The Road to Somewhere

I'm planning to bring the fatty.

I don't think it'll hurt the other categories at all. However, I suspect anyone interested in this option won't have a license though, so they'll need to pay for a one day license, which they may be reluctant to do. Maybe if it's a loop in the BSA on our short track trails and stuff that they can't normally ride? You'll also probably need to pay for insurance on those riders, so you'd have to charge a little or eat that cost. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you'll have a good turnout, and this is only year one anyway.

Yea the thought is that they would have to pay for one day like you said. But at worst $10 for a race is pretty sweet. Especially for a first timer. We did have a sponsor last year subsidize the one day licenses for cross. Maybe that can happen again for this race.

But at worst $10 for a race is pretty sweet.

True, but I find people just have an aversion to paying money to ride trails they can ride for free. I know a bunch of people that don't go to Cranks Around the Campfire for that reason. People are dumb.

I would say pass on the free entries. I think it waters down your intent and in the long run will only add more gray area(s).

The prerace email came out saying not to expect mountain biking trails but true backcountry hiking trails. So with this I'm picturing stream crossings, overgrown prickers everywhere, and lots of mud and rocks.
I should probably stay home.

I'm liking the idea of having common podium times and keeping the event more of a festival. With that said and from some of the messages I've read, I'm thinking over timing the endurance race to finish "about" the same time. It would mean moving the starts of the 25 and 15 mile races later in the day so most could finish around the same time. It would make for more of a fun atmosphere, but also more people on the trails at the same time. It's an interesting thought, and I want to make a change soon if it's going to happen. The other concern is that I know a lot of people with families like me want to do an event early and get home. This would not help those. I wonder how many that would turn away. Just thoughts for now.

On the riding side of things I hit the road Wednesday and hit some trails last night and was feeling pretty good. The previous Wednesday I did a semi hard ride and was crushed on Thursday. This week I feel much better, even with 2 beers close to midnight last night. So hopefully I'm on the upswing from feeling crappy last week and I can keep building fitness. I have Keystone Sunday which is going to be a crapshoot but at least I talked the wife into letting me drive out Saturday night instead of a heinous 3 hour drive Sunday morning before the race. That will make the event SO much more enjoyable.

I'm liking the idea of having common podium times and keeping the event more of a festival. With that said and from some of the messages I've read, I'm thinking over timing the endurance race to finish "about" the same time. It would mean moving the starts of the 25 and 15 mile races later in the day so most could finish around the same time. It would make for more of a fun atmosphere, but also more people on the trails at the same time. It's an interesting thought, and I want to make a change soon if it's going to happen. The other concern is that I know a lot of people with families like me want to do an event early and get home. This would not help those. I wonder how many that would turn away. Just thoughts for now.

On the riding side of things I hit the road Wednesday and hit some trails last night and was feeling pretty good. The previous Wednesday I did a semi hard ride and was crushed on Thursday. This week I feel much better, even with 2 beers close to midnight last night. So hopefully I'm on the upswing from feeling crappy last week and I can keep building fitness. I have Keystone Sunday which is going to be a crapshoot but at least I talked the wife into letting me drive out Saturday night instead of a heinous 3 hour drive Sunday morning before the race. That will make the event SO much more enjoyable.
This is just an opinion, but if there was something to do for my five year old like a kid race or something I wouldn’t be jumping in the car and running home right after I finish my race. I think there is some untapped potential there. My son still talks about Kristine’s Bloomfield bike fest from a couple of years ago.

Warning: Lots of words below. Or as @JimN would say tl;dr. See I"m learning...

Today was the Keystone Off-Road race. I have been feeling better since being sick, and was hoping to give this a good go to see how the legs and body would respond. I did a nice chill 90 minutes on my mtb yesterday to prep for today and the legs felt ok but not great. Sometimes that is good sometimes not. I drove out last night and got to the hotel around 10:30 and was in bed by 12:30 after watching the final stage of the TOC. That was entertaining but it was time for bed. Up at 6 with a sweet Red Roof Inn continental breakfast was perfect...really. A waffle and some oatmeal and I was ready to go. We lined up and I put myself in the back as I was not racing this event. I really just wanted a hard day in the saddle. The map looked pretty benign as most of the roads looked to be gravel/fireroads and very little singletrack. It was advertised as 55 miles with 7000 vert. So it would be a good hard day in the saddle.

