The Toughest Road Climbs in NJ

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not sure. That calls to 11-12% and those other two are close to that.
That is just outside my normal ride radius, so probably unlikely to hit. You and @Mountain Bike Mike like to say these hills aren't bad but then I look at the KOM and you guys are like way down :). I had not ridden Dutchtown Zion is Agee years and Mike told me it is steep at the top and I sorta remembered and then rode it last week and found it wasn't that steep. I guess perception changes over time.

Edit: now I know why never took interest in that road as it is an out and back. Not much for roads that go no where unless the view is worth it (like baldpate).

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
That is just outside my normal ride radius, so probably unlikely to hit. You and @Mountain Bike Mike like to say these hills aren't bad but then I look at the KOM and you guys are like way down :). I had not ridden Dutchtown Zion is Agee years and Mike told me it is steep at the top and I sorta remembered and then rode it last week and found it wasn't that steep. I guess perception changes over time.

Edit: now I know why never took interest in that road as it is an out and back. Not much for roads that go no where unless the view is worth it (like baldpate).

Pffftt I don't see you in the dutchtown-zion top 10! I don't ever expect to be in top 10 on hills, I just want to be able to climb them.

PS pretty nice view coming down starview. Don't be a wuss and try it

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Pffftt I don't see you in the dutchtown-zion top 10! I don't ever expect to be in top 10 on hills, I just want to be able to climb them.

PS pretty nice view coming down starview. Don't be a wuss and try it
11th/12th will have to do. Switch the the mtbnj group :)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah nice loop. Zellers looks pretty tough. That looks like a loop for me to try, skipping SAD IB tho

I think Lebanon felt tougher, maybe because the ride there is mostly downhill after the zellers effort. The first part is a wall though...
Pt mountain felt like child's play.

rick81721

Lothar
A little strava redemption today - took @jShort recent loop (minus SAD IB) and put together a loop on ride with gps. Thought I downloaded it onto my garmin but when I got to the parking lot in Califon to start the ride, nothing there. So plan B, had to old school it and scribble roads and turns on a gas receipt while looking at google map. Anywho, this was pretty much what I mapped out originally - climbing Middle Valley, Mt. Lebanon and Point Mountain:

https://www.strava.com/activities/338394679

Middle Valley wasn't too bad, figured I'd save MV-Zellers for another day. Mt. Lebanon, however, sucked ass. Almost threw up at the very end, that last hump really got me, but at least I made the whole thing. Point mountain after that was long but had plenty of steps to catch a break.

jackx

Mt Lebanon is the opposite of fiddlers. It starts with a wall, then eases up a little, but it keeps going and going.

Thanks. Good to know the climb profile. I haven't gone up that side of Mt. Leb road, as I sometimes ride on the part of Mt Lebanon Rd. on the other side of Pleasant Grove Rd. heading to/from the intersection with Point Mtn. Rd.

icolquhoun

When I lived in LV I rode hills....ALOT.... that whole ridge is full of some of the nastiest climbs packed into a small space in the whole state.

My list of those climbs in descending order of difficulty:
Mt Leb
Mt Top
Drakestown
Naughright
Resevoir
Schooleys to Camp Washington
Schooleys from LV
Kings Hwy
Schooleys from H-town
Middle Valley to Zellers
Forge Hill
Mt. Airy
Pt Mtn
4 Bridges
Middle Valley complete
Hickory Run
Penwell to Turkeytop
Fairview
Sliker
Hollow
Stephensburg
Hollowbrook

phillychris498

rode fiddler's for the first time this morning. I let out a welp when I saw the wall at the end.. I didn't think a grade like that was possible. I'll be back.

bigW

If there is a strong smell of bacon frying lingering around Iron Bridge it is because I went up it midday today when the temp was a bajillion degrees. Awful. That was the wrong kinda fat burning exercise.

Came away with a PR but that was likely due to my attempt to get off the hill ASAP and stop the meltdown.....

choop

Didn't see this road in the thread. How about Tumble Falls Road coming off of Rt 29. Only 1/2 mile long, but strava has it averaging 11%

Tumble Falls

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That looks to be in the firing range of @stb222

I have never heard of it
Yeah, tumble falls is good and is just outside my normal ride distance but have ridden it a handful of times. Great view to the south now that the leaves are off and is a steady grade but nothing crazy.

Top Bottom