The Road to Somewhere

xc62701

July total after day 16:
26:44 hours and 323.0 miles

Yesterday was the Bulldog Rump and I was feeling ok and I hoped I could actually put together a decent showing after the shitshow I put on at LM. I felt awful that day and spent the last 3 weeks prepping to not feel that way again. The rain was a bonus as I like the slippery conditions. It wouldn’t make the race any easier but it would be more fun.

When the horn went off my buddy pulled hard at the front and I tried to catch his wheel but I couldn’t. He gapped me into the first trail but the bobbled and I got past. The strategy was to get in front early and it worked. I tried to hammer each climb and pedal hard on each flattish section. As long as I went hard and made smooth passes I figured I could stay ahead. I did just that and rode pretty smoothly. As I was finishing the first lap I of course got stung by a bee right before the timing mats and that kept my motivation high to keep going fast.

I kept the same thought on lap 2 to mash the climbs and pedal hard and steady throughout and it worked. Once I got the lead I never looked back. I even got a negative split on my second lap. I feel like I could have gotten a good 3rd lap in as well. Maybe not as fast but still competitive. So it was a good day.

All in all still have a bunch of weight I want to lose but the legs are going pretty good at the moment. I need to keep this positive trend going to hopefully keep the fitness increasing as we get closer to CX time. I actually feel like yesterday’s race was a good CX effort. It was just over an hour of good hard efforts and that felt alright. At least for the time being I feel like I redeemed my crappy LM race.

Next up is to finish off the H2H season at Port Jervis.

D66F9803-74AA-4D2E-86DC-5DF83CAB5428.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So you crushed the field - Drama not needed?

well done.

xc62701

So you crushed the field - Drama not needed?

well done.

I just rode hard and was smooth in the slick bumpy stuff. I was very happy to finish with a 4+ minute gap. I don’t know if that’s the definition of crushing a race but I felt good.

I’m hoping to increase my fitness and drop some more weight for Port Jervis and give it hell again!

xc62701

July total after day 19:

31:35 hours 395.3 miles

Legs feel good and the scale is starting to move in the right direction. I’m headed up to Windham this weekend for some riding and some relaxing. I’ll be riding Round Top on the way up and Elm Ridge later on. I’ll be checking out some of the roads up there as well. I checked my log and I’ve ridden all the days in July so far plus the last 3 days in June so it’s really my 22nd day of riding in a row. So far so good. Port Jervis will be here soon.

xc62701

July total after day 23:
40:52 hours and 492.1 miles

Legs feel like crap after lots of miles and hills this weekend. A few easy days should help regain some juice and come back stronger rolling into August. 20 days til Port Jervis and 2 months and 6 days til LCCX!

xc62701

July total after day 28:

50:20 hours and 633 miles

Legs are still going and I’m heading to cape may for vacation starting tomorrow so it’ll be flats and wind for the next few days but I’ll be rounding out this 31/31 challenge nicely. It’s been 31 consecutive days at the moment and I’m thinking of going for 50 straight just for the hell of it. Why not?
37B79EE1-862E-4E9D-9C0F-F416F94FD6A4.jpeg
B70D1132-97B5-4597-B2C3-386D2647F453.jpeg
5C3FC233-5A65-49D1-A9C5-0E7AEBFAC79A.jpeg
82156D5E-43FE-4003-ABA0-0A99726E9EEF.jpeg

xc62701

Ok so it’s been almost 2 weeks since an update. Since the 31 day challenge I’m still goin and on day 46 of riding consecutively. It’s been great but I was wondering if it would hurt me for yesterday’s H2H race at Port Jervis.

As I jumped on the bike and started to roll around my legs didn’t seem too fresh. I was getting anxious that I wouldn’t have much juice off the line and who knows for the rest of the race. As it turns out it wasn’t going to make that much of a difference as it was only me and Ara in the race so it was either a first or second place - and I wasn’t settling for second.

