The triangle signs

mitrich

I do not have time for this, but I just got in a huge argument with my hiking buddy and I want to know what you think.

The triangle signs say a biker should give way to a hiker, I say this is absolute rubbish.

He says that the signs absolutely saved off road biking.

I say that that signs should have the hiker give way to the biker, which is always what we do. It is easy for us to step off the trail for a moment or more and let the bike(s) go.

Of course, we all give way to horses.

So, what do you guys think?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
fseprd509219.png

// close thread

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't actually catch that, but, that doesn't change what I posted.
If you give cyclists the right of way instead of hikers, someone WILL get hurt.
Yes, a lot of hikers will step to the side, but we should always slow down to a safe speed, and give them the option first.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I may step clear and wave cyclists on when I'm hiking, but it's not the official rule. I also may also pull over and wave on descending cyclists when I'm climbing if it's a trail built with descending in mind. But that's my choice and not the rule.

Yielding to horses: I learned about that the hard way. I was riding in dupont next to pisgah and got yelled at by every equestrian I passed. I had no idea I was supposed to get off and walk to not spook the horses. I had very little contact with horses on the trail at that time. For a couple days I thought equestrians were the grumpiest people ever.

rick81721

Lothar
I do not have time for this, but I just got in a huge argument with my hiking buddy and I want to know what you think.

The triangle signs say a biker should give way to a hiker, I say this is absolute rubbish.

He says that the signs absolutely saved off road biking.

I say that that signs should have the hiker give way to the biker, which is always what we do. It is easy for us to step off the trail for a moment or more and let the bike(s) go.

Of course, we all give way to horses.

So, what do you guys think?

He's right but when I'm trail running and see a biker approaching, I usually jump off trail - especially at 6mr because 9 times out of 10 the yahoos there will blow you off the trail anyway

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i stopped for a person with a dog today - he stopped, held the dog close.
so i walked by, on the far side of the bike - he said he won't bite. i was more worried about hurting the dog.

the more "casual" the hiker, i think the more they pull over. kinda wanna watch the freak in lycra riding a bike with huge tires over roots and crap. entertainment.

Top Bottom