The Road to Somewhere

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Totally hear you Ryan. Im so far behind where im usually at this year, its been a drain on my usual motivation to race.

However, I decided several years ago...I get no pleasure out of having a nice lawn...so FUCK the lawn. That saves me countless hours of riding and family time per week. My lawn looks terrible tho. Fucks given = 0.

And I hope your mom is feeling better!

pxs231

This all hits pretty close to home. We sold our house last year and are living in a rental this year to have access to better public schools for our 5 year old. In some ways the rental has been a blessing. It’s just big enough to barely fit what we need, but I don’t have to worry or dream about all the ways I can blow a ton of time and cash on my house. I’m not sure if I’m going to buy again.....
It’s ok for things to change. At the end of the day the only one who really gives a crap about your race results is you, and you can just choose to not care. We have the luxury to have hobbies, we don’t have to set the bar so high as to make them into chores. These times with the young ones are great. Hang out and spend time with them while they still think you are the most awesome human in the world.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Yea life just gets in the way. I have an appointment after work so that kills today and I have this deck and yardwork thing hanging over my head if I do get free time. Tuesday looks ok at this point but I still need time to get my deck done. Wednesday I go to see my mom in her rehab center so that kills that day. I may ride to work Thursday or Friday to help get some actual pedal time in but it's nothing like in the past when I could do 90-2 hours of riding every day after work. I'm lucky I can ride as much as I do on the weekends. That's usually only because I have to get up at the ass crack of dawn and ride before the family wakes up. That's the usual deal.
I do the same. Weekends are bright and early. My wife and boys nap when I am home from work so I squeeze those rides in as soon as I get home but not always optimal.

xc62701

Yea I wanted to get a ride or a run or something in yesterday and it just didn't happen. I went from staying late at work to an appt with my landscaper, to pick up the little one, play with her cook dinner, put her to bed, then some chores and when I had a chance to breathe it was 9:45. I wasn't going to do anything at that point. So I watched some TV and went to bed. Then of course at 2:30 my daughter wakes up and starts screaming and won't go back to sleep. I pick her up and console her but she won't let me put her down without a total fit. I bring her to bed so she can sleep next to me and she tosses and turns and kicks me in the face the rest of the night.

And that's where I am now. Exhausted. I want to go home and work on my deck, then maybe I can get out and ride tonight. We'll have to see if I can stay motivated enough to get out or not. I'm fighting the lack of sleep now and it'll probably get worse later. Did I mention the busier I get and more stressed out, the more I crave crap food. It's a vicious cycle. I'm trying to resist but it's winning so far. I don't want to go near the scale if I don't have to. I just may break it on purpose.

xc62701

This all hits pretty close to home. We sold our house last year and are living in a rental this year to have access to better public schools for our 5 year old. In some ways the rental has been a blessing. It’s just big enough to barely fit what we need, but I don’t have to worry or dream about all the ways I can blow a ton of time and cash on my house. I’m not sure if I’m going to buy again.....
It’s ok for things to change. At the end of the day the only one who really gives a crap about your race results is you, and you can just choose to not care. We have the luxury to have hobbies, we don’t have to set the bar so high as to make them into chores. These times with the young ones are great. Hang out and spend time with them while they still think you are the most awesome human in the world.

I agree - but caring about results for so long and changing to not being as fit as I once was and being ok with saying fuck it sometimes is a hard pill to swallow. I'm getting there and will probably be happier in the long run as that's just the way that life needs to be right now.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
totally remember the flailing kid days. The floor is your friend!
Hang in there, and caffeinate!
it's like training for a 24hr race - need to work the sleep deprivation part too!

xc62701

Man it sounds like you're living the fuck out of life right now... and the problems you mentioned are good ones... I think...

Yes? Maybe? Life is full for sure. I guess in the big picture I shouldn't be whining because I have an awesome daughter and one more on the way and it will be great to have the family my wife and I have always wanted. On the flip side if my riding slows down and the family is good I really shouldn't complain. There's much worse situations to have to deal with than this.

xc62701

totally remember the flailing kid days. The floor is your friend!
Hang in there, and caffeinate!
it's like training for a 24hr race - need to work the sleep deprivation part too!

I don't like coffee and I'm cutting out soda. I'm pretty much screwed.

xc62701

After my sleep deprived night I found time and energy - somehow - to ride! My free time after work yesterday I spent on some deck tweaks and then took care of family details and then got on the bike at 8:30-10ish. I do like the night rides but it's better to have company. It was just me and the critters last night but it felt good to get out and ride.

I'm going to make an attempt this week to focus on my diet and shed some pounds before the Waway Tri. That's pending any other issues that pop up. Hopefully I can find some motivation and maybe stick with it this time.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don't like coffee and I'm cutting out soda. I'm pretty much screwed.

Maybe @Norm can make a tea recommendation? The isagenix e+ stuff works, but $$$.
i miss that crap they used to sell to lose weight - the one that the kids took, and ended up with heat stroke. ephedra/ephedrine based (??)
stuff was awesome. stimulant, increased concentration.

xc62701

Maybe @Norm can make a tea recommendation? The isagenix e+ stuff works, but $$$.
i miss that crap they used to sell to lose weight - the one that the kids took, and ended up with heat stroke. ephedra/ephedrine based (??)
stuff was awesome. stimulant, increased concentration.

That hydroxycut crap? No thanks. I really don't need the extra caffeine anyway. I don't really feel the effects of it. If my diet is good and life isn't giving me a crap sandwich I'm just fine.

Kaleidopete

After my sleep deprived night I found time and energy - somehow - to ride! My free time after work yesterday I spent on some deck tweaks and then took care of family details and then got on the bike at 8:30-10ish. I do like the night rides but it's better to have company. It was just me and the critters last night but it felt good to get out and ride.

I'm going to make an attempt this week to focus on my diet and shed some pounds before the Waway Tri. That's pending any other issues that pop up. Hopefully I can find some motivation and maybe stick with it this time.
As far as the Tri.....I remember some had a tight suit to stay warm in the cold water. just sayin'

xc62701

No ride last night as by the time I actually got done with chores and stuff at home it was 9:15 and I was exhausted. I went to see my mom after work and almost fell asleep driving there so I know I was beat. The last few days are catching up with me but by 9:45 I was in bed. I got some decent rest and feel better so far today. The goal is to ride tonight. I'm looking to take out the cx bike and go do some patriots path wandering since it may be wet and I don't want to wreck anything or ride with the loonies at night on the road.

On a better note I'm back to having some will power for the time being. Today is day 2 of not eating like a 10 year old. For the moment I don't have any big stressors so it may stick for the next few days. I'm hoping so anyway. I just want to feel better and shed some weight and hopefully make my back feel better too. It's been really cranky the past few weeks and getting lighter usually helps. I have stepped on the scale - against better judgement - and didn't want to jump out the window. So that's a good thing. I'm not reporting anything yet but I'll give it some time and see how this diet will effect me.

Here's a pic from last weekend's Iron Furnace collapse. I forgot to post this. Thanks @Kaleidopete!
IMG_6256.JPG

xc62701

I tried to get out last night and as I was getting ready I see the storm clouds roll in. I knew it wasn't going to work. We got some nice wind and rain that was great for my new plantings but not for the cycling soul. I begrudgingly got on the trainer. That's once I recovered my password and actually logged into zwift. I spun for 30 mins and got my heart rate up a bit but wasn't feeling it. I really just wanted a little effort to help with the weight loss and spin the legs out a bit before I get out tonight. I'm strapping on the lights tonight to go play in the dirt with some of my teammates and reward ourselves with beer and pizza. I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize though and not eat a full pizza myself. It'll be tempting but willpower has been good lately. We will see how that plan goes. Especially since I'm riding in the rain early Saturday morning.

On the mom note things are getting better there. She's been down and recovering since being sick and injured since Easter. She's finally gaining enough strength to the point where she is able to get clearance to have her hip replacement surgery done. I've got to work out the details of taking her to the doctor but at least she is able to go for clearances at this point. A month ago I wasn't sure we'd ever get to this point. I need to get her cleared and then she gets put on the schedule for surgery in mid to late June at best. Once she gets the replacement she will be in rehab for a week or so until she is ok to go home and be independent. She's a strong woman and lives alone so she needs to be able to take care of herself. Once she gets home it will make my life MUCH less complicated. I've been exhausting myself with connecting the dots behind the scenes and we are finally starting to see an end to this ordeal.

Top Bottom