The promoter yells go and we're off. I hit the first climb and felt ok but nothing snappy. We climbed to the top of a ridge to get to some great bumpy singletrack with some new switchbacks thrown in and I was psyched. This seemed like a good day of riding at this point. We kept on and then hit a fun gravel 40+ mph descent that was fun but it would have been better to lose that vert with singletrack. Anyway I make my way to the first aid station at mile 15 in 1:30 or so and pass by not grabbing anything. Next up was a greasy muddy singletrack that was elevated above a cinder railbed. I was in a line of 4 or 5 guys and cruising along this until we saw an arrow dropping us down to the rail trail. We hung a left and soon found ourselves almost back at the aid station. Crap. We f'd up somewhere. They gave us a printed map so we took that out and realized we missed a huge section and went about 4 miles out of our way. Oh well, here we go.

We backtracked to where we made the wrong turn - poor course marking - and then kept going on a RELENTLESS climb. I cracked 4 or 5 times. When I realized the guys behind me were gaining on me while walking and I was riding I popped off to get up the last rise and hopefully onto something flat or down. It did turn to gravel soon and that was welcomed. I felt a bit better to have that 5 mile climb behind us and onto the next battle. The gravel led to a sketchy descent. Steep, loose, technical, covered with leaves, and endless endo possibilities. I was happy to have made it down this but part way through I REALLY backed off as my brakes sounded horrible. I thought I fried my pads and was just grinding on my rotors. I kept it easy to save my ass and went conservative as I saw a lot of guys on the side of the trail trying to get their bearings or picking themselves off the trail. Again another spot that sweet singletrack could have been used instead of a drainage ditch. At the bottom I linked up to where I made the wrong turn earlier and headed back to the aid station at mile 35.

At this point I was really hurting and didn't want to go up any more. I knew there were two more stout climbs to come. I didn't know if I should keep going. I took some time at the aid station as I was cramping like crazy in my quads and hams. I got them to release but it was touch and go for a few minutes. I headed off from the aid station and sure enough we were going up again. Steeply at first to cut though a DOT yard to get to a paved climb. I climbed up to where we would turn back onto trail and I stopped to see what was going on with my bike. It was making some weird sounds. Either the rear thruaxle was loose or someone hooked a windchime up to my bike when I wasn't looking. It wasn't my thruaxle but my rotor was completely loose. Somehow the lockring loosened and fell off onto the axle making the noise. I fixed it and sat down for a minute and just enjoyed not riding. I got out my map and looked at what was to come and assessed my physical condition. I was hurting. I felt bad. I didn't know if I could or would want to continue. I was so hot, dehydrated, and just generally feeling crappy.

All I wanted at the last aid station was cold water and what they had was warm/hot-ish water that had been sitting in the sun all day. I didn't even want to touch it. I struggled to get something down but I felt awful. I didn't know if I wanted to poop or throw up or both. I was getting dizzy with any effort and knew that what was to come would be hard. I said f it and kept pedaling anyway. I passed through a river crossing thinking this may not be that bad and it kept getting steeper. I was shot. If the grade was less I would have been ok but I was not having any fun. I saw down and looked at the map again and said nope. The only thing I kept thinking is that the Mohican 100 is 2 weeks away and I could finish this with a lot of walking and then destroy my enjoyment at Mohican and probably sell all of my bikes. Since resale sucks, I chose to pack it up and call it a day.

I turned around and headed down the road back to the aid station. The only problem being that the start area was 10 miles from the aid station. I rolled in to see MANY people saying they were done. I found a nice group of locals to keep me company on my ride back. We hit the rail trail and actually enjoyed the 10 miles back to the start finish. I may not have finished the race but I"m very happy with my choice as odd as that sounds. I know I'm not in top shape and I recognized that and actually made a smart decision. I feel like I matured as a bike racer and knew that I wouldn't gain anything else from this besides prolonged fatigue and a bad taste in my mouth. I got a nice long day in. I finished with 50 miles and 5200' of vert in 5:15. A long hard day in the saddle was accomplished after all. It may have not been what the racer director had in mind but it made total sense in my mind.

Sounds like you are at peace with your choices on the day. That’s all that really matters.

Sounds like you are at peace with your choices on the day. That’s all that really matters.

Yes and I feel much better this morning physically. If I kept going I would be in rough shape. I actually was able to get out of bed and not hobble around this morning getting ready. That's a win right there.

I didn't know if I wanted to poop or throw up or both.

When I came through the aid station the second time, the dude was like, "do you want bacon?" I was thinking that might be the worst idea in the world, but I obviously said yes. Then he said, "I also have hot dogs cooked in bacon grease."

