The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mix of local rail, double track and single track today
13 miles of sweet blue skys, thank you mother nature.
20190112_151443.jpg

20190112_141138.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Missed the local mtbnj group ride cuz my girl had high school basketball this a.m. bummer but they got last minute 3 to tie in regulation then won by one in OT.

So turned some wheels this afternoon on the frozen tundra with the pup in tow. Felt good to get some fresh air.

20190209_150711.jpg
20190209_152438.jpg
20190209_152720.jpg

Then we came upon this beast and was glad he was where he was and identifiable before the dog had a chance of being hurtin for certain. Pic not great as I couldn't get closer because of the pup.
20190209_154140.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I need to pick this place back up.

Working my way up to bringing back the death marches, no more ***** footing around. Bathroom scale says I am trending in the right direction. Once I get a triple parker or 2 under my belt, it will be open season. Most of my past characters might be hard to find but it doesn't mean new ones cant be had.
20190504_125112-ANIMATION.gif

More pics more rides, stay tuned...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20190609_202234.jpg

Still here still turning cranks

So I have been exclusively riding the old misfit SS and enjoying every minute. Been on a pretty steady routine of getting as much saddle time as I can. Not super crushing it but positioning the needle in the right direction, of course none of you would know because I have been strava free now for quite some time :)

I have been much more comfortable with an easier spinnier gear ratio then a real mash potato ratio at this moment. It also helps the confidence level too as walking too much hill would be a real negative.

I decided today that I must now be a full on retro grouch because I am riding a bike over 10 years old and do not see any reason to replace it. In fact it's my favorite trail bike ever. Sure I lust over the latest and greatest. All the latest shiny parts that move up and down with 12 and 13 clicks to get me moving slower then walking speed. But I just cant help but to have a big old shit ass grin when I just cleaned something with my old rigid SS.

I was having some wrist pain last couple rides so I swapped the 700+ straight bars with bar ends back to the big sweep Ragley bars I used to have on this. Man I asked myself why I even changed away from these bars to begin with. Must have been the wide bar trend but anyhow no wrist pain. Hand numbness has still been held at bay though I will get a small amount here and there but sugar content has increased a touch also. This has been a pretty decent exploratory experiment for me, it's either alcohol or sugar or both that caused the excruciating numbness I was having on even the smallest of rides.

So when you have a basic bike like the misfit with almost every mechanical part on it for the last 10 years working spotless still and want to give it some love where do you go?

Top Bottom