The only original MTBNJ Woodworking thread!!!!!

That was the first thing I noticed. Would drive me nuts. For all that don't know there is an allen head adjustment screw on the bottom of the hinge side to raise/lower the door.
We've got some crooked ass floors. Adjustment is maxed out. There was a shim under one of the wheels that mostly leveled it out, but it was knocked out of place when I pulled out the fridge. No reason to fix it if this is being replaced.

No. There just really was barely any glue used to assemble it. Surprised it lasted 25 years.
You shouldn't see much glue if the joints are tight. But there's such a thing as too tight where the joint is starved of glue. Also, the tall bottom rail on these types of doors are not glued for the entire length of the joint because there's too much seasonal movement in a 10" wide board. Most of the glue is near the bottom, which is why you void the warranty if you trim the bottom by more than 1/2".

I'd be surprised if the repair holds for long, because the new glue isn't going to stick well to the old glue.

You shouldn't see much glue if the joints are tight. But there's such a thing as too tight where the joint is starved of glue. Also, the tall bottom rail on these types of doors are not glued for the entire length of the joint because there's too much seasonal movement in a 10" wide board. Most of the glue is near the bottom, which is why you void the warranty if you trim the bottom by more than 1/2".

I'd be surprised if the repair holds for long, because the new glue isn't going to stick well to the old glue.

5" headless screws?

I did try to remove as much of the old glue as possible. Looked good to the naked eye but only time will tell.

What concerns me more is that all the doors inside the house were purchased at the same time from Builders General. Hopefully this is not the first of many.

I did try to remove as much of the old glue as possible. Looked good to the naked eye but only time will tell.

What concerns me more is that all the doors inside the house were purchased at the same time from Builders General. Hopefully this is not the first of many.
Any way to tell how much was trimmed off the bottom? Compare to the other doors for starters. Pretty rare for this to happen in my experience, but I did have a 16' wood garage door fail at the glue joints. It had many, many finger joints and virtually all of them were coming apart.

Back
Top Bottom