The MetsThread

bleeding dodger blue.....
fake news, but it's hard to root for LA with this douche in the clubhouse
webmanfred13s-uuq-web.jpg

la-sp-dodgers-chase-utley-20160526-snap

Yep, that would be the behavior I was referring to..... ;)

Pretty sure after 50 years of this $&@& I’m used to it. o_O

Just remember who brought up the Yankees first. I'm just responding to the peanut gallery. ;)

I liked Carlos, though not a favorite for most Met fans
Happy retirement and hope you're eventually enshrined as a Metropolitan

CarlosBeltran1977.jpg

BTW, the HOF ballot was released yesterday
Look at all them Mets, can you pick all of them?

Barry Bonds
Chris Carpenter
Roger Clemens
Johnny Damon
Vladimir Guerrero
Livan Hernandez
Trevor Hoffman
Orlando Hudson
Aubrey Huff
Jason Isringhausen
Andruw Jones
Chipper Jones
Jeff Kent
Carlos Lee
Brad Lidge
Edgar Martinez
Hideki Matsui
Fred McGriff
Kevin Millwood
Jamie Moyer
Mike Mussina
Manny Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Johan Santana
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Jim Thome
Omar Vizquel
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Kerry Wood
Carlos Zambrano

I liked Carlos, though not a favorite for most Met fans
Happy retirement and hope you're eventually enshrined as a Metropolitan

CarlosBeltran1977.jpg
And his bat is STILL on his shoulder.:mad:

Good guy, he gave a lot to the Mets.... but that image of called strike 3 will never leave me.:(

And his bat is STILL on his shoulder.:mad:

Good guy, he gave a lot to the Mets.... but that image of called strike 3 will never leave me.:(

Me too. My younger brother is bordering on "superfan" status (he chose his first apartment based on proximity to Citifield) and even he got sick of me mumbling "called third strike ..." every time Beltran's name came up. In my defense, though, it did take what had been one of my best birthdays ever and just ruined it in seconds. And I've tried to let it go -- I try to look back on that series as the "Endy's catch" series. But it doesn't work ... I mean, come one - he let fucking straight heat go by him with two strikes ... dammit. I think if it weren't for actually being there to see another team win the series in NY, that would be the low point of my Mets fandom. And that's an incredible statement from anyone who's been a Met fan for over 40 years. Finding a single lowest point for any Met fan is like picking out a specific water molecule from the ocean. But for a while there, it was definitely Carlos going down looking. Seeing Duda throw away a season with shitty defense live trumps it, but not by much.

regular season: Luis Castillo dropping the ball w 2 outs in the 9th against the yankees - scoring 2.

General note: letting Kaz Matsui play short, and moving Reyes to second

addl post season: Armando blowing the 2000WS G1 save - mets go down 1,2,3 in the 10-12th innings. Turk is still talking to the ball. (i have a signed rookie card if anyone wants it - 1 beer)

and one of my personal favorites - Kenny Rogers. BALL 4. 1999 NLCS G6 in extra innings against atlanta to walk in the winning run

BTW, the HOF ballot was released yesterday
Look at all them Mets, can you pick all of them?

Barry Bonds
Chris Carpenter
Roger Clemens
Johnny Damon
Vladimir Guerrero
Livan Hernandez
Trevor Hoffman
Orlando Hudson
Aubrey Huff
Jason Isringhausen
Andruw Jones
Chipper Jones
Jeff Kent
Carlos Lee
Brad Lidge
Edgar Martinez
Hideki Matsui
Fred McGriff
Kevin Millwood
Jamie Moyer
Mike Mussina
Manny Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Johan Santana
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Jim Thome
Omar Vizquel
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Kerry Wood
Carlos Zambrano

I might be missing some guys who may have spent a moment in Queens, but I see Izzy, Kent, Santana and Wagner. I don't think any of them make it into the Hall, and if any of them did, the only one who might do so as a Met could be Santana, and even that's unlikely. If Izzy made the hall, it'd have to be as a Cardinal, and Kent would have to go as a Giant I would think. I don't know if Wagner spent enough time on any team to make that call. Santana has the only Mets no-hitter, so that could be a reason there but other than that, I'd say he'd have go with the Twins.

This list cracks me up, though. Jamie Moyer for the Hall? He lasted a long time, sure, but he defined the term "journeyman" during his career. And I think his fastball was in the low 50's by the time he retired. And Andruw Jones became so bad by the time he finished playing that he'd have struggled on a beer league softball team. Scott Rolen will never get in, but maybe they could list him in pieces to give him a better shot -- like, "Scott Rolen's left elbow" or "Scott Rolen's right tibealis anterior". You know - just list the parts that didn't land him on the DL for extended periods of time. It would be a short list. And Kevin Millwood should just be happy they didn't mis-spell his name on the ballot and be done with it.

I think there are a few guys who should make it on this list, even if most of them had their best years during the juicehead era. Putting that aside, I'd say Bonds, Clemens, Guerrero, Manny, Sosa and Thome should be in it for sure. (And I really hope the voters get over the whole steroid thing because I would actually like to see Sosa show up for the ceremony because I'm pretty sure he'll be translucent by then.) Other players who could be in the Hall but are understandably less immediate than those listed above would be McGriff, Hoffmann, Schilling (who was good but not as great over the full span of his career as many people remember him) and Edgar Martinez. Martinez will always suffer for his career as a DH, but that guy was really, really good. Mussina is intriguing but I don't know if he was ever quite as elite as some of his peers. and Kerry Wood is the king of "coulda been"s. If he stayed healthy, he'd have been a first ballot HOFer for sure.

mine are the 2007 and 2008 seasons, parallels to a girl flirting with you at a bar all night before leaving with your friend
Philly and Boston won it all those years, ironically my two most loathed MLB teams

regular season: Luis Castillo dropping the ball w 2 outs in the 9th against the yankees - scoring 2.

General note: letting Kaz Matsui play short, and moving Reyes to second

addl post season: Armando blowing the 2000WS G1 save - mets go down 1,2,3 in the 10-12th innings. Turk is still talking to the ball. (i have a signed rookie card if anyone wants it - 1 beer)

and one of my personal favorites - Kenny Rogers. BALL 4. 1999 NLCS G6 in extra innings against atlanta to walk in the winning run

The Gambler! I'd say something about him, but I'm afraid he'd somehow read it and assault me.

Also, anytime the names "Ollie Perez" or "Aaron Heilmann" are mentioned should be a low point for any Mets fan as well.

mine are the 2007 and 2008 seasons, parallels to a girl flirting with you at a bar all night before leaving with your friend
Philly and Boston won it all those years, ironically my two most loathed MLB teams

can we get 1 win in the last week of the season please? PLEASE!
ushering in the jerry manuel experiment.

Back
Top Bottom