The True Cost of Racing Cyclocross - By the Numbers

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
First, this isn't a blog. I had a great idea in the shower (where all great ideas come from) and decided it would be a great way to see how truly crazy this 3 month bike racing season is. I want to do this so I can look back at it in the summer of 2015. I also think it would be interesting for people who haven't raced or are thinking about it, seeing what they are actually getting themselves into. I'm planning on racing 13 races this year, so this could get ugly fast.

So this assumes you have a bicycle you can race.

You can keep count at home if you would like, or discuss other ideas/budgeting as well. I will also try and estimate gas and travel costs. I'll be reading this off of a Google Doc (Luke why can't I imbed this shit?); Wish I could just import it here, but This will do. I will update the first post in this thread as the season goes on with the numbers, and the banter will follow every week/weekend of races.

Google Doc Link: HERE

Nittany Double Day Kickoff

Nittany Reg - $75.25
Hotel for Nittany - $106.59
Gas for Nittany - $12.40
Miles Driven for Nittany: 132 Miles

TOTAL: $194.24

and we haven't even raced yet.

Last edited:
Wait.

Reg is for you but hotel/gas is for both. Math headache.

I thought the same thing, but the annoyance of traveling back and forth Saturday was worth it in this case. To me anyway

Isn't there a toll to leave NJ? :p

I added up my reg fees and estimated travel costs at the end of the 2011? season when I did like 15 races, it was some absurd number. Did you do any MTB races that required a USAC license or did you by it just for cross like me?

One of the reasons I haven't done a single race in 2014. After spending every dime I had on a house and continuing to do so, something had to give.

Interested to see the numbers you come up with. Great idea.

One of the reasons I haven't done a single race in 2014. After spending every dime I had on a house and continuing to do so, something had to give.

Interested to see the numbers you come up with. Great idea.
I didn't do any races cause I like Air Jordans.

If its not too much of a pain in the ass you should include tolls ..... Maybe add in the cost of food unless you plan to brown bag it. I'm in on the over at 2k

Last edited:
Thankfully no Charm City this year, so you don't have to include your car insurance deductible.

$3.50 cheeseburger
$1.00 toll
Rolled a tubular today too, so I need to get that glued too.

Back
Top Bottom