The MetsThread

Not questioning Mickey yet but sending Nimmo down for a triple A pitcher? I mean Sewald hasn't barely sniffed a relief spot yet? I guess out of options and giving the kid some at bats.

Ya think Robles doesn't want to be sent down ????

2-0/5 games/5.0 ip/ 10 so/1.8 era

one bad pitch to bryce harper.....only blemish

if they did that intentionally, it was brilliant.

My brother texted me the other day to tell me he did the math and figured out that with as many games as they have left against teams like the Marlins, if they can win most of those, they basically only have to go .500 against the rest of the league to finish with 90 wins, which should be enough to put them in the playoffs. I will continue to wait for the other shoe to drop, since I've been down this road so many times before, but he makes a pretty good point. I think they play the Marlins 16 more times this year, and the Padres 6 times. That's 22 games against legitimate doormats they should be able to (mostly) win. If you throw in a few losses there and offset those with a few good games over what they've done so far against the rest of the league, this team has a pretty straight road to 90 wins if they don't totally shit the bed. And while 90 wins is no special number in its own right, it should mean a shot at the playoffs.

But, of course, as all of us who root for this team know, "if they don't totally shit the bed" is always a big "if".

But, of course, as all of us who root for this team know, "if they don't totally shit the bed" is always a big "if".

Let's see how Wheeler does today. And maybe it's just me, but does Syndergard seem a little off? He's been effective but I haven't seen his ace stuff yet. Granted I haven't watch every in in he's thrown. Maybe I'm being too critical too early?

Let's see how Wheeler does today. And maybe it's just me, but does Syndergard seem a little off? He's been effective but I haven't seen his ace stuff yet. Granted I haven't watch every in in he's thrown. Maybe I'm being too critical too early?

I saw him pitch opening day and he was on then - he struck out 10 in five innings (he actually pitched six innings but had no K's in the last inning he threw.) That's two per inning. He was consistently throwing his fastball over 98 and, much more impressive, he was throwing his damn slider around 93. That isn't off. I haven't had the chance to see him since then, so I don't know if he's continued that. But anytime someone can throw a slider consistently over 90 mph, that's someone who's got pretty good stuff working for them. I always worry about that with him - the slider is one of the hardest pitches on the arm. But having that in his arsenal has been one of the things that's really separated him from a few other flame throwers in the league right now. He knows how to use it to his advantage and as a result at 90+ mph, opposing hitters have like a nano-second to figure out if he's throwing them straight heat or the slider. Straight heat is impressive on the gun, but it's not going to beat today's hitters. Having that extra pitch in his arsenal is what is going to make him more like Verlander than someone like, say, a Matt Anderson (he was a guy who threw straight heat for the Tigers in the 90's or so and didn't become what they thought he would because he couldn't really mix it up.)

So he may be off a bit, but I don't worry too much about him beyond seeing him stay healthy. And I think (hope) he learned his lesson last year about that.

i don't think they should have started taunting harper in the bottom of the 7th. bad juju..

Back
Top Bottom