the next big thing - Super Monster Cross?

people always looking for a bike that they can use 5% of the time.

Forget that life.

For some reason I thought the general thinking amongst cyclist has swung towards versitile bikes. For me the ideal set up is one bike with two wheel sets.

I'm sorry but I read through this and all I can say is that why are people making so many excuses to turn a road bike into an mtb? Just ride your damn mtb on the road. Oh sorry it doesn't have drop bars...put drop bars on your mtb. Done! I'm as much for N+1 as anyone else but this just doesn't make sense to me. :)

Don't you own like 12 mountain bikes? One for every different type of leaf you might pass on the trail? All you need is one. Imagine this is the same as that, but for road.

If you're in the area ever Walter, this is an employee bike we keep on the floor at the shop. It's dope.

20180215_101401.jpg

I have soma eagle bars I swap on my 29er (and a rigid fork, for bikepacking ). The bars work with my current stem since they pull the grips back towards the rider. They kind of split the difference between drops and flat bars. Similar to the jones bar. Kind of goofy but I find them comfy.
IMG_3158.JPG

seems like everyone already said some things i was saying, but i typed all this out and i don't want to delete it:

honest question, since i do enjoy taking my cx bike on ST and riding to and from locations;

where else would you ride one of these things? in my eyes, most CX bikes can handle a 40mm tire, is 40mm not enough for what you are looking to do with these? at some point, isn't the tire too big for that type of riding? the 35mm tires i've been riding on the road while i do a frame swap are slow as hell and making me second guess 35mm for gravel racing.

like riding from home to six mile and back was always rad on the CX bike, but i can't imagine i'd want more tire anywhere else. it's not like the wider tire on these, you can suddenly crush chimney rock, right?

similar thoughts...

my cx/ gravel bike is set up with somewhat nobby 35mm tires. I can ride it on non-technical trails (allaire, tatum, huber, etc.) and like the change of pace (indeed is a different , fun and more challenging experience compared to the mtb) AND I can ride it on the road (sure its not as fast as a true road bike with skinnier tires but it is FAR faster than riding the road on the MTB).

so, while putting 2 inch tires on a cross bike would make it somewhat better on the trails than a cross bike with 35mm tires, the drop bars would negate the benefit somewhat. further, with 2+ inch tires you arent getting any benefit on the road compared to your mtb. so, I dont really get it. but, hey, to each his own.....

There's a few companies making stems to properly fit drops on mtbs. They are funny looking but that's what a short but high rise stem looks like.

https://crustbikes.com/products/the-limp-dick-stem-pre-order/
seen the similar ones from VO, have you tried aerobar which I see commonly now on bikepacking bike?

Different stem.
I have trouble finding a good compromise
My medium 29r frames are about 610mm ETT and I ride 54cm road bikes. No way to really make up the 70cm without some really odd steering feel.
Going down one size helps but really need to go to XS to make it work. My Transition TransAm has a short ETT, let me see how it feels with a Cowbell

A stem swap is not usually enough. In most cases a drop bar and road shifter set will push the front end out another 80-100mm. Running a stem that's 100mm shorter isn't an option if you're riding a normal sized bike. This is even less possible with a more modern MTB geo with longer TTs and short stems stock. In short, it doesn't work well or feel good which is why Salsa and others designed these bikes in the first place.

Anyone local sell Kona's? Looks like the new Kona Sutra LTD has thru axle front/rear and take tires up to 2.3.
Jenson has the 52 size only but I'm in search of the 54.
1518729142470.png

a real bargain based on current offerings

seen the similar ones from VO, have you tried aerobar which I see commonly now on bikepacking bike?
I've never done any multi day trips, so aero bars would be overkill. Maybe one day, but mostly I get the urge to camp and an overnighter scratches that itch. I would rather camp near some great trails and ride those trails from one campsite.

The aero extensions not only serve the purpose of multiple hand positions, but also a place to hang your gear. More times than not a stuff sack mounted to the front end of a road bike will rub the front tire. Hanging it from an aero bar eliminates that.

Built up this bad baby last night and took it for a shake down this evening. Built it because...Why not. It's fun to try different things...Twin Six Rando frame on 650B Easton EA70 AX disc wheels with Skinwall WTB Byway 47c rubber.
T07aTnD.jpg

Built up this bad baby last night and took it for a shake down this evening. Built it because...Why not. It's fun to try different things...Twin Six Rando frame on 650B Easton EA70 AX disc wheels with Skinwall WTB Byway 47c rubber.
T07aTnD.jpg
nice, I was looking at a green one with fenders
thoughts on the ride?

I've never done any multi day trips, so aero bars would be overkill. Maybe one day, but mostly I get the urge to camp and an overnighter scratches that itch. I would rather camp near some great trails and ride those trails from one campsite.

I've done a couple multi-day trips. I couldn't imagine doing it on flat-bars due to the one position.

I saw a few people with aerobars while on tours and was jealous. It was a way to get an extra position where you can just lean over and relax for a bit.

Jim mentioned aerobars for a front bag, but that's what specific handlebar mount bags, or decailleur/front rack bags are for...

Hmmmmm.....so XC mountain bikes from the 80's and 90's evolve into wider bars and bigger tires, front suspension then full suspension.
Now road bikes evolve into 80's xc mountain bikes but reverse the letters from xc to cx. I feel like 2019 will bring a CX bike with front supspension from Rockshox. It will be named Judy. Its travel will not exceed 50mm until 2020 when Judy SL will take it to 75mm.

T07aTnD.jpg

Got the same tires on the WTF now.

Hmmmmm.....so XC mountain bikes from the 80's and 90's evolve into wider bars and bigger tires, front suspension then full suspension.
Now road bikes evolve into 80's xc mountain bikes but reverse the letters from xc to cx. I feel like 2019 will bring a CX bike with front supspension from Rockshox. It will be named Judy. Its travel will not exceed 50mm until 2020 when Judy SL will take it to 75mm.

not quite, I read this somewhere today which made a bit of sense

Monster cross bikes today are CX bikes as if designed by mountain bikers, what we generally call cross bikes are more genealogically a kin to road bikes.

Back
Top Bottom