So as the gun went off I hit it pretty good and just wanted to stay in the lead until the downhill. I know I can go fast on that and I did. I ripped the downhill and hit the climb immediately after and on the first switchback I looked back to see if I had a gap and I did. It was probably a 20 second gap already. I put my head down and pedaled hard for the rest of lap 1 and never saw Ara again. I had one short lap to go and then the race was over. I kept on it but this time holding back a bit to make sure I wasn’t dumb and slice a tire being foolish. It worked and my tires held up.

I finished almost 6 minutes ahead of second place and had a blast out there. It was also enough to lock in the overall Fatbike series win and the state championship! With my Ricky start to the season and having my second child I thought my race season might have ended in early May. I’m glad to have raced as often as I did and got some fitness back. Now the goal is to drop some weight and try and gain some more fitness for cross.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so it’s been almost 2 weeks since an update. Since the 31 day challenge I’m still goin and on day 46 of riding consecutively. It’s been great but I was wondering if it would hurt me for yesterday’s H2H race at Port Jervis.

As I jumped on the bike and started to roll around my legs didn’t seem too fresh. I was getting anxious that I wouldn’t have much juice off the line and who knows for the rest of the race. As it turns out it wasn’t going to make that much of a difference as it was only me and Ara in the race so it was either a first or second place - and I wasn’t settling for second.

So as the gun went off I hit it pretty good and just wanted to stay in the lead until the downhill. I know I can go fast on that and I did. I ripped the downhill and hit the climb immediately after and on the first switchback I looked back to see if I had a gap and I did. It was probably a 20 second gap already. I put my head down and pedaled hard for the rest of lap 1 and never saw Ara again. I had one short lap to go and then the race was over. I kept on it but this time holding back a bit to make sure I wasn’t dumb and slice a tire being foolish. It worked and my tires held up.

I finished almost 6 minutes ahead of second place and had a blast out there. It was also enough to lock in the overall Fatbike series win and the state championship! With my Ricky start to the season and having my second child I thought my race season might have ended in early May. I’m glad to have raced as often as I did and got some fitness back. Now the goal is to drop some weight and try and gain some more fitness for cross.
Killer season Ryan!

xc62701

Killer season Ryan!

Thanks man! It's been a lot of fun. You've been racing your butt off as well. You seem to be everywhere!

I'd still like to sneak and endurance event in just to punish myself more. Maybe I can work the Erie 80 or Iron cross in just for good measure.

xc62701

I’m living the dream. For the last few weeks my toddler has been screaming and sobbing in the middle of the night. I can’t figure out if she’s in pain or if she’s having nightmares or what. It doesn’t seem like pain as she would usually tell me or have other signs. Tonight it was 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30. I gave up trying to sleep as she seems to have settled down after the last screaming session and now I can’t go to sleep.

So I decided to tear my drivetrain apart and fix a flat tire I got today. This drivetrain has been super funked up as its my workhorse ride. Super dependable and a comfy ride. I decreased the chain and cassette as well as took apart the chainrings to really clean it up. At least I’m being productive I guess. I’m gonna crash hard later... By the way for those in the market for a road/CX bike this one will be on the market shortly.
05FD6D51-F76C-4D8F-9CF9-306572E2C95C.jpeg
ECA224C5-CDB0-4521-9AE9-7803E079A508.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sorry to hear your daughter has trouble sleeping. So hard when they are young, and can't always communicate what is wrong/going on.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’m living the dream. For the last few weeks my toddler has been screaming and sobbing in the middle of the night. I can’t figure out if she’s in pain or if she’s having nightmares or what. It doesn’t seem like pain as she would usually tell me or have other signs. Tonight it was 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30. I gave up trying to sleep as she seems to have settled down after the last screaming session and now I can’t go to sleep.

So I decided to tear my drivetrain apart and fix a flat tire I got today. This drivetrain has been super funked up as its my workhorse ride. Super dependable and a comfy ride. I decreased the chain and cassette as well as took apart the chainrings to really clean it up. At least I’m being productive I guess. I’m gonna crash hard later... By the way for those in the market for a road/CX bike this one will be on the market shortly. View attachment 75754View attachment 75755
My 5 yo is having random dreams but very short lived. The 3yo and 3 month old sleep like rocks.

Top Bottom