Forcing myself to only eat one bacon grease hot dog and head back out was a very difficult decision. If I knew what was coming, I probably would have eaten five more hot dogs and just chilled at the aid station.

The Mohican 100 was this past Saturday. This is a race I always look forward to as the trails are amazing and I love the area. It's always a pleasure to get out to central Ohio and just have a blast. This year though was quite a bit different. With a new focus and less fitness I went into this event heavier that ever before. I'm sitting at 25 pounds over my typical race weight and it's not beneficial for an event with over 11,000 ft of climbing. I'm still having fun riding my bike but it's becoming less and less of a focus and family time has more of an importance. It's a choice I've gladly made and it's hard to race as it is with anchor holding me down. Honestly I thought long and hard about this event and was ready to pull the plug. I don't enjoy racing these long races when I'm not in shape. I needed a break from the daily routing so I said F it and went out anyway. I had the option to do the 100k as well but I couldn't do that. It was either all or nothing. The worst part was being back at this race without my long time travel buddy Lucky. We've come out so many times to do this race together that it was very emotional to be there without him. I knew that I would need him there with me to help me get through this one and he was. So how bad could it be?
It was hard. When I'm in shape I consider myself a pretty consistent 8 hour finisher. With my current fitness, I was hoping for a 9 but probably 10's or worse. This is if I was feeling good too. So we hit the start and the first 30 miles of singletrack go by pretty painlessly. And by that I mean I didn't try to race it like I usually do. That means xc pace for 2+ hours and then settle in. I didn't fight for position but just rode with the group. Waiting being patient and just enjoying the ride. It was like a group ride with 700 of your friends. So we were moving along but it wasn't xc pace for sure. We just kept on enjoying the beautiful Mohican Wilderness and these amazing trails.

After the first 30 miles I had nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. I was debating calling it quits. I wasn't having fun. I wondered why I was so far away from my family. I wondered how much I could get for my bike collection. I was done with everything. At this point I was on roads and I could barely pedal. Of course the majority of them were up and I was just suffering. The course would go from gravel roads to singletrack and back over the next 35 miles. I convinced myself that I had so much invested in this that there was no way I was going to bail. I had Lucky in my head telling me to suck it up and I kept on pushing forward. I walked when I needed as I was fighting cramps and a bad stomach all at once. The cramps would come and go just like the stomach but I pushed on. I hit the 12 miles of rail trail and just limped along. I would get a bit of juice and then nothing...crawling again. I hit the 4th aid station at mile 72 and was feeling terrible but happy I was that far in. I've got this I thought. I rode out of the aid with another guy and we chatted for the next 15 miles or so as we were both suffering. This helped me take my mind off the pain.

The last couple of climbs are steep and I knew I'd be walking them for sure. The juice just wasn't there. But to my surprise I didn't walk them. My gearing probably saved me there but I rode the majority of the remainder of the course. I got to aid station 5 and passed by knowing I was almost done. I was so energized by the torture being over that I actually passed another racer and kept on the gas. I actually rode the remaining 5 miles pretty well. Of course Lucky was cheering me on from above and got one good shot in. I went to take the very last turn in the singletrack and caught a loose rock and went down hard. I heard Lucky laughing in my head. Actually I think he pushed me over - as we used to do so often. I knew once I made that singletrack turn that I could crawl to the end. I didn't need to as I rode through more cramps to the end. I was so relieved to have crossed the finish line. It took forever - 10:14 was my finishing time. I didn't care what the number said. I was just happy to be done. It was the 2nd slowest I have ever done the race. In 2008 it took me 10:24. That's crazy I started doing this race 11 years ago! Holy shit time flies.

Anyway that's the end of my saga. Will I do another one? Maybe... I know there were more than a few things going against me, but I found a way to get through it and get to the end. I learned a lot about how far I can push myself and how much better it feels to be in shape for these things. I used to take it for granted to be able to ride these races and now it's definitely more of a struggle. The best part was going home and spending the afternoon with my family playing in the backyard. I'm still a bike racer at heart just a little less focused these days.
17352C58-217D-473D-AF48-E0FACD30567C.jpeg
38E9F156-E2BE-4AEB-80E6-A5681E597521.jpeg
1820FDD8-7952-4230-AB94-988C1510775D.jpeg
B19C1078-93B6-489A-9F6D-DCE9D3410DA1.jpeg
1095A723-4151-42EF-8A45-B28CEFF0DF87.jpeg
EBA1B0ED-234A-4F69-AC92-B916EDA432D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom