The Road to Somewhere

xc62701

Oh and in case you were curious the Lucky on my left leg is in honor of Mike "Lucky" Lukowiak. I bought a giant sharpie and he will be with me whenever I race this season or maybe from here on. He was a great friend and I can't believe it's been 6 months since he passed. Miss him every day. I think that's partly why the wind has been taken out of my sails this season.

...And why the left leg? He always fell to the left...

xc62701

Well I got a few things done this weekend like actually getting a 3 hr ride in the rain on the Columbia trail Saturday. Today was not so much. Moms day took over and it was good spending time with the Mrs and getting some odd chores done.

We're ready for baby #2 now. I built the baby's crib today so now the little one can come. Nesting in full effect and my task list is getting done little by little. Plants picked out, pictures hung, and attic swept. You know the fun rainy day things.

On the other hand I did take out my xterra wetsuit that I bought last fall in prep for this weekend at Waway. I've been afraid with my weight going up that I wouldn't be able zip the wetsuit. Well I'm happy to teleport that thankfully it zips but I know how a sausage feels. I'm hoping to maybe she's a few lbs this week to make it a little more comfy. 6 days till I torture myself.
IMG_6266.JPG

xc62701

I just realized I should try to run. I have 6 miles to run Saturday and I haven't run that since the tri last year. Actually I may have run 2-3 times since that tri. Crap.

xc62701

Yesterday was a cheat day and it was glorious. I went to the Committed Pig in Morristown and got their Kitchen Sinker taylor ham and egg sandwich and it was amazing. It might be the best I've had in the area. Then proceeded to eat fairly well for the remaninder of the day. I'll be cutting back this week in hopes I might fit into that wet suit a little better. That and it'll help everything if I can shed a few pounds before this tri coming up.

I've been looking ahead and it says that we are expecting quite a bit of rain for Friday and Saturday. It won't really put a damper on the tri that much but it kinda has me excited to race the tri now against triathletes on MTB's in wet muddy conditions in Waway. That's the only part that sounds fun right now.

qclabrat

I just realized I should try to run. I have 6 miles to run Saturday and I haven't run that since the tri last year. Actually I may have run 2-3 times since that tri. Crap.
yeah, start running today
But don't forget the muscle memory change from bike to run transitions. I suggest you ride a hard 8-10 miles then jump right into a 5-6K jog/run. Training this way will get you up to speed the quickest. You're probably going to hurt a bit tomorrow, but you should be sorta ready by the weekend.

xc62701

Yea I think it's too late to start running. I think all I'm going to do at this point is make myself more sore for the race. I think I'm just going to do this thing off the couch. That's kinds my style for triathlon's anyway.

The weather at this point looks great. Mid-high 40's and rain for the morning. That should make the swim really enjoyable....not. I'm glad I at least have a wetsuit for this thing. Maybe I'll just stay in bed that morning.

xc62701

IMG_1131.jpeg

Took a break this week with the weather and went to my graduation. I got my Masters of Science in Educational Technology degree! Wohoo! I had a nice night with the family. Now I'm back to thinking about the bike again.

As far as the triathlon. F it. I'm in. I like stupid conditions. I need new shoes and a drivetrain anyway.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm up and trying to get out of the house for this tri. The grey rainy dreary day outside doesn't help. I'm just gonna try to get this done so I don't waste my money. I need my $90 t-shirt. I'm not enthused about swimming right now.

i'm giving you the green light to win this thing.
when you see a petite woman on a kayak or paddle board monitoring the swim, tell her I said hello.

xc62701

Update. I survived. I swam ok, biked ok until my bike was so covered in crud that wouldn't hold a gear, then ran ok until I caught my toe on a rock and did a super man dive right in the middle of the muddy trail. I'm exhausted and sore. Maybe I should have ran or swam before this. Nah, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Good job to all that persevered and completed this thing today.

I did get my shirt. Pic to follow tomorrow.
IMG_6289.JPG

Top Bottom