
20190623_120650.jpg

one piece crank

Matty - you inspired me to get my SS back on the road. It was semi-disassembled for 1x11 conversion, but I haven't picked the rear hub yet. I was itching to try a new bar/stem combo, so I gave in, slapped it all together and hit the road. Since last August I've only ridden my Fatboy. Returning to SS was surprisingly refreshing and certainly more of a full body workout!

Top Bottom