the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.
I personally wouldn't do carbon with low pressure tires like plus and fat. My experience with carbon fat is they will never hold up to Rocks in this area.

Grab some wtb scrapers or stand Hugo's or any light weight aluminum rims.

That's my only concern - durability. Already have WTB Scraper rims, option B would just be 2.8" lighter tires

I would do carbon. In my experience lightweight aluminum is more of a headache than carbon. When you run low PSI a lightweight aluminum rim will dent and unseat the tire. (anyone remember my HED ordeal?) Also, the Stan's HUGO is the worst rim ever made on the history of the earth. You'll break it just seating the tire. I have a set in the shop if you want to see for yourself, you can bend the rims just from pushing them with your thumb.

I personally wouldn't do carbon with low pressure tires like plus and fat. My experience with carbon fat is they will never hold up to Rocks in this area.

Grab some wtb scrapers or stand Hugo's or any light weight aluminum rims.

I have be hammering my carbon wheels for over 2000 mile this year. They just laugh at rock strikes. They are in perfect shape. My friend with the same bike with aluminum rims are dented , break spokes and got out of true. I have seen alot of 40 mm internal width aluminum rim with dents.

BTW, My buddy is rolling on carbon now, Enve M60 Plus/ Chris King, he's a happy camper.

Last edited:
Carbon rims for you is like a Ferrari for a teenager.

Probably not worth the extra $$ for the increased possibility of failures.

Haha thanks for your concern about how I spend $ but I'd take your opinion seriously if we were talking road bikes. Re:mountain bikes I'll listen to people who actually ride tbem!

Haha thanks for your concern about how I spend $ but I'd take your opinion seriously if we were talking road bikes. Re:mountain bikes I'll listen to people who actually ride tbem!
Awwwwww shit son!! It's on!!

@stb222 vs @rick81721

south-park-s08e05c04-its-on-16x9.jpg

I take back my comment, as slow as you ride, you couldn't possibly damage a rim, even if the tire was flat.

The best part is that I probably have triple the mtb hours you have in so far this year. I would do a mtb cock off ride but I can ride by myself anytime.

My Fatboy's stock aluminum wheels lasted about 2000 miles. The carbon Nextie's I bought from @jimvreeland have about 3000 on them and they are still running great. They have some scrapes and a chunk or two missing, but they have no cracks and are still true and holding air. These wheels see a considerable amount of rocks.

Might not want to tell NICA that.

Mercer, Core Creek, Baldpate/Washington Crossing. I ride to these from my work/house. F driving.

NICA, isn't that a kid's race? nuff said. Baldpate isn't bad, but I'd be more impressed if you said Water Co.

Ok, lets ride Mercer and see how long you can hold my wheel. :)

Yep, challenging the retiree to a race will certainly prove how frivolous the purchase of a component that is universally acknowledged as the single best (non-disposable) place to spend your upgrade dollars (lighter/stiffer). o_O I'm sure there's no way he'll feel the difference climbing the switchbacks at chimney.... You know, lower rotational mass at low speed'n all.:rolleyes:

How bout youz two arm wrestle to settle it?:p

Looks like no mtb for awhile with all this rain. I was thinking about improvements on the horsethief. Currently have WTB Scraper alum rims and 3" Nobby nic tires. Would a move to carbon rims and 2.8" tires make a significant/noticeable difference?

In my eyes, carbon rims make a bigger difference on 27+ than on 29". It isn't about weight. It's about the stiffness of the rim and the acceleration. You can for sure take out my hightower W/enve wheels to test it for yourself. I'm not riding it anytime soon.

I would do carbon. In my experience lightweight aluminum is more of a headache than carbon. When you run low PSI a lightweight aluminum rim will dent and unseat the tire. (anyone remember my HED ordeal?) Also, the Stan's HUGO is the worst rim ever made on the history of the earth. You'll break it just seating the tire. I have a set in the shop if you want to see for yourself, you can bend the rims just from pushing them with your thumb.

Curious of those hugos are the 1st or second gen. The first gen was a disaster and they actually took back the rims we had. The v2 looks a lot better.

On the carbon front, we have seen some super bad failures on the china carbon stuff, but basically the Enve stuff is fully bombproof.

The impact testing on the alloy rims is totally laughable as compared to carbon. This all comes down to design, layup and testing. Not all carbon rims are the same.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/415665/

So 27.5+ seems to be on the mind of many of late. I thought I might start a dedicated thread to this concept. I am intrigued for sure and I wonder if this will be a fad or something much more.

My take so far is that as a 29er fan I can always run 29" wheels on any 27+ bike, which is cool since you can get 2 totally different rides out of the same frame.

Here is a clip of a recent review of a Jamis 27+ bike:

I am curious how this will play out. Thoughts??

Just gimme the area he's riding in!!!

Back
Top Bottom