The Queen got a neo-classic Convertible

JerseyPete

I’ve always loved the look of a TR6 View attachment 96666
Always loved the looks of Triumph, but hated the rear end. Came close many times to buying TR4/TR250 and once a GT6+. Never a Spitfire, my brother had those and I worked on them as well.
@Patrick would she consider a convertible Porsche 944 or 968, or not classic enough?
Are we talking clam shell fenders like MG T series or envelope body like MG A through C and Midget?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Always loved the looks of Triumph, but hated the rear end. Came close many times to buying TR4/TR250 and once a GT6+. Never a Spitfire, my brother had those and I worked on them as well.
@Patrick would she consider a convertible Porsche 944 or 968, or not classic enough?
Are we talking clam shell fenders like MG T series or envelope body like MG A through C and Midget?

My dad bought a TR3a when he got out of the Air Force. A 1957 cost him about $2700 new and his whole hood (the Bronx) thought he was nuts. Mom made him replace it when she was pregnant with me because she couldn't get in or out of it. I gave him shit about that through out the years as value went up.

Looked just like this:

triumph-tr3a-1958-blue-20170504-(9).jpg

JerseyPete

My dad bought a TR3a when he got out of the Air Force. A 1957 cost him about $2700 new and his whole hood (the Bronx) thought he was nuts. Mom made him replace it when she was pregnant with me because she couldn't get in or out of it. I gave him shit about that through out the years as value went up.

Looked just like this:

View attachment 96682
I always looked at the pre 1962 Triumph TR2-3 as a scaled back Jaguar XK series.
I hate looking back at what I have gotten rid of and passed on.

JerseyPete

Hurry. I forgot they made them this new (ish). Pricey but kinda seems worth it if legit.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/andover-1980-mgb-roadster/6903154569.html

I would pass. Rubber bumbers are not just a matter of safety and emission issues. The steering shaft goes through a suspension point due to the height increase, the cat is right under the carb (single Stromberg) and usually dries out the fuel line as well.
With MGB's, I would say 1972 or earlier. The 73 and 74 had some emission stuff, but not bad.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I always looked at the pre 1962 Triumph TR2-3 as a scaled back Jaguar XK series.
I hate looking back at what I have gotten rid of and passed on.

Yea. Replaced Triumph with a Peugeot 404 which Mom totalled. Shortly thereafter he got a 67 or 68 GTO which he probably sold for nothing too. Who new?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

she likes the brit front end look of the MGB/FIat 124, and wouldn't go for the funk of the 968 cabriolet - although they do have that unique tip-up lights..

i tried to get her to go for a brand new 124, but she didn't bite.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
she likes the brit front end look of the MGB/FIat 124, and wouldn't go for the funk of the 968 cabriolet - although they do have that unique tip-up lights..

Miata is better imho.

How about an olds 98 convertible? too parade-ish?

Patrick

Staff member
I would pass. Rubber bumbers are not just a matter of safety and emission issues. The steering shaft goes through a suspension point due to the height increase, the cat is right under the carb (single Stromberg) and usually dries out the fuel line as well.
With MGB's, I would say 1972 or earlier. The 73 and 74 had some emission stuff, but not bad.

i'm not sure the rubber bumpers are any worse than the engine ending up in the passenger compartment on most of these 50/60s mini euro boxes.
unless it is rear engine!

i didn't know about the steering - that is a weird one. engineering at its best. good news about the cat, car is exempt from inspection. even without QQ plates.

Patrick

Staff member
That is an interesting question, seeing as in their latest iteration they are the same car.

When it comes to the old ones, with great appreciation for the Miatas, I am biased toward the old FIAT rust bucket!

Speaking of classics, what about...
View attachment 96711
View attachment 96712

all things Lancia are probably too much $$$ - She would think that is too masculine also. which is why no MB SL.

JerseyPete

If I had to choose between Fiat and MG, I would go with Fiat. I've owned both and there were many advantages to the Fiat. Oddly enough the Fiats had more electrical issues than the MGs.

If you sold the Metro you would only be a few grand short for the Fiat in this scenario:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-chevrolet-its-actually-a-geo-metro-lsi/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-fiat-spider-2000-15/

I don't know @Monkey Soup but I am surprised he hasn't chimed in. I think he is well versed in cars of the type you are looking at.

Patrick

Staff member

that would be fun. very different.

price is right, although i wonder what he thinks is under the paint bubbles?

--

She fancied this - might have to jump in the plane and go visit...

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/mg/mgb/1972-mgb-b-roadster/7084180

1559608458006